CNA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 11, 2018

CNA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dino Robusto
Dino Robusto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I experience a drive toward inclusion of all employees and a HR department that works to provide the best work life balance it can offer (in 55 reviews)

• good benefits, i like the team i work with (in 36 reviews)

1. "Underwriting Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional environment
    Good location
    Casual Fridays
    Nice office

Cons

Bad/limited healthcare options
    Big company, great work goes unnoticed

Advice to Management

Be more engaging
    Reward where deserved

"A lot of turnover, a lot of change"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management is extremely accessible. Product leaders are there to help and take advice. Underwriters Can work closely with top leaders at the company

Cons

Frequent turnover and dishonesty about job roles. Mid level managers are not well trained and some manager roles seem redundant. Sales role disguised as a technical underwriting role. Pay is low for amount of work you end up taking over from others due to frequent turnover

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining talent and awarding underwriting expertise not just sales

3. "It's a job."

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Certain roles, departments and locations have considerable job security. 401(k) Employee match is 6% with additional annual bonus incentive based on company performance. Excellent work-life balance.

Cons

Salaries, raises, time off and corporate culture/employee job satisfaction are below national average.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like "Big Brother" -- it's 2018.

"Conflicting messages and actions"

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with many options for different careers (operations, claims, underwriting, risk control, finance, etc.); well established - founded over 100 years ago; solid benefits

Cons

Demand more/ faster without resources, tools or budget; struggle with communications (e.g., appropriate method, relying too much on trickle down which results in issues since managers do not share at the same time (in some cases, never)); town hall message two days prior to reduction in workforce was bragging about all areas being under budget and then they used the need to reduce expenses as the only reason our group was eliminated.

Advice to Management

Invest in groups that will support the #1 talent that is consistently discussed rather than eliminate said groups. Every opportunity of executive and senior leaders expressed that talent is their number 1 tenet, yet within 1 year has eliminated the two groups dedicated to developing talent.

5. "Analytics Consultant"

Former Employee - Analytics Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analytics Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart data scientists at the junior level and a generally collegiate environment.

Cons

Some problems with micromanagement and lack of vision by a couple managers.

Advice to Management

Try to keep find a good balance between a research environment and creating products in a timely manner.

6. "technology support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training and support were excellent.

Cons

Technology was several years out of date and not user friendly.

7. "Dissapointing"

I worked at CNA full-time

Pros

decent work/life balance and relatively relaxed atmosphere

Cons

management is not trained to manage and often promotes people despite their lack of leadership ability

8. "Lots of growth opportunities but benefits lack compared to competitors"

Current Employee - Accounting Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounting Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ongoing training/career development opportunities are by far the best I’ve ever seen or heard of. Please do not stop offering your curriculum classes.

With a large company and magnitude of departments, available promotions are much more frequent than other places.

While there’s a long ways to go, big credit for their continuous strive to compete with other company’s on work schedule flexibility, jeans on Fridays and team/department wide coworker relationship building.

Cons

Poor health coverage, maternity leave and lack of transparency between HR and overall benefit assistance.

Finding doctors in Chicago that accept united healthcare has been a constant uphill battle (even for a basic OBGYN). United also lacks support in helping you locate doctors within a 15 mile radius of the city and location of our home office. Throughout my pregnancy each standard prenatal test and/or visit has been a battle to prove our plan covers the charges so I’m not responsible. I’ve had multiple charges for standard care that United only put part of my responsible amount towards my deductible. So I’m paying for healthcare that’s not even getting applied to my max out of pick or deductible. This just adds on to our high deductible that has to be met before even prescriptions are covered.

Then, almost every script has not been paid for by United, without my OBGYN calling in to find alternatives or confirming the medical necessity, or having me try United’s four or five alternative options first.

Getting reimbursed for prescriptions took getting HR involved and the state and five months later. When looking for in network pediatricians within the city (in preparation of adding a child to my coverage), I can’t find one within 15 miles that has a patient rating higher than a 6 out of 10.

The health advocate is a joke. I tried using them twice and they don’t respond for a month at a time. Both times I tried to use them, I ended up getting the state of Illinois involved who had to talk to HR. They were able to get resolution before the health advocate even responded to an email from a month back. Overall, CNAs health benefits costs, high deductibles and constant battle to get/find medical care when needed is alone a reason not to join the company unless you never get sick or have a child.

Advice to Management

When employees have issues with your medical coverage through United or using your provided health advocate, give them resources to get help. It’s like a constant game of cat and mouse trying to find out if anyone at the company can step in when we run into problems.

9. "Process service specialist"

Current Employee - Process Service Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Process Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They Balance work and family

Cons

Promotion is limted at CNA

Advice to Management

Recognize your emplyees

10. "ARBA Program"

Current Intern - ARBA in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - ARBA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, better people, best culture

Cons

Long Hours, small office, tend to be older

Advice to Management

Recruit more out of Chicago school