CNH Industrial N.V. Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CNH Industrial N.V. President and CEO Richard Tobin
Richard Tobin

Pros
Cons
  • No cost of living increases but company has started to align salaries with industry standards to retain good employees (in 18 reviews)

• No raises - you need to be promoted to a new position at the next level (in 32 reviews)

"Toxic Atmosphere and Poor Work / Life Balance"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Burr Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Burr Ridge, IL

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of my peers were good people to work with and made it easier to come into work every morning. There are a lot of good opportunities for a young engineer to learn and get exposure to a lot of different areas, but you must be a self starter because good direction from leadership is hard to come by. With such a high turnover rate, a young, recent college grad can get promoted relatively quickly. It's a good way to build a resume and then carry that experience to another company that actually values and respects it's employees. 401k match is the best I've ever seen. Stick around for three years and then run when your 401k is fully vested. 7 business days off for holiday shutdown is nice, and much needed because it's a pretty stressful environment. The Burr Ridge facility is a nice place. Clean and well maintained offices, AC throughout the whole facility, and a nice cafeteria with good food and free coffee helped make things bearable.

Cons

Poor leadership. Too many managers and not enough workers. Very understaffed in many departments which leads to stressful work loads and long hours in the office. Many many nights my laptop came home with me and was working late into the night, only to go to sleep for 3.5 to 4 hours so I could start the madness all over again. A lot of employees have either quit or been let go. That work gets dumped on the remaining employees, who eventually get burned out and quit too or get let go. It's a cycle that seems to be ignored. HR seems to be a revolving door also, which is never a good sign. The PLM system is a joke. It promotes competition between teammates and a handful of managers are rather unprofessional when it comes time for performance evaluations. Managers putting their employees against each other makes for a toxic atmosphere. Only so many people can score in a green box and someone on the team will have to score in the orange or red, even if everyone on the team is performing well. There are also way too many meetings that result in no actions or decisions. It was common to have pre-meetings to discuss upcoming meetings because managers didn't put enough trust in their employees to compose themselves in meetings and present the right materials. Too much micromanaging and leading by fear or intimidation. Oh yeah, if you like the idea of getting a pay raise every now and then, CNH isn't the right place for you. The only way to get a pay raise is if you move up to a higher position and you can negotiate a new salary.

Advice to Management

Restructure the leadership organization. Invest in quality and stop pinching pennies. Break the communication barriers between CNH, CaseIH, NH, CaseCE, FPT etc. Many people are close minded and too quick to play the blame game rather than working together and resolving issues. I heard way too much of "that's CNH responsibility" and "FPT needs to fix this". The company has a lot of very talented employees that I'm proud to have had the opportunity to work alongside. Get a handle on the revolving door situation and try to keep good people. Harness this positive energy from the young talent who are coming in with little to no bad habits. These are the ones that will drive change and help knock down the walls that are still in place from the company mergers. Rather than leading by fear tactics and intimidation, allow employees to make some mistakes and then coach them to improve.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary, great coworkers (almost like you are in battle together), ability to do way more things than in your job description, decent benefits

Cons

NO RAISES, too lean, horrible weighted bell curve rating system, unrealistic goals, not allowed to be above a 5 when new to job, limited movement possibilities, promises that are not kept, spent over 15 years watching it all go down hill until I decided to leave

Advice to Management

Show some employee appreciation, stop the cuts you are dealing with people's lives, stop being as concerned about chasing the top players when you are not one of them, go back to core values instead of cost cutting

"Not a word I heard could I relate"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Racine, WI

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're the type who likes to go to work and put in about 10% effort and then go home, this is the place. Literally no one cares. Surfing the Web all day got boring for me after a while though.

Cons

Just read all the comments on here and you'll find the common theme. No raises. Bogus bonus system. Toxic work environment. It's all true.

Advice to Management

It's interesting all the one line comments in here with 3+ stars. Me thinks HR has been busy trying to boost the abysmal rating of this sht show.

