CMC Biologics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.8
Gustavo Mahler, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I work with many genuinely good people who want to make things better (in 4 reviews)

• Overall, the people are friendly and professional and many employees will go out of their way to help you (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The turnover rate was high due, in part, to employees being burned out from extended (12-18hr) days (in 3 reviews)

• You have people writing batch records that give ZERO thought to the people that actually use them (in 3 reviews)

"Excellent opportunities here now"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The restructuring has definitely helped. The new people are a significant improvement on many of those who left. The new hiring approach seems to put a premium on things like ability, composure and work ethic rather than credentials and certificates. It's working so far.

Cons

A few employees seem to blame their own personal failures and unhappiness on the company. The truth is there was a desperate need for recognition and validation that could not be met and that disappointment has turned into anonymous glassdoor attacks on employees who stayed. They came overpriviledged in vehicles their parents purchased. They left in tears for contract jobs and now spend their spare time on glassdoor trying to retroactively fix a company they left.

Advice to Management

The decision to ignore the demands of the hysterical and the entitled were correct. The growing pains of cultivating your own work force free from self entitled drama and emotional instability are well worth it.

"It just keeps getting worse"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

I get paid, that's about it.

Cons

This place just gets worse and worse by the day. Just when you think it can't get any worse, wait for tomorrow. It will be worse. That is the history of this place.

Just a few months ago, I felt like things were going in a better direction. We had people that genuinely cared and honestly tried to help us and make the company a better place. But in true CMC fashion, those people were let go, or they just left on their own accord. The good ones are gone, and now we're stuck with the people that can't go anywhere else.

We have an RA department that doesn't do anything RA related. It's a total joke. If there is anyone we need to get rid of, "RA" should be the first to go. Waste of money.

QA is horrendous. If this is our last line of defense, consider ourselves defenseless. We have ex teachers, ex security guards, little kids, and old weather beaten tans, but no one with any REAL QA experience. Everyone that was any good has either been fired, or they just left to get out of this circus.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

"A place to work, if you have no qualifications"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

As mentioned in the title, this is a good place to get your foot in the door if you have no education or qualifications.

Cons

If you have no degree or previous experience, consider yourself hired. There is mfg staff and mfg managers creating life-saving drugs with no degree. They are doing critical calculations and ensuring the safety of your loved ones....right.

QA is worse than manufacturing. They are responsible for ensuring safety. However they consist of people straight out of college who cannot provide any guidance and have no backbone to call out things that are wrong. The one that does act like the know-it-all was previously a security guard and no formal education.

The turnover rate is horrendous. I guess when there is nobody left, you hold onto those that cannot go elsewhere. Average stay is 1 year.

Advice to Management

Recruit real talent. A warm body does not help the company.

""Keep your resume updated""

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

CMC as a company has lofty goals and good intentions. Every single day minor miracles are worked on the manufacturing floor to be able to produce quality product.

I work with many genuinely good people who want to make things better.

Cons

Imagine that you came to work every day for the same company for 15 years. Did you job. Managed your team. Drove improvements. Stepped in for over a year to cover the loss of your boss when he was abruptly fired. Your team gave you the highest marks on the company surveys. HR came in to talk to your team because your team seemed to have an unusually high morale score on the company survey.

Now imagine that you walk into work one day, and find out that you no longer work there. No previous conversations about "restructuring", no indication that you had done anything wrong. Just a pink slip.

Take the job because money is money, but keep your resume updated.

Advice to Management

When talking about employee retention, practice what you preach.

"Never been happier to be gone."

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on department you will be working with some good people...or you won't. Near miss reports are always a good time... "I hurt my ankle standing up from my over worked chair"

Cons

3-2-3-5
    I had 3 different site heads, 2 different manufacturing managers, 3 different direct managers and at least 5 different supervisors in a span of 2 years. Raises and promotions are based on reviews from my management yet every review is from someone different who just met me.

Some people get paid to literally drink coffee and come up with quick remarks yet it has somehow become something everyone needs to relieve the stress. so keep up the good work?

They promote people who send out lots of emails (the only way upper management will take notice of you) yet don't actually do any work or help in any way. But the people doing all the actual work never get seen or heard. (this would imply our managers actually managed and came in to see who was doing the work)

You will spend half your work day fixing equipment for 1 sample. The following day it won't work again and the cycle repeats and has been repeated for years. Good thing CMC has the staff and isn't getting busier HA HA

"Make sure the rooms are clean for a tour" means shove everything into the already tight rooms so our clients can see the empty Hallway? At the expense of making our rooms unsafe, have zero work space, and cluttered.

