CMG Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

CMG Partners Reviews

4.0
Rich Beatty and Russ Lange

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good place to grow and then leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at CMG Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire amazingly independent and creative people. You will like most of your coworkers. Flex hours. A great little boutique firm to use as a platform to grow in your career.

Cons

No work/life balance as you are expected to answer emails at 11 PM and at 6 AM, Senior Management is ill-equipped to handle their positions (they are all brilliant consultants, not managers), Most partners do not care about your life and treat the company like a personal playground with their attitudes and moods affecting your daily work life AND quarterly compensation, the HR department is a joke, they promote 'culture' without understanding what that means. High turnover, no personality, variable compensation (meaning about 70-80% of salary offer per year).

Advice to Management

Invest in your team, in HR, in company policy, and in being fair and kind. You have 2 out of 5 partners that are worth the time and job, and they are in DC.

2. "Smart people - Expect to work a lot!"

Former Contractor - Marketing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Marketing Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at CMG Partners as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart people who care
    - Great challenge
    - Lots of freedom as long as you get the job done
    - Cool office

Cons

- Very long hours
    - Working from home can be challenging and it is important to take initiative to constantly stay in contact with team.

Advice to Management

No complains

"Great people, lots of good work to do"

I have been working at CMG Partners full-time

Pros

I really enjoy this group of people - they are smart, curious, very hard working and fun. The firm manages to maintain a cohesive culture even though we all work in several offices around the country. These are really smart people, but we have fun too. The work is excellent with strategic work for big brands - impressive for a smaller firm - great for building your resume and getting great experience with big names and interesting projects -- and even entry level folks (and interns) work on big projects.

Cons

The management of the firm is a bit unusual. No HR, Partners tend to rule by personality and there are reviews every quarter (too often).

Advice to Management

Balance critical "grows" with more positive feedback.

Feb 2, 2016 – Head of Talent Management

Thank you for your note. Our passion for our clients' success and the team's development (plus our ability to play as hard as we work) sets us apart. You're right that we're a bit unconventional in... More

4. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Amazing people, very interesting work, rigorous and challenging environment but in a good way. The people also really make it a very personal experience and the company does a great job of bringing the team together for events like quarterly meetings and company-wide trainings.

Cons

Slightly older crowd so not as much after-work activities like happy hours

Feb 2, 2016 – Head of Talent Management

Appreciate your review. We work hard to bring our fantastic team together, and it's great to hear the experience reflects that. It's even better to realize our culture spills into after-work... More

5. "good training ground, not a long term option"

I worked at CMG Partners (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, performance based comp

Cons

Narrow client roster, limited strategy work, heavy on interim management roles

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees

Feb 2, 2016 – Head of Talent Management

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry your experience during 3 years didn't match our intention of being completely open to employees. We take your feedback to heart and are making... More

6. "From the first phone call, I knew I wanted to be a part of the team."

Current Contractor - Contract Consultant
    Current Contractor - Contract Consultant

I have been working at CMG Partners as a contractor

Pros

Every team member is created equal at CMGP. Whether you're full-time or a contractor, early in your career or a tenured marketer, or new to consulting or a seasoned consultant, everyone is welcoming, approachable and wants to help the firm and it's team whenever possible. There is a clear focus on their employees from top to bottom as well as their growth in mentoring and development. If you're hungry for more or new opportunities, the team will help in any way to get you there. Within my first week, I had an invite for 1:1 check-in sessions that were initially used to be sure my transition and project were off to a good start and have evolved into advice about growth within the role and my future.

Cons

Since the culture is so contagious and the team is full of good people and smart marketers with varying backgrounds, you want to get to know as many of them as possible. This can be hard being spread across large client organizations and living in multiple locations. CMGP makes a regular effort to get the client teams together to discuss projects to enable real-time collaboration and give you a sense on who's working on what and how to best use CMGP resources on your own projects. They also try to get the team together socially for happy hours, etc. to help keep a CMGP-specific culture outside of client work.

Feb 2, 2016 – Head of Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. It means the world to us that you value our culture, employee focus and diversity. We'll keep working at bringing our team together, both full time and contractor.

7. "Tremendous learning opportunity and terrific place for personal growth"

Former Employee - Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Durham, NC

I worked at CMG Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse group of clients across a variety of industries. Talented, intelligent people to collaborate with and learn from. Opportunity for personal and professional growth. CMG Partners as a firm is truly committed to its employees and makes every effort to provide growth opportunities to those who seek the challenge and perform at a high level.

At all levels of the organization you will be tasked with meaningful work that will directly impact the success of your clients, the firm and yourself. In my over 5 years working at CMG Partners, I received exposure to business issues and marketing challenges that I would not have received at other places. This exposure provided me with invaluable experiences and knowledge to build my career. When an opportunity arose for me to take a major step in my career and move into a senior leadership position out of consulting and back into industry, not only did I go with the Partner's blessing, but with support of the CMG family. That is the type of organization they are and more importantly the type of people that make up the organization.

Cons

The consulting life is not for everyone. While the partners do a good job of providing work/life balance, being in the thought business and meeting client's demands requires high levels of dedication and commitment to the firm and its clients.

Feb 2, 2016 – Head of Talent Management

Thanks for your feedback. We agree that people are the heart of CMG, and we continue to challenge ourselves in bringing meaning and balance to all our internal workings. So true that consulting is... More

8. "Helping clients, and employees, achieve growth."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at CMG Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at CMG Partners has allowed me to broaden and deepen my experience exponentially. Through collaborative projects with other high-caliber consultants, for both clients and the firm alike, I have grown into a passionate strategic marketing consultant. In the last two years, I have been exposed to so many new and exciting opportunities, and I have been given complete control over my career. Through project and firm work, I have been able to target my true passion and begin working on my professional development - regardless of where it takes me. Our team is wildly diverse, but incredibly close-knit. We are consummate marketing professionals who know how to play hard and have fun.

Cons

Culture is important in every business, and it is especially critical for a small business. Our small, but growing, team is currently spread out along the eastern seaboard, and we don't always have the pleasure of being able to work with each other.

Feb 2, 2016 – Head of Talent Management

Appreciate your feedback. It's wonderful to hear our team of curious thinkers and adaptive doers brings out the best in each other. We'll continue to find opportunities to bring everyone together... More