CNA Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CNA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dino Robusto
Dino Robusto
1 Rating

Pros
  • I experience a drive toward inclusion of all employees and a HR department that works to provide the best work life balance it can offer (in 52 reviews)

• good benefits, i like the team i work with (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could improve (in 22 reviews)

• Limited work from home options during office hours what hurts the life work balance (in 9 reviews)

"Claims Consultant"

Current Employee - Claims Consultant in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Claims Consultant in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with working from home. People are generally nice and there is a lot of independence. 401k is pretty good.

Cons

Unreasonable amount of work, especially since Chubb has invaded CNA. Too many files make it impossible to give the service that is expected.

"Cna"

Current Employee - CNA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CNA in New York, NY

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Start a better future and more experience to further my education and training for caring the activity of daily life and most importantly care for people who needs help. Looking forward to seeing you and be part of your company

Cons

Working in groups help each other for better working environment

Advice to Management

Start a better future

"Should have left much sooner"

Former Employee - Underwriting Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriting Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at CNA (More than a year)

Pros

IF you get the right manager, this can be a good place to work. I had a unique situation with my direct manager quitting after 4 months and (his/her) manager not really supporting the group while holding the "interim" position. The manager of our group caused more problems for our team than our competition or the softening of the market. People in other groups with better managers loved it. Just make sure you do your homework while interviewing to get a good understanding of who you will be working with at a peer level and above you.

Good 401k matching.

Cons

The office was old and worn out. The desk set up of honeycomb style pods was awkward.

The underwriting systems and processing systems are pretty bad. Even on an insurance standard, these were bad compared to other companies I have worked for. Trying to get certain things done, such as manuscript endorsements, is painstaking. The system for processing these endorsements are awful and the levels of approval for even the simplest of endorsements are painful. This was a big competitive disadvantage as brokers knew how slow we were to getting endorsements done.

Process improvements are discussed at length but no action is taken. For example, when I started management talked about training underwriting assistants to take the back office workload off of the underwriters. Over a year later the same discussions were happening every single meeting. I took it upon myself to start training the UA's before I left. Overall this talk talk talk and no action is very commonplace unless it comes from the head of the office.

Process reviews should happen more often, they could cut down on underwriters (higher salaries) by hiring more underwriting assistants (lower salaries) and having the UA's take more administrative work.

Advice to Management

Do a better job evaluating your subordinate managers, outside of just looking at their underwriting performance numbers of their team. Salesforce will not show how managers manage. (Most of the numbers in saleforce are fudged since underwriters and managers are judged more on this than they are being an effective manager) If your subordinate manager is having a meeting with his/her team, drop in unannounced or dial in anonymously so you can see how the manager is LEADING their team. If this happened more often I think some of the managers who show a difference face in front of their superiors compared to their subordinates would be weeded out.

"Great Company to work for - IF you're able-bodied"

Former Employee - Underwriting Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriting Technician in New York, NY

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries and good benefits.

Cons

If you have the bad luck to be diagnosed with cancer and end up taking HR's advice to go on FMLA or short term disability, don't be surprised when you're suddenly fired for some bogus reason.

6. "I moved on quickly"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Was able to clock out at 5 pm and never had to read an email in the evening.

Cons

Terrible management. Company lacked direction.

7. "Great company.."

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at CNA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for the company twice in my career. The work culture is pretty great, with a mixture of age groups. Its a great place to cement your career and potentially use it for further career advancement. Moving up the ladder is similar to other companies.

Cons

Old insurance mentality. Things can move slow, processes/systems are archaic and a lot of paper. That is also driven by an older workforce that is not willing to change. One can hit a glass ceiling sometimes, and one has to leave and come back to make a good jump up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Need to move to a newer platform to compete in the new world. New innovations will save money and make you more agile.

8. "Underwriting trainee"

Current Employee - Underwriter Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Underwriter Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate culture, people, supportive management, good benefits, flex schedule, great underwriting training program. Learn all lines before released in respective branches. Trusted with good size book of business

Cons

Tough to move around within the organization. Due to lack of promotional opportunities losing a lot of good talent no

Advice to Management

Promote from within, losing a lot of talent due to lack of promotional opportunities

"DANGER...AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!"

Former Employee - Ocean Marine Claims Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ocean Marine Claims Representative in New York, NY

I worked at CNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent training opportunities OUTSIDE of the company
    -My manager was in on the other side of the country, so very little micromanagement
    -Pay was decent

Cons

Where do I begin...
    -I received almost ZERO in-house training and procedures. I learned as I went along
    -Was dumped a caseload of around 100 open files to start with, many already in litigation
    -absurd procedures and policies on file handling, which are clearly driven by the financial industry regulation following 2008 AND the idea that marine insurance should be run like an auto insurance company - churn, churn, churn those claims in a timely matter - BUT expecting 100% accuracy all the time!!
    -The "File Review"... even the experienced handlers are terrified is afraid of this...which is performed by auditors outside of the marine claims world. Everyone seems to feel that their job is dependent on these yearly reviews.
    -A high turn over rate among claims handlers - no one lasts here, and even the claims veterans move on to seek safer shores with more functional companies that value their claims handling abilities
    -No chance to move up - the middle management has been there for decades, and they aren't going anywhere - no one else would hire them! Supervisors (called managers) are clearly a boot licking position, who have only survived the purges following the economic downturn based on their sycophantic behavior - the turnover among middle managers (the supervisors bosses) should speak for itself.

Advice to Management

I get it...no one likes their claims departments...we pay out the money that the sales teams bring in! At CNA, you really are made to feel like to feel like a bandit, and shamed for authorizing payments on policies that shouldn't have been underwritten in the first place!! Ease the case load on your best employees, and actually spend time training your new hires! Also, drop these absurd, across the board policies - take some time to understand how marine insurance works - i.e. ADJUSTING IS AN ART, NOT A SCIENCE. The turnover will continue as long as CNA continues to treat its claims staff the way it does now.

10. "Cool place to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CNA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I dont have an cons at this time

11. "Large Corporation"

Former Employee - Underwriter Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriter Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

Mixed direction and signals to front line employees

Cons

Could not decide who they really wanted to be in the marketplace

Advice to Management

Listen to your agents