CMI/Compas Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2020

3.6
CMI/Compas CEO Stan Woodland (no image)
Stan Woodland
Pros
Cons
  • "Shockingly, generally poor employee morale and high turnover(in 4 reviews)

• "If you are a new hire in Media, you can expect almost a complete lack of support from Business and Data Analytics teams in particular(in 4 reviews)

"Best Place to Work"

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CMI/Compas is the best place to work because you feel like you are truly valued here. The leadership team is open and transparent. They all have open door policies and are very visible within our offices. The company does stay interviews to collect data on how we can improve our organization and our processes. By gathering data from exits, stays and new hires, CMI has identified what areas need improvement and have made the strides to do it. CMI increased our holidays off by 5 more days, implemented 2 work from home days (used to be 1), increased tuition reimbursements, and implemented a salary continuation program for those who go out on leave. CMI has shown that they are here to listen to what is important to the employees and deliver on making this the best place to work. The people who work here are amazing, collaborative, smart and innovative. This is not a cut throat agency, this is a family feel agency where you feel empowered to do your best work and have a team to support you.

Cons

No cons that I can think of at this time.

September 4, 2019

It’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your three years here! As you mentioned, the leadership team at CMI/Compas is dedicated to connecting with each and every employee. We will always listen to what’s important to our staff – our family – and continue to make improvements so that everyone feels supported and empowered, just as you have shared. If you’d like, please reach out to Julia Missaggia jmissaggia[at]cmicompas.com to discuss your time at CMI/Compas further.

2. COVID-19

"Sometimes great, wish all teams were equally good"

Current Employee - Media in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you've worked at other companies and especially other agencies, CMI/Compas can be a welcome change. CMI is generally a low conflict environment, and one where people are respected first and foremost. Many parents on staff and an understanding of parents' needs. You can make friendships and work with friends here. Likewise a part-time, flexible work schedule has been encouraged at CMI/Compas even before Coronavirus. Most clients are likewise decent people and treat CMI staff as partners. Mostly smart people across the Drive and Media groups. If you are good at your job, you will get promoted. Business has been good, across Healthcare in general and CMI/Compas too.

Cons

Compensation is one source of frustration for employees. In the past, employees were willing to accept lower-than market rate compensation in exchange for more flexibility around work from home; that advantage is in danger as flexible work has become standard everywhere with Coronavirus. Everyone from associates to managers recognizes that salaries and bonuses are below what other companies offer. Another issue is around the skills of some teams, While Media and Drive teams are usually knowledgable people, some teams are unfortunately awful. If you are a new hire in Media, you can expect almost a complete lack of support from Business and Data Analytics teams in particular. The so-called "CIA" teams don't know the basic types of reports that other agencies provide. Media teams often make their own reporting dashboards, have to explain to data teams how physician level data works, and so on. Investment in Media tools is lacking as well, instead of licensing Prisma as a big agency would, CMI/Compas prefers to use its own, incomplete "MAP" tool. Sometimes media plans have to be changed simply because MAP can or cannot support certain things. Lastly, training exists only on paper--with managers needing to provide their own training to new hires, so there is a lack of standards. Trainers exist, but their input is limited to creating long lists of available courses and recordings, many of which have questionable value. Trainers do not know how marketing works, only how to create courses, so again managers have to own this. Executive management, while all nice people, can range from being distant to micromanaging campaigns. There have been a lot of EVP hires recently, but perhaps because no one is managing them, this hasn't created a new direction or refined focus.

July 22, 2020

We appreciate you sharing your experience at CMI/Compas with us – and we would love to discuss your feedback further via a confidential stay interview with our People Team. Please also be encouraged to reach out to CMI President Susan Dorfman directly. With the amount of hard work that goes into our onboarding, compensation planning, and tools assessments, we are always looking to improve even further and welcome your input.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Media Planner

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people WFH policy Summer fridays Work life balance and family first mentality

Cons

Compensation on the lower part A lot of steps to get promoted that don’t necessarily relate to your job

June 11, 2020

We love to hear that you’re having an awesome time working at CMI/Compas! The pros you mention mean a lot to us as we take significant pride in them. Please be encouraged to reach out to Julia Missaggia on the People Team with any questions or concerns related to reviews and compensation – we’d be happy to discuss these with you further.

4. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Media Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits: WFH, Holidays, work/life balance, Etc.

Cons

Really the only thing would be, no insight into salary percentages, or bonus percentages

April 13, 2020

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you love about CMI/Compas – we’re happy you’ve been part of our family for over five years! We’ve actually addressed some of the questions you noted during our monthly Bell Ringer sessions and in our staff FAQ. For a copy of the FAQ and/or recording of the session, please reach out to Sarah Yung.

5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time

Pros

Techs are great and very knowledgeable

Cons

Management team needs to be better at follow through

March 31, 2020

We appreciate you reaching out and would love to discuss your feedback further. Please connect with Julia Missaggia on our People Team for a confidential conversation.

"Good as first job"

Former Employee - Planner in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CMI has a decent work life balance

Cons

CMI offers very good training to get started

March 31, 2020

Thanks for sharing what you loved about CMI/Compas – we’re really proud of our benefits and training, too!

"Company Growth and Client Mainstays Speak For Themselves"

Former Employee - Vice President, Media in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I recently left CMI, having worked there for a long time and starting out in an entry-level position. I felt compelled to write an honest review after seeing so many reviews on Glassdoor. While I agree with a few of the points being made in other reviews, there are many that I disagree with. This is my own opinion from the perspective of someone who’s been here for a while. Big company with values of a family business – For the most part, people throughout the company have a mutual respect and limited egos. Yes, there will always be some small-minded or spiteful people at any job, but you don’t often come across that at CMI. You’ll also find a lot of integrity with the senior leadership team at CMI. I’ve found that those in a senior/executive leadership role are honest and truthful. I don’t think you’ll ever find another company where senior leadership is as transparent and available as they are here. Career development – The path to furthering your career at CMI is laid out for you when you start. There are several tools and trainings at your disposal for skills development. If there are skills you want to learn that can be achieved through a conference or seminar, CMI will often make that happen for you. Those who complain about career growth probably aren’t putting in the energy to further themselves. If you want to be successful here, stop wasting your energy on what other people may think/do/say and focus on what you can control. Work/life balance – It’s always disappointing to hear/read that people routinely work late nights and into the weekend. Some people do that because they choose to, and others do it because they must. For the latter, that needs to be addressed with a direct manager, as that should not be the expectation. I’ve always enjoyed a relatively good work/life balance at CMI and if I’m ever working late it’s because I want to. There are times throughout the year when business picks up (usually planning for the upcoming year), but it should be expected during those times that it may get chaotic. My advice to those who feel like they must work late to keep up – be more transparent with your manager and find ways to better manage your time and workload.

Cons

Not necessarily cons, but opportunities for improvement... While salary is competitive, I think more can be done to prevent valued employees from leaving CMI to join another agency where they would be in a similar position, but with slightly higher pay As much as CMI spends investing in new services, products and solutions for their clients, it’s the people that really differentiate us from other agencies. There are a lot of good, intelligent people at CMI and that’s largely in part due to how much of an investment CMI has made in ensuring they grow great employees. It would be great to see CMI do more to encourage, or bring in, external training opportunities. Responsibility can feel too fragmented at times, with so many departments vying for client interaction and having specific roles. It would be nice to see more employees cross-trained (if they have the desire) to have a broader skill set and be more prepared to interact with clients on a wide range of topics instead of ushering in several different team members to discuss topics. Annual performance reviews – while they have their strengths, the annual review process leads to long gaps between performance reviews. Some employees may grow complacen over the course of the year – especially since changes in compensation are primarily only tied to those review periods.

