CME Group Director Reviews | Glassdoor

CME Group Chairman and CEO Terry Duffy
Terry Duffy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/ life balance and challenging upward mobility (in 17 reviews)

• Frequent senior management changes (in 15 reviews)

"Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits of working at CME group include the compensation program, excellent benefit package, work life balance. It's an exciting industry with lots of great people.

Cons

Sometimes the promotion process in general can be slower than expected and slower than other organizations. For some this is not a negative but can be for others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 17, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for your feedback – we couldn’t agree more on the pros you highlight. Career development is a key commitment we make to our employees. When it comes to promotions, 15% of our employees... More

"Excellent place to work - if you are in Bangalore"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is on par with industry. Good business model since most of the revenue is fee based with minimum risk.

Cons

Bangalore is the only office which is growing. Employees are slowly being let go from NYC office. This is being done one or two at a time to keep it under the radar. All the values and principles of the firm are only on paper. In practice there is rampant corruption (especially in technology vendors), favoritism and red tape. Dissenting viewpoints though encouraged in training and meetings are your way out of the firm in practice.

Promotions are not based on merit but on who you know,

Advice to Management

Management know exactly what it's doing. They are getting rid of US employees and growing the Bangalore office.

"Director"

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work is broad based, tons of exposure to the industry. I am personally very proud to work here. It is a name brand and a great jumping stone for future jobs.

Cons

Executives consistently send the message that the average age is too high. They want young millennials thinking they will reinvent the wheel. They preach about wanting leaders but by leading they really mean following them and spreading their message to others. Layoffs are annual now and often secretive but everyone always finds out anyway. The company has been having difficulty growing revenue and so to please shareholders they lower expenses and salary is a large part of that. Many employees feel that they just have a job and not a career. We provide ample opportunities for growth to staff that are Manager and below but not to middle mgmt.

Advice to Management

Stop being phoney. Employees see thru it. You would be more effective if you were honest.

Jun 5, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We couldn’t agree more with the pros you noted. As a leader in our industry, we’re focused on giving our employees the opportunity to do... More

4. "Current employee"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

Lots of transitions in the last 3 years, creates opportunities, for those agile enough to react. Growing global footprint creates unique avenues of growth.

Cons

Past few years have lacked focus, that maybe improving with recent management. Better balance between governance and innovation needs to be achieved

Advice to Management

Better prioritize initiatives

"Great company to work for, highly competent people with long term focus"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competent people, good culture. Long term strategy and focus.

Cons

IT department is slow to implement changes and new projects.

Advice to Management

Convert consultants to full time employees

Mar 31, 2017 – CME Group Careers Lead

Thank you for the positive review! We couldn’t agree more that we’ve got great people, a strong company culture and a clear strategy for the future. We’re also happy to report that we’re focusing on... More

"Great place for a career"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at CME Group for 14+ years. During my time there I have worked in several different technology roles and departments. Each role has allowed me to grow in my career and expand my network. The benefits at CME have gotten better with the years and it would be pretty hard to beat at another company.

Cons

Decision making can be slow at times

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Randolph, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Randolph, NJ

I worked at CME Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Globex cash cow, great people, good benefits

Cons

Top down management, some dead wood still floating around

Advice to Management

Enjoy it while you can

"A drying well in a thirsty village"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Stable, routine, easy to coast
    -Bonus package and time off is nice
    -Good quality environment if you just want to come in a down a job

Cons

After two rounds of lay-offs, removal of naysayers, the organization has been left with an out of touch upper management supported by a middle management layer paranoid about its future in context evaporating opportunities.

The other recent reviews speak to this reality, no communication, no career progression, middle-management comprised of screaming alcoholics, etc. The once interesting opportunities are drying up quickly as the company has focused on “organic” growth and switched to cost-cutting and maintenance mode. It boggles the mind watching such a profitable company drive itself into the ground. The company maintains a cash balance of 1.8 billion dollars, margins of an incredible 61%, almost all of which is returned as a dividend to shareholders and barely a dime is reinvested in any sort of innovation. But why?! Do Google and Apple pay all earnings out as dividends and not re-invest to innovate? Would their shareholders like all cash returned as a dividend, I think not. Last time I checked, CME wasn’t a utility company, so what gives?

This “organic growth”(a euphemism for 0 re-investment) focus has left what remains in the middle-management layer scrambling to justify its existence in an ever shrinking pool of opportunity beyond business as usual work. The doer level employees are left with the scraps, despite having more to offer, while the management put themselves in front of meetings scrambling to drink from the ever drying well of opportunity, desperate to keep their spot. Ground level employees are left doing monotonous tasks and have no meaningful involvement, no opportunity, zero progression.

The resulting environment is one of resentment, indignation, boredom, and apathy among staff, and massive career insecurities at the middle manager level. Survival for the management layer is priority 1 and this only brings out the absolute worst in people, translating to back-stabbing, petty politics, abysmal management, no career development, lacking communication, and flagging employee morale.

Meanwhile over at the ED/MD/Sr MD rainbow unicorn palace in the sky, things couldn’t be better! Their middle management yes-men reports do what they’re told, never complain, and deliver their ever shrinking workloads with a smile. For the executives in the high castle, costs are being cut, profits are flying in(thanks macro-economic environment!), a reducing workload is being delivered, nobody is complaining, and bonus checks couldn’t be better, all of their efforts are a resounding success! Or are they? And what about those Engagement Survey results? What Engagement Survey results, Engagement Sur? Engage-a-what? Never heard of it. Career development? Oh yeah, just go to that online tool thingy and fill it in, yeah it’s real real important guys, we care.

Advice to Management

Stop paying out all profits in a dividend. Reinvest in the business, this company would have an amazing return on investment, we mint money as is, despite all the mismanagement. Wake up and smell the Engagement Survey! The kids are NOT alright. Communicate with your employees, acknowledge the problems, fix them. Cut the worthless middle layer, create a culture of 360 accountability, or just give us more opportunities via INVESTMENT and so the middle layer can finally have a real purpose. If these steps aren't taken CME is prime for take over!

"Safe choice"

I have been working at CME Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have to be strongly motivated and have to use a lot of energy to drive change and create value. The truth that is that you will not get a much higher financial reward if you work at improving things than if you spend the year "floating".

Cons

Company tries to give an image that it is changing, which would be greatly needed to gain in agility and effectiveness, the they change the base and not the leadership. They kept the same senior management which spend its time building their mini empire, focused on their personal gain rather than the company and their team without incentive to take risk to change and improve efficiency and effectiveness... Promotions and growth is still driven by the size of your organization and therefore stacking people without value creation....

Advice to Management

review the performance metrics and incentive in place for senior management to align them for long term gain and not short term turf wars.

"Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at CME Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people - Good work/life balance-nice benefits

Cons

Management is very Chicago centric and many in positions they should not hold. This company is relatively "new" and needs a clean out from the top down.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to please your old school share holders and clean out your mid level management.