CN "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

CN CEO Jean-Jacques Ruest
Jean-Jacques Ruest

"Poor Management"

I worked at CN

Pros

Was a good location downtown, but have now moved

Cons

Poor Management style, work long hours including weekends. There is no work/life balance.

CN2013-04-21

"Livin' The Nightmare"

Former Employee If They Find Out Who Wrote This in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at CN

Pros

Money is pretty good, pension plan, like my co-workers I work with, most are pretty good people. Scenery is always beautiful.

Cons

Long hours. Probably looking at 70-80 hours a week gone from home. Hard on wives/families. Still, CN wants the "slave contract" where your never home except for your annual vacation once a year. This would replace the 70-80 hours a week with 120-180 week because Hunter says 80 hours a week is just not enough! That's from the "steam engine days" and we now need something to reflect today's needs and desires of the railway. They have this already in the US. How does it work? Well, about 10 years ago we a lot of surplus employees here at CN who went and worked in the US because of their acute shortage with finding enough people for their railroads. Considering you have a country with 200-300 million people and a lot of low paying jobs, you would think that there would be no shortage of people vying for $80,000 and up jobs. Wrong! No takers! Gotta import 'em from Canada. What was it like for the workers that went down there. They were treated great. But basically a taxi took you from your residence to work, you made you round trip, and then you went back to your residence where you'd better get to bed, because in 8 hours you were gone again on another trip, and on and on it went. Finding time to do laundry after a week, or get groceries got to be difficult. But this is the kind of conditions Hunter wants to force on us. Legalized slavery. Plus they really don't value us. In my 30 plus years, there has never been a company staff party at Christmas for the running trades EVER! Christmas party, what's that? Their annual showing of affection is offering a free hot dog in a parking lot by the diesel shops in a dust storm. Oh you shouldn't have. Need I go on? Can you spot the pattern? Oh and the growing earings. Every quarter. It gets slower and slower and the earning go up at CN-ron. Skies the limit.

Continue reading