They want a GMP facility yet they literally have rooms where water runs AWAY from the drain into other rooms. Don't worry the water source is next to those doors you don't want water to get into and a broken squeegee to constantly use.

You have people writing batch records that give ZERO thought to the people that actually use them. You came from manufacturing yet you put 73 tubing to batch 1700 liters. Great work Einstein! Now you can focus on the next way to give us more unwanted overtime and hassle.

The somewhat relaxed nature of CMC does not make up for all the BS management does or doesn't do... Grab a coffee, have a meeting, and ignore the agony this place brings to you and your employees. It's served you well so far....

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!😂

"Transformers......Decepticons, not Autobots"

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

A great place to work if you have no experience or college education and want to get your foot in the pharma door.

Cons

To an outsider, it looks like the manufacturing building is full of qualified people in blue scrubs. But don't be deceived. Due to a restructure, this place is desperate to fill positions with just anybody. Mgmt has moved people around more than a checkerboard. It's as if they drew names out of hat to decide who is going to what department. Warehouse personnel & nighttime glasswashers are now in cell culture, someone who stocked booties is now in purification, and QA is in manufacturing. These people have never handled a pipette (and because of poor training, will not be taught properly on how to use one.) Would you trust them to produce your drugs? If you're hoping QA will catch the mistakes, good luck. These people are also either straight out of college, have no industry experience or have no QA experience. Would you trust them to release your drug?

If you get hired on, have actual experience and hope to learn from those around you, pray that you're paired up with someone who has real experience. There are maybe 5 people out of the bunch. Otherwise you'll be in limbo until you wake up and decide to find a new job.

Advice to Management

CMC ..... definitely NOT more than meets the eye.

"Not worth the stress"

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time

Pros

SOME people are pretty cool to work with.

Cons

Significantly understaffed, yet workload continuing to increase. Many 20+hr days.

"Managment has seroius issue and ignores most of them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people and generally good workers.

Cons

Some very lazy and unmotivated people.

"An Actual Review Worth Reading"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Bothell, WA

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CMC has a lot of opportunities for those that want to put forth the effort. There is a huge amount of growth potential - but its not just handed out. You have to actually earn it. The company has potential clients consistently coming through on tours, and the schedule is full through the next couple years. This equates to plenty of job security. Pay is somewhat competitive for the area, and the benefits are fairly standard.

Cons

Just like everyone biotech / CMO, CMC has its share of issues due to its constant changing of clients. Training has been an issue in the past, but there are steps in the works to rectify that.

The biggest "Con" at CMC is evidenced by the last 10 or so reviews on this website. The company has a few children that are so disgruntled that work here, that they try and use this forum among others to make those that actually work feel like they do. These people believe that their 6 months of industry experience at CMC entitles them to massive raises and continued promotions. And this is all while calling out from work consistently or taking extended breaks and dumping their work on those that actually work. Couple that with a complete lack of urgency or work ethic. They then wonder why they arent promoted or given the "respect" they deserve. If you are so unhappy, get a job somewhere else! What I find the most ridiculous is that these people that complain about the morale, are the ones contributing to that very issue.

And to those reading this, it is not the majority of people who are the complainers. It is a small group who are writing all these reviews. The likelihood is that it is a handful of people creating multiple email accounts to spam this site because they know they get a rise out of people. If you had a shred of dignity, you wouldnt spam this website ANONYMOUSLY! If you are so sure of what you're saying - give your name and stand up for what you believe in. For some reason you want to make these outlandish claims, but still retain your job...why is that? Oh, because the pay is better than what you'd make doing a true manual labor job, which would fire you for your inefficiencies within a week.

Advice to Management

Washington is an at-will work state. When you have people who dont work, or cant do their jobs - let them go. They are a drain on the company, and the work is already getting done without them. Their salaries could be better spent on people who want to be at CMC.

Take a look at industry standards for pay and 401K and align a little better. If CMC wants to retain employees, 401K and pay needs to be competitive with its competitors in the area.

"It is all lies"

Current Employee - Support in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Support in Bothell, WA

I have been working at CMC Biologics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have tried 4 times to submit a honest post within the rules.

Cons

I got rejected 4 times for talking the truth within their rules, AND I have screenshots that I will post else ware if they don't post this.

Advice to Management

CMC, You might think you can cover up your ..stuff(app said I cant curse), but I promise, it wont work. Apologize to your people. Offer a good package to bring people back. Pizza and ice cream parties make zero difference. My cat can run it better than you all.