August 29, 2019

Your response brought deep thought, appreciation, and respect for you and the ideas you share. I am sincerely thankful for the kindness of and honesty in your words, as well as the wisdom and actionability of your recommendations. Thank you for that. You and the message you shared are a perfect reflection of our core values and the kind people that make up our CMI/Compas family. We’re beyond grateful for your openness, as this will go a long way in helping us continue to improve for current staff and those joining us in the future. As I’m sure you know, we are proud to have a number of returning employees – so we encourage you to stay in touch and always consider us as you continue your career. Please reach out to me at sdorfman [at] cmicompas.com as I would love the opportunity to talk! Sincerely, Susan Dorfman, President – CMI

"Good managers and directors, poor senior leadership"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with schedule, work from home, growing company

Cons

Sr leadership is more concerned with compiling personal accolades than developing personnel. Analytics capabilities are often misleading to clients. Need to be willing to “fall in line” with sr leaderships interpretation of data to survive

September 30, 2019

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences while working at CMI/Compas. As you know from your three years at CMI/Compas, campaign performance data is shared directly via feeds with our clients for full transparency in activity and outcomes. Our teams collaborate in interpretations made and shared, as data tells its own story. The situation you describe may be an outlier and as such we would greatly appreciate learning more about your specific situation to ensure it does not continue. Please feel free to contact me at elee [at] cmicompas.com

"Great group of people to work with - no room for growth"

2.0
    Former Employee - Media Planner/Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CMI/Compas full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great exposure to print, digital and custom media for those that are new top advertising -People that handle the clients everyday needs are so nice - basically like family -Learned a TON about the brands we worked on - they really encourage you to become a subject matter expert, which is great for client engagement

Cons

-Media teams work a TON; was there probably 10-12 hours a day -They make it nearly impossible to be promoted even when there is a role that needs to be filled - saw them hire externally more as to promote within -Pay isnt great compared to what other companies were paying

September 4, 2019

Thank you for sharing with us the pros and cons you have experienced while working at CMI/Compas. While I’m thrilled to hear that you learned a ton, were able to become a subject matter expert and got good exposure to all media channels while here, I’m saddened to hear that you worked such long hours and didn’t feel there was a chance for promotion. I know both HR and I want to know when our people feel overworked or “stuck,” as does the rest of our executive leadership team. While we have provided individuals with tools and measures to proactively fuel their own growth, it is only from proactive conversations that we can help make things better for them and others around them. If you have attended our monthly Bell Ringers and town halls, you know how important it is for us to encourage conversations - particularly those around people’s growth and development goals. This is a critical aspect of who we are and something we invest in deeply. I have personally worked with HR in building our development processes, tools, measures and resources to enable professional growth and organizational mobility. As a result, we saw 77 internal people across all levels of the organization get promoted within the first 6 months of the year. My door is always open, and I do want to hear from you to better understand your personal story and what we could have done better! Please reach out via email at sdorfman[at]cmicompas.com. Sincerely, Susan Dorfman, President, CMI.

"Opportunity, Growth and Good People"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at CMI/Compas full-time

Pros

- The people who work at CMI/Compas are good people. They care about each other and truly make it a different experience than other agencies I have worked at - Opportunity - CMI rewards those who work hard and push innovation. I know for a fact that other agencies in this space don't do yearly reviews and the types of raises you get at CMI - Work life balance is truly available. Flexible WFH schedule, the ability to take long lunches, you truly can work a custom schedule to make it fit with your life - You are more than just a number. The CEO and leadership actually care about their employees. You are not a number on a spread sheet.

Cons

- Health insurance is not up to par with other agencies in the same geographic areas

August 22, 2019

We love knowing that you’re enjoying your career at CMI/Compas, and we’re glad to have you here! The positive feedback you shared is what we constantly strive for – to make each and every employee feel valued, comfortable, and confident as they grow in our agency. Please keep sharing feedback - consider reaching out to Julia Missaggia in Human Resources for a confidential conversation to discuss how we can continue to improve and provide the best for our staff.

Found 84 reviews