CNL Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CNL Software CEO Keith Bloodworth
Keith Bloodworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A great chance to grow for some, too challenging for the others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quite a small company setting itself ambitious goals.
    I've been working as a developer for years, however there was a lot to learn in this place.
    But it very much depends on your attitude - if you're proactive, independent, there is always an open ear for new ideas and the seniors are there to help you out if they are not too busy.
    As far as I know, R&D process was not managed very well few years ago, but luckily since I joined I saw a recovery taking place, however not as fast as I'd want it to.
    If you like Server side, coding architecture, and to be professionally challenged - this place if for you.
    If you you like an easy going 9-5 job, this is not for you.

Cons

Despite the recovery mentioned earlier, the management side is still weak - not well-defined processes, ineffective planning, lack of requirements, lack of documentation.
    However, I've seen most of those in every company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Need better planning, especially between the teams.

CNL Software Response

Jul 12, 2017 – VP Marketing

It is really good to hear from you. It takes the right attitude to succeed in any company, and we are lucky to have some great examples of people with the “right stuff” here at CNL Software. We are... More

"A true horror story."

I have been working at CNL Software full-time

Pros

The pay is excellent, very high rates for outside of London, the work matters it protects people in an ever more dangerous world.

Cons

The company don't take that protection seriously, rushed hacks and cut corners, projects cut short to close new business, new business becomes old business just as fast unless the customer is the golden child of senior management.

The company treats staff the same way, there are the 'chosen few' who regardless of competence, can do no wrong, even in the face of overwhelming facts. Tyrannical executive management, lead to a culture of fear, where these chosen staff, can and will tell executives whatever they please, and better the management will believe it as gospel.

The management response to any negativity, will be to systematically bully and exclude people, setting impossible targets, deliberately setting people up to fail then browbeating them for it. Whereas the chosen, especially of the CEO, will be hailed as a success, even as projects fall down around them.

I've kept an eye here frequently, as reviews were negative when I joined, and there was what appeared to be a turnaround, but it appears history repeats itself, I can't wait to get out. Now the management have deployed the faithful to post here, once again trying to as one previous review puts it 'Manipulate the reviews here', and I can't stay silent.

Not for everyone? Not the normal 9-5? Definitely not. Get ready to work extra hours, weekends, and travel at no notice, for no reward (other than that salary, for which your contract specifies you'll work..... 9 - 5 (lets not even get to the comical pension scheme which is treated more as a hindrance to the business, than an actual benefit) oh, and the 'mythical stock options' mentioned in other reviews still pervade.

Oh, and the company is almost certainly circling the drain, late payments, un-paid expenses, we seem to be living invoice to invoice.

Advice to Management

You spend forever talking about the value of the work, and you just don't get it. You sell the sizzle, then swap the steak for mutton. You only care about how important the work is when you're selling it, or beating someone up for not delivering the cheques your egos wrote. It must be fun playing global executive. If only people could spend a day in the office and see how little substance there is at CNL.

Still, don't forget to turn the lights out eh?

"Fast paced company"

Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it.

I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else.

The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

Cons

The office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

Advice to Management

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.