"Toxic - run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Launch Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Launch Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k match is good but if you couple that with the no raises you will find the math says you can do better in the long run with a company that pays raises and a lower match.
    So I find it interesting the number anonymous entries with one liner comments that are giving CNH 3+ stars. Most last year the rating was a 2.7 then at the end of the year a magically increase to 3.0.

Have to wonder if these aren’t sham entries from HR trying to boost the number. Too bad you have to at least give it a 1 star. 0 stars should be an option.

Cons

So if you read a few of the more detailed entries you will see the similar themes. There are no raises. People go years upon years without raises. I have since left after 4.5 years with no raise. There were others from here that went 8 years with no raise when they left. When interviewing HR will tell you a nice story about how you can get raises but that will never come true.

Oh, and the benefits they keep going up in cost so couple that with your no raise then you are getting an annual pay cut. Let’s not talk about the cost of living that seems to always increase year over year.

The bonuses are a joke. You will be told what your payout ranges is and will never see anywhere near that. Best I saw was 40% of the payout. HR also told a nice story about the bonuses which never came true.

The environment here is toxic. The turnover rate is huge. For those in charge integrity, morals and honesty is not part of the philosophy or culture. Don’t come here if you want to do the right thing for the customer as that’s not the goal. Here its make things look like they are going well when they really aren’t. Fake news and alternative facts are the norm.

The employee review is a forced ranking system, which most companies have long since gone away from for good reason. So don’t expect your review to actually match with your performance. You will be forced into a box and then a review will be fabricated to match the box you were put in. The only result of this is disgruntled employees that weren’t properly reviewed. If you are that rare person that gets a green box congrats. If you got the red box, sorry but someone had to get them. If you are lucky someone from your department will leave or retire at the end of the year so they can give the red boxes to them. Part of the game.

Advice to Management

There is a huge lacking of leadership.Too many people have been in company a long time and don' t have a clue what the real world is like. You need a bunch of new talent at the top.

"CNH Burning Through Dealer Reps (Customer Service Reps)"

Former Contractor - Dealer Representative in Racine, WI
    Former Contractor - Dealer Representative in Racine, WI

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing that comes to mind

Cons

Quick to pass judgement without appropriate training resources.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize that your cannot training any reps in less than 5 days, even if you have your systems all figured out. Bringing in reps, keeping them 5 days, after they've left other jobs for your firm and letting them go, without any notice, is a horrible business model. If CNH Industrial is on your list to apply to - PASS IT UP!!!!

"Worst job in my 20 years as an engineer, at 5 major companies. So bad it defies comparison to past 4 companies."

Former Employee - Engineer in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Racine, WI

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average 401K matching program.

Cons

Egocentric top management, established culture of distrust, employee compliance leveraged with fear, continuously well-cultivated animosity between corporate and UAW workers creates culture of wage slaves who have little or no incentive to feel true loyalty or pride toward their work.
    No pay increases. There are trivial bonuses possible, and they are pitched to the employees through an empty robotic smile, hoping to convince employees that this is a good deal. But the math is simple:
    When the economy inflates and your salary does not keep up, this amounts to a pay cut. An annually compounding pay cut.
    People quit or get discharged, and their vacated responsibilities are spread out to those people who remain. A few vacancies are refilled, but not enough.
    The job itself is extremely cumbersome due to how they execute their "world class manufacturing" system. It is absolutely a job within a job.
    Lots of ambitious talk and rallying speech from management, but it's hollow at best, hypocritical at worst.
    People shuffled into management positions who have no business managing those whom they given charge over.

Advice to Management

Corporate restructuring.

"No integrity, toxic mis-management"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Wichita, KS

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good 401k if you last at least 3 years, other departments had a better time of it.

Cons

No integrity, toxic mis-management:

Extremely low integrity: Very high level manager acknowledged that high level managers below him were lying about important matters. This did not bother him. I had concerns about workload and management when I hired on and asked a high level manager about them. He lied to me then or I would not have hired on.

