CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews

Updated October 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People, company size, work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people; interesting work; laid back environment; (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • While I think CJ as a whole is doing great things and heading in the right direction, the New York office is a disaster (in 9 reviews)

• Channel is the smallest for most advertisers so it receives little budget (in 3 reviews)

"Solid Company, But"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of very smart engineers willing to mentor and bring up those less knowledgeable. The pair programming + test driven development helps greatly when learning and makes the codebase very robust.
    The hours are stable and rarely must you work more than 8 hours unless you need to stay for a deployment once in a while.
    Very well organized sprint cycles in an agile environment. The scrum methodology is executed very well here.

Cons

Pair programming can become quite tiring after a while and the experience will depend on whom you are working with on a particular day. They also force out a number of engineers each year to keep newer, fresher engineers coming into the company. This makes more room for newer developers+ideas coming in and pairing brings them up to speed fairly quickly. This is a horrible way to treat dedicated employees though and reflects poorly on management.
    I hope it's changed since I've been there.

"Good people but pay is not competitive"

Pros

- Smart, fun, and nice employees
    - Flexible time off
    - Good work/life balance
    - Can WFH as needed

Cons

- Very low pay compared to most marketing companies in the city
    - Medical benefits and budgets keep getting cut each year after ADS/Epsilon acquisition - I presume it will only get worse
    - No HR (or anyone else to step up in place of) so there's not much culture and synergy in the office
    - Management only seems to care about acquiring new clients and pleasing big clients without much care for their own employees. They are often disconnected from the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Culture needs to be improved in non-HQ offices. Employees who work in satellite offices are often disconnected.

3. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, company size, work/life balance

Cons

Not competitive with compensation package

"Great teams, poor management"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-social office
    -good work hours
    -Summer Fridays
    -strong new-hires

Cons

While I think CJ as a whole is doing great things and heading in the right direction, the New York office is a disaster. New hires have been great, but unfortunately with such a small office decisions are made by 2 or 3 people who have no idea what they're doing. Accounts and structures are changed on a whim, there is no continuity and minds are changed about important items daily. They don't seek any input about workloads, and then send an email "surprise" like teams are supposed to be excited about the constant change in direction. Clients are privy to the lack of organization and direction for this office, and there accounts suffer because of it.

Advice to Management

Hire new management? But seriously, this list could take hours to write. Most importantly, seek input of staff at all levels, don't make rash decision, and don't constantly change your mind once you've made changes.

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Many office locations allowing you to work around the country
    - Leader in affiliate space
    - Good vacation policy
    - (Recently) began hiring qualified, smart and reliable people
    - Last 6 months have changed dramatically. Began hiring more talented people. Positive future for company seems to be on horizon.

Cons

- Tedious, repetitive and monotonous work. Way too much time analyzing data and building decks for QBRs and then repeating the never ending process.
    - Product updates are often rolled out way too slowly and/or not finished.
    - Interdepartmental collaboration is next to none. Ad dev and pub dev often work against each other.
    - Channel is the smallest for most advertisers so it receives little budget. The incremental value affiliate provides for many is very little more often than not.
    - 75% analytics and 25% account management

Advice to Management

- Develop strategy on how to get pub dev and ad dev to work together towards one common goal.
    - Continue hiring people of the caliber you have within last 8 months.

6. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oxnard, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of great people. Learned a lot. Very knowledgeable engineers willing to share and mentor others.

Cons

Lot of turn over due to change of direction. The way some people were let go from the company was off putting.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

Dec 15, 2015 – CJ Culture Champion

Thank you for recognizing the great people at CJ and our talented engineers. We are continually working to improve our internal communication, so thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your... More

"Wealth of knowledge, but management less than awesome"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate coworkers. Good working principles and a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share.

Cons

Thr team leads have upper management's unwavering support, so the non-leadership employees are doubted whenever problems come up.
    Opportunities to work on different tech than usual are scarce, so the work might get boring.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Advertiser Account Representative
    Former Employee - Advertiser Account Representative

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than a year)

Pros

I came to CJ a year out of college and it was great way to dive straight into the digital world. They do a great job of training you on all things affiliate and then putting you on accounts that fit with your experience level. I was lucky in that I had great senior managers and directors that really helped with my employee development. Additionally I also had great accounts which made my job a lot better! They do a great job of fostering growth with leadership clubs and employee training!

Cons

It's a young company and there's a lot of employee turnover. I think the majority of it comes from many not understanding what affiliate is versus the company itself. I had a great experience working there, but I always wanted to transition more into full digital which is the reason I left.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee development and creating a positive company culture! Now that CJ is under the ADS umbrella it feels more corporate, which takes away from its vibrant advertising culture.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

Dec 15, 2015 – CJ Culture Champion

Thank you for the great feedback and for recognizing so many of the things that make CJ great! Your constructive feedback is also very helpful. We have already incorporated your feedback into our... More

"Current Employee"

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and great people to work with. Company encourage team outings to get to know your team well.

Cons

Pay is subpar and they are currently taking away a lot of the benefits package. The structure is fading and employees demeanor has started to fade since the company was bought out

10. "Webmasters get the worst end of the stick"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Auto payment
    - Huge list of companies
    - Multiple types of promotion

Cons

- If an advertiser revokes the amount make, CJ won't interfere and dodge the questioning of the advertiser. "I lost $4,500 when an advertiser pulled the earnings"
    - CJ will dodge the questions because they don't want to be held responsible with legality issues with advertisers
    - Lost leads due to adblockers

Advice to Management

Be straight forward and don't prolong the issue when legal issues are present