CJ Affiliate by Conversant Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 9 reviews

4.9
CJ Affiliate by Conversant CEO Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi
  1. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

CJ Engineering makes a point of hiring competent and cooperative people and then enabling them to learn and grow. The department is continuously examining itself and its practices for ways to improve and then implementing those improvements.

Cons

Legacy platform slows innovation. Many strong, independent minds sometimes lead to difficulties in coordinating efforts.

Advice to Management

Hire more! Existing engineers are stretched thin maintaining multiple competencies to cover all the required work!

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2019-05-19

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Engineers are given autonomy to choose the tools and processes that solve the business demands - Good work/life balance - Experienced and friendly colleagues - Cutting-edge technologies, agile development

Cons

- Nothing significant so far

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback from the team members.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2018-07-17

"Solid Company, But"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

There's a lot of very smart engineers willing to mentor and bring up those less knowledgeable. The pair programming + test driven development helps greatly when learning and makes the codebase very robust. The hours are stable and rarely must you work more than 8 hours unless you need to stay for a deployment once in a while. Very well organized sprint cycles in an agile environment. The scrum methodology is executed...

Cons

Pair programming can become quite tiring after a while and the experience will depend on whom you are working with on a particular day. They also force out a number of engineers each year to keep newer, fresher engineers coming into the company. This makes more room for newer developers+ideas coming in and pairing brings them up to speed fairly quickly. This is a horrible way to treat dedicated employees though and...

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2016-07-15

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oxnard, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant part-time for more than 6 years

Pros

A lot of great people. Learned a lot. Very knowledgeable engineers willing to share and mentor others.

Cons

Lot of turn over due to change of direction. The way some people were let go from the company was off putting.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2015-12-13

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

December 15, 2015CJ Culture Champion

Thank you for recognizing the great people at CJ and our talented engineers. We are continually working to improve our internal communication, so thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your reaction to recent staffing changes.

"Wealth of knowledge, but management less than awesome"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Smart, passionate coworkers. Good working principles and a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share.

Cons

Thr team leads have upper management's unwavering support, so the non-leadership employees are doubted whenever problems come up. Opportunities to work on different tech than usual are scarce, so the work might get boring.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2015-11-06

"Great Environment for Software Engineers"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in West Lake Village, GA

Pros

CJ is a very good place for software engineers. People are nice and smart there. They are very passionate about coding and willing to teach you. I really like the extreme programing methodology because I get to pair up with a team member and stay productive. I recommend CJ if you are looking for a good software engineering job.

Cons

The office is not design for software engineers.

Advice to Management

Please redesign the office.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2015-09-04

"Engineering: Best of both worlds (startup vs stable company)"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer, Team Lead in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

I came to CJ on the heels of a very small startup experience, where I had absolute freedom to choose the best tools for the job. So, I was worried that moving to a stable company would mean a dramatic loss of freedom to choose my own tools & approaches. Thankfully, life at CJ Engineering has been largely the opposite: I have the benefits of a larger company (stable employment, lots of other talent to push/challenge...

Cons

CJ is part of a much broader ecosystem of wholly-owned companies; occasionally this comes down in the form of goofy HR policies and drab office environments, although the latter is poised to change soon.

Advice to Management

Keep building and nurturing the spirit of innovation in CJ Engineering, stop the HR goofiness, and make the physical office environments more sexy, dynamic, and innovative.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2015-08-18
  8. "Excellent company by engineers for engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake, LA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

This company is great. There is a very laid back and engineer friendly environment. People at CJ are very passionate about computer science and will happily share their knowledge. The company promotes from within all the way to the top.

Cons

Sometimes the parent company Valueclick creates certain levels of red tape that can be kind of intrusive.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2013-10-09

"Great work environment."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant

Pros

Work environment. When I joined the company two years ago, engineering was in the process of switching to an agile work environment. Since then they have remained committed to the process and working on ways to improve it. The agile process is a resounding success and I very much prefer over a waterfall approach. Management treats employees with trust and respect. We set our deadlines and management improves, instead...

Cons

Benefits. Compared to where I worked previously everything is worse on the benefits side. No options/restricted stock plan, no performance incentives, we could use more vacation days, and I think they could pay more of the premium on the health insurance.

Advice to Management

Make the benefits better, add some sort of way for employees to share in company profits, and let's expand our product line into new niches.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant2008-06-18