CMC Biologics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.8
Gustavo Mahler, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I work with many genuinely good people who want to make things better" (in 4 reviews)

• "The people there are nice and there is good work/life balance" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "The lack of leadership and lack of people management in the leadership team is something I have never seen before" (in 4 reviews)

• "You have people writing batch records that give ZERO thought to the people that actually use them" (in 3 reviews)

"Fast paced and dynamic place"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company when you enjoy challenging and fun paced work environment. Strong team spirit and comraderies. It’s not for everyone. If you’re looking to not use your brain too much and a place to just chill and park yourself, don’t come here.

Cons

A lot of variety and challenge, it’s not easy to turn off sometimes.

Advice to Management

There’s been changes for the better, more training for managers and teams. There’s more communications now than before. Bad behaving employees are no longer tolerated. You’re taking the right steps and the right direction. Keep it up!

"Don't. Just...don't."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Bothell, WA

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, relationships with peers are easy to form and help build a work ethic on the manufacturing floor. Smart people will network, gather enough material to put it on their resume, and immediately seek employment elsewhere. Old employees will usually offer up positions at their new company to their peers.

Split shift schedules, so work/life balance is good. Makes it easier to set appointments during the week when they're needed.

Cons

Management and Supervision are completely out of touch with what's required to assist their team. You'll get more advice in terms of professional development from the person in your cubicle than you will from one in the office. End result? A constantly revolving door of associates. Recruiting tactics have shifted from people who have actual manufacturing/work experience to snatch up new college grads with extremely low on-the-job experience. Some rise up, most don't.

HR also falls under the "revolving door" category. I never ran into a HR representative that actually understood the company's policies and resources until I worked here. Payroll isn't even done by ADP or some sort of automated program. Instead, you have one company "veteran" who thinks that you can run payroll for a 100+ employee site the same way you could when you had 12. You never know when you'll receive your overtime pay.

Things like this might not be felt by new(er) employees, but those who try to stick it through for more than a year tend to have had enough. Retention of senior and experienced operators, for lack of a better word, sucks.

Company underpays by a large margin when compared to the surrounding biotech companies and offers bonus and raise programs that would be laughed out of many other established companies. Bonus payouts can't ever be guaranteed and promises to pay constantly shift throughout the year. Each year, we were told that we "didn't REALLY earn bonuses," but they begrudgingly gave us 1-3% anyway. They seem to have no issue throwing money into the real estate business, but freak out when you mention it should go towards employee retention.

Advice to Management

Purge and replace. You had your chance, you failed. You decided to buy a new $5 million building when you already can't even keep employees and expect to fill that site? You set yourselves up for failure and tried to take us all with you.

3. "Not great experience."

Former Employee - Development in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Development in Bothell, WA

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of work and lots of learning opportunities if, only if, there is good guidance from managers or other leaders.

Cons

Salary is not good.

Advice to Management

The whole company management should really act on retaining employees. Otherwise doing survey is a waste of mutual effort.

"Demoralizing place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

None right now. Deceptive job summaries.

Cons

Rules are establish day to day. No solid foundation. Good people are leaving.

Advice to Management

Keep a temporary agency in your facilities permanent. Nobody wants to work there .

"It just keeps getting worse"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

I get paid, that's about it.

Cons

This place just gets worse and worse by the day. Just when you think it can't get any worse, wait for tomorrow. It will be worse. That is the history of this place.

Just a few months ago, I felt like things were going in a better direction. We had people that genuinely cared and honestly tried to help us and make the company a better place. But in true CMC fashion, those people were let go, or they just left on their own accord. The good ones are gone, and now we're stuck with the people that can't go anywhere else.

We have an RA department that doesn't do anything RA related. It's a total joke. If there is anyone we need to get rid of, "RA" should be the first to go. Waste of money.

QA is horrendous. If this is our last line of defense, consider ourselves defenseless. We have ex teachers, ex security guards, little kids, and old weather beaten tans, but no one with any REAL QA experience. Everyone that was any good has either been fired, or they just left to get out of this circus.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

"Excellent opportunities here now"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The restructuring has definitely helped. The new people are a significant improvement on many of those who left. The new hiring approach seems to put a premium on things like ability, composure and work ethic rather than credentials and certificates. It's working so far.

Cons

A few employees seem to blame their own personal failures and unhappiness on the company. The truth is there was a desperate need for recognition and validation that could not be met and that disappointment has turned into anonymous glassdoor attacks on employees who stayed. They came overpriviledged in vehicles their parents purchased. They left in tears for contract jobs and now spend their spare time on glassdoor trying to retroactively fix a company they left.

Advice to Management

The decision to ignore the demands of the hysterical and the entitled were correct. The growing pains of cultivating your own work force free from self entitled drama and emotional instability are well worth it.

""Keep your resume updated""

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

CMC as a company has lofty goals and good intentions. Every single day minor miracles are worked on the manufacturing floor to be able to produce quality product.

I work with many genuinely good people who want to make things better.

Cons

Imagine that you came to work every day for the same company for 15 years. Did you job. Managed your team. Drove improvements. Stepped in for over a year to cover the loss of your boss when he was abruptly fired. Your team gave you the highest marks on the company surveys. HR came in to talk to your team because your team seemed to have an unusually high morale score on the company survey.

Now imagine that you walk into work one day, and find out that you no longer work there. No previous conversations about "restructuring", no indication that you had done anything wrong. Just a pink slip.

Take the job because money is money, but keep your resume updated.

Advice to Management

When talking about employee retention, practice what you preach.

"Never been happier to be gone."

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on department you will be working with some good people...or you won't. Near miss reports are always a good time... "I hurt my ankle standing up from my over worked chair"

Cons

3-2-3-5
    I had 3 different site heads, 2 different manufacturing managers, 3 different direct managers and at least 5 different supervisors in a span of 2 years. Raises and promotions are based on reviews from my management yet every review is from someone different who just met me.

Some people get paid to literally drink coffee and come up with quick remarks yet it has somehow become something everyone needs to relieve the stress. so keep up the good work?

They promote people who send out lots of emails (the only way upper management will take notice of you) yet don't actually do any work or help in any way. But the people doing all the actual work never get seen or heard. (this would imply our managers actually managed and came in to see who was doing the work)

You will spend half your work day fixing equipment for 1 sample. The following day it won't work again and the cycle repeats and has been repeated for years. Good thing CMC has the staff and isn't getting busier HA HA

"Make sure the rooms are clean for a tour" means shove everything into the already tight rooms so our clients can see the empty Hallway? At the expense of making our rooms unsafe, have zero work space, and cluttered.

They want a GMP facility yet they literally have rooms where water runs AWAY from the drain into other rooms. Don't worry the water source is next to those doors you don't want water to get into and a broken squeegee to constantly use.

You have people writing batch records that give ZERO thought to the people that actually use them. You came from manufacturing yet you put 73 tubing to batch 1700 liters. Great work Einstein! Now you can focus on the next way to give us more unwanted overtime and hassle.

The somewhat relaxed nature of CMC does not make up for all the BS management does or doesn't do... Grab a coffee, have a meeting, and ignore the agony this place brings to you and your employees. It's served you well so far....

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!😂

"Not worth the stress"

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

SOME people are pretty cool to work with.

Cons

Significantly understaffed, yet workload continuing to increase. Many 20+hr days.

"Managment has seroius issue and ignores most of them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people and generally good workers.

Cons

Some very lazy and unmotivated people.