What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Poor management: Front line managers at CN are hired off the street because internal employees are not dumb enough to take management jobs." (in 90 reviews)
- "No work/life balance for 10" (in 68 reviews)
- "Long hours and being on call at all hour can be difficult for most people with families at home." (in 56 reviews)
- "The 2021 round of layoffs" (in 19 reviews)
- "The actual managers are absent or micro managing." (in 16 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of CN and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 124 of over 1K reviews
Updated Sep 29, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "work life balance"Return to all Reviews
- 2.0Sep 6, 2016Freight ConductorCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsCalgary, AB
Money is good right off the bat ($80,000-$100,000 starting wage with no college/university education) Exciting work Outside most of the time (could be good or bad) Get lots of exercise Great workforce (employees are generally really good people) Get to travel
Work/Life balance (in the current structure this is nearly non existent) Incredibly poisonous work environment Fear driven work environment Total and complete disregard for employee safety (forced to go on trains when you've informed them you have been up for over 24 hours and are too tired to go, forced to take trains that are too heavy for your locomotives over unfamiliar territory etc.) Very aggressive management (who will threaten/scream/insult/use every profane word in the book to get what they want out of you. This is a daily occurrence) Inexperienced management Go to work exhausted often (if you don't you are threatened with discipline/termination) Spend days away from home (1-2 max) No schedule/On call work (could be like that for entirety of career) New employee retention rate (I believe it sits at about 10%)6
- 3.0Dec 7, 2021Locomotive EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
They will fill your bank account. Pay and benefits are top notch.. Fine place to learn and move on with better work/life balance.
Extra board scheduling...it will be a challenge to have a life...you will work nights, weekends, and holidays. Curent USA work agreements have potential for long work days and stays in unfavorable hotels. The better you are as a conductor, the harder they will work you. The worst people get earmarked for the easier assignments when the company can get away with it.