CME Group Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

CME Group Chairman and CEO Terry Duffy
Terry Duffy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/ life balance and challenging upward mobility (in 17 reviews)

• Frequent senior management changes (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fostering a Culture of Innovation, Collaboration and Empowerment"

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fostering a spirit of innovation is something that CME Group excels in; I have been here for several years, and it is exciting and fulfilling to see new strategies and activities launched for employees to help them bring new ideas to life.

The collaborative nature of the organization, as well as the ability to take ownership of projects without any micro-management, are two key attributes that keep me at CME Group. I feel that I can grow my career here because I am enabled to run with ideas or projects, but can leverage teamwork and collaborating with smart people to help set me up for success.

Last year, I told my boss that I needed more collaboration and strategy in my day to day work to feel engaged, and he was able to put me on projects with visibility across divisions - I finished the year with a restored energy for my job.

Cons

You need to ask for something if you want it; don't just assume management knows what you need to be successful.

Mar 15, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thanks so much for your input. It’s always great to get positive feedback and hear that our employees are feeling empowered in the work that they do to help advance our business around the world.

"Great Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of really skilled technical people work here doing interesting things. 40-hr weeks are the norm with work-from-home options for most tech workers. Decent salary and very good benefits.

Cons

Measures taken to reduce bureaucracy have led to more bureaucracy. There is always another process and yet another system to get simple things done.

Aug 17, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thanks for your review. We agree that we have some of the smartest people in the business working together to move our company forward. Our competitive total rewards program helps us attract this... More

3. "Quality Assurance Engineer"

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work life flexibility

Cons

Company Politics make it difficult for hard work people to rise up the ladder. Also, frequent frequent layoffs adds to low job stability.

"Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group as an intern

Pros

Very relaxed, lenient about start time, as long as you work 8 hours a day. Casual Fridays! I really think it depends on the department you work in. I got very lucky with mine.
    The internship program is great. A lot of networking events for interns, as well as intern events that allow us to network with other interns.

Cons

I have none so far.

"Mean and cutthroat technical people"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prestigious in the industry
    Flexible work times and schedules
    Good salary and benefits

Cons

Hard to be promoted
    Technical workers have a chip on their shoulders
    Bureaucratic
    Very slow paced
    People are allowed to be lazy when they are at higher levels

Advice to Management

Do some work. Be more involved in projects, realize that people on project teams are working hard, and need positive reinforcement sometimes. There is an overall negative tone from above. People should not be promoted into management just because of a history technical skills; if you do not have people skills or are lazy, you should probably not be in management.

Jul 10, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

We appreciate you highlighting our industry leadership and competitive compensation, benefits and work/life balance programs in your review. With respect to your other feedback, we encourage you to... More

"Nothing but cuts"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We used to be cutting edge tech, now every project gets shelved. Lots of rework.

Cons

All we do is fix consultant work. Best team members pushed out, but "it's not about money". Lots of "we've always" "we've never" "no headcount".

Advice to Management

The major IT shops are firing thousands because their quality is awful and more expensive in the long run. My best guys left and recruits turn down offers

Aug 17, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Technology is the largest division at the company, currently employing roughly 40% of our workforce. We also have a strong recruiting pipeline in place, hiring... More

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work is broad based, tons of exposure to the industry. I am personally very proud to work here. It is a name brand and a great jumping stone for future jobs.

Cons

Executives consistently send the message that the average age is too high. They want young millennials thinking they will reinvent the wheel. They preach about wanting leaders but by leading they really mean following them and spreading their message to others. Layoffs are annual now and often secretive but everyone always finds out anyway. The company has been having difficulty growing revenue and so to please shareholders they lower expenses and salary is a large part of that. Many employees feel that they just have a job and not a career. We provide ample opportunities for growth to staff that are Manager and below but not to middle mgmt.

Advice to Management

Stop being phoney. Employees see thru it. You would be more effective if you were honest.

Jun 5, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We couldn’t agree more with the pros you noted. As a leader in our industry, we’re focused on giving our employees the opportunity to do... More

"Good benefits"

Former Employee - N/A in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - N/A in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary

Cons

Constantly reorganizing, waves of lay offs which has created low morale

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talented co-workers, great work/life balance, leading company in the industry and also very innovative, strong compensation package

Cons

standard challenges of a large organization. Sometimes politics can get in the way of higher performers getting promoted

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention so you can know which employees are truly making an impact

May 17, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for the input. We’re always happy to hear positive feedback. We also appreciate you sharing your thoughts on how we can do even better.

"Excellent employer"

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits of working at CME group include the compensation program, excellent benefit package, work life balance. It's an exciting industry with lots of great people.

Cons

Sometimes the promotion process in general can be slower than expected and slower than other organizations. For some this is not a negative but can be for others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 17, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for your feedback – we couldn’t agree more on the pros you highlight. Career development is a key commitment we make to our employees. When it comes to promotions, 15% of our employees... More