CME Group Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

CME Group Chairman and CEO Terry Duffy
Terry Duffy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/ life balance and challenging upward mobility (in 17 reviews)

• Worked as Intern awaiting for the full time oppurtunity (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fostering a Culture of Innovation, Collaboration and Empowerment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fostering a spirit of innovation is something that CME Group excels in; I have been here for several years, and it is exciting and fulfilling to see new strategies and activities launched for employees to help them bring new ideas to life.

The collaborative nature of the organization, as well as the ability to take ownership of projects without any micro-management, are two key attributes that keep me at CME Group. I feel that I can grow my career here because I am enabled to run with ideas or projects, but can leverage teamwork and collaborating with smart people to help set me up for success.

Last year, I told my boss that I needed more collaboration and strategy in my day to day work to feel engaged, and he was able to put me on projects with visibility across divisions - I finished the year with a restored energy for my job.

Cons

You need to ask for something if you want it; don't just assume management knows what you need to be successful.

Mar 15, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thanks so much for your input. It’s always great to get positive feedback and hear that our employees are feeling empowered in the work that they do to help advance our business around the world.

"Great people & cutting-edge technology"

Current Employee - Technologist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technologist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an intern in Technology. The tech internship program was the best part of the summer; Lots of opportunities to grow and learn but also social events. The technology team gives you every chance to explore the company and make an impact. The people are CME really care about one another, there’s no cut throat culture like at start-ups. It’s also a stable place to work; Too big too fail. 23 PTO days when you start, and 9 holidays—which is almost unheard of!

Cons

Lots of layers in management, pretty standard for a “large” company though. As long as you have a good manager supporting you, you have nothing to worry about.

Advice to Management

Some politics do exist, but keep listening to your employees!

3. "Sr. Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay.
    Great Benefits and balance.

Cons

none at this current time.

4. "Great place to learn"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is usually friendly with younger folks, 'open door policy', learning resources abundant

Cons

complex business structure, lots of information resides with individuals (can be hard to find documentation)

Advice to Management

make sure you are providing opportunities for young folks...the future is in the youth...doing things like cutting the education benefit and eliminating wellness programs do not look good

Nov 6, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for your recommendation. We appreciate you sharing your feedback. With respect to your comments on tuition benefits, our education assistance program remains twice as generous as the... More

"Good, but not great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CME's work life balance is great. Employees are smart and dedicated. Comp is very competitive and benefits, particularly the pension and stock, are very competitive.

Cons

Siloed organization that talks about collaboration and accountability but doesn't follow through on it. There is bad behavior - backchanneling and sabotage - at some of the highest levels of leadership. Employees are rewarded more for time in role than performance, so if you value promotion due to performance, you might find this environment challenging. Investments are spread too thin across too many priorities, making it hard to see/feel like there is progress.

Advice to Management

Change things up at the leadership level by bringing in others from the outside. Set tighter expectations of each other, create more trust at the top and it will carry down to the other levels.

Nov 6, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts and couldn’t agree more with the pros you noted. We are especially proud of the talent and dedication that extends across our team and are glad that you... More

6. "Quant risk management"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group as an intern

Pros

Really nice team. I had a great manager who was very knowledgeable. Great work culture

Cons

They convert to full-time only on the basis of availability. Hence, the chances are dull.

7. "consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's the top exchange in the world, and company culture is great. People in the company is very talent, you can a lot here.

Cons

Salaries is not that competitive compared with other companies especially for entry level, but it is still okay to leave in Chicago.

"So many needless layers"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong brand, for now, protected market

Cons

Outsourcing, cost squeezes, bureaucratic rules

Advice to Management

When your best employees are leaving or stuck under managers in self-preservation mode, how do you expect to stay competitive?

"Former Trader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for success is now minimal

Cons

Computers have taking over for humans

Advice to Management

No chance

"Excellent place to work - if you are in Bangalore"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is on par with industry. Good business model since most of the revenue is fee based with minimum risk.

Cons

Bangalore is the only office which is growing. Employees are slowly being let go from NYC office. This is being done one or two at a time to keep it under the radar. All the values and principles of the firm are only on paper. In practice there is rampant corruption (especially in technology vendors), favoritism and red tape. Dissenting viewpoints though encouraged in training and meetings are your way out of the firm in practice.

Promotions are not based on merit but on who you know,

Advice to Management

Management know exactly what it's doing. They are getting rid of US employees and growing the Bangalore office.

Oct 16, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review. While we don’t share your observations, we take your feedback seriously and encourage you to reach out to Human Resources at... More