Toxic work environment: Management solely through negative reinforcement, seemingly without reason other than to dump stress. I was chewed on for half an hour for something that occurred months before I joined and was in a radically different area. Setting feet against new projects, feigning incompetence in the hopes of not getting involved, and stating “thats not my job,” has been beat into what should be a team. People actually hid so as to not be the first person that management saw.

Churning, constantly told to reverse course: Was chewed out for not going to a meeting that I was invited to while attending the meeting that conflicted (I was told to never bring a laptop into a meeting by the same manager, so there was no way to receive the new invite). The day before, I was told that the conflicting meeting that I attended was my highest priority (neither meeting was a pillar or safety meeting, which according to policy were highest).

One way communication: My last day, a manager was still making false statements to upper management about the function of a computer process that I had tried twice to straighten him out on. Once written, a computer program will only work a certain way, no matter how firmly you lie about it. Tool design was frequently forced on the floor without consideration for whether or not it was needed or even desirable, much less how it would be integrated into the overall processes and workload of the line. I was told to show the cost benefit of tools that were completely idle. Attempting to call attention to communication problems will lead shortly to a meeting with your management, being told how poor you are at your job and that the problem lies with you.

Plain ol’ mismanagement: We were in a budget crunch. I gave management my time requirements to complete a large mission critical task that I had prior expertise in. The standard contractor had made it clear that they did not want the work, as it was outside their scope. Even assuming that my time estimate was low by 50%, that I only worked 8 hr days (typically 11+ hour days not adding in beaks), and that corporate overburden adds an additional 200% to the cost of my pay, the contractors quote was about 4 times my quote (which was not cheap to begin with). I was chewed out for not insisting that the contractor do the work.

Very high turnover rate in my position. I was told that I would be the 5th in 4 years.

"advice for potential employees"

Current Employee - Engineer in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it is a great place to learn new things and update your resume
    paid time off between Christmas and New Year
    nice cafeteria with free coffee and tea
    good work/life balance in some departments

Cons

no merit raise in the past 9 years
    the "bonus" given at the end of March is more like a subsidy for low salary... it cannot even cover inflation over the years
    the company purposely makes it very, very hard for employees to be promoted
    upper management forces managers to give a low score to some employees to complete the bell curve
    the company uses the pay at Deere in Iowa and Caterpillar in Peoria for a market rate study. If you have been with the company for more than a few years, your pay is probably well below average since you didn't get a merit raise for years. The pay at CNHI is well below the market rate. Also, don't forget Chicago has a higher cost of living.

Advice to Management

I have never seen a company as short-term focused as CNHI. It is a good place for younger folks to gain experience and then leave for a better employer. It is good place for older folks to retire from. It is a terrible place for mid-career folks. Which type of employees is the company trying to retain?

"Terrible company!!!"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Burr Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Burr Ridge, IL

I worked at CNH Industrial N.V. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k is decent, flexible hours depending on your manager, global presence, And may be cafeteria although it's overly priced..... Nothing else.. Very nice colleaugues

Cons

No raises in years.. Zero focus on products! Everyone cares about individual performance thanks to senior leadership and performance evaluation process is a joke. No career plan for employees. Promotion only if you know right people, not because how much you deserve. no transparency at all.

Advice to Management

Train and develop people they are your asset. Company cannot succeed if employees are not motivated. Care for your employees and avoid dirty politics. And pls consider remodeling 2nd floor.

"Reactive"

Current Employee - Assembler in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Assembler in Racine, WI

Pros

There are no pros at this time except for my fellow line workers that watch each others backs, due to crooked supervisors blaming us for their mistakes.

Cons

No true leadership from management. Constantly being reactive, instead of proactive. Supervisors are rejects from other companies and have very little to no product knowledge although they act like they're engineers and know everything. A really terrible place to work due to the plant management team being absolute idiots.

Advice to Management

Fire all management and start over, or better yet let WCM work the way it's supposed to and let the experts on the floor run the business. We can't do any worse than what you got now. If you want a dead end job, with constant abuse and unrealistic goals set be imbeciles this is the place you ought to be at.