CNL Software Reviews | Glassdoor

CNL Software CEO Keith Bloodworth
Keith Bloodworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Guildford, England (UK)

Pros

Great technology, nice team, exciting proudct

Cons

None, the business has come along way in the past 12 months and become an amazing place to work

CNL Software Response

Jul 12, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you! It is great to hear that the changes we have put in over the last couple of years are having a positive impact on the team here in the UK, as well as the teams in the US and Middle East.

"A good company to work for that gave me opportunity to apply and grow my skills."

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Exciting products and customers. Opportunity to do work that really matters. A great team of likeminded people from different backgrounds. Relatively high salaries for the industry and location. I enjoyed my time but had to leave due to a change of personal circumstances. Would apply again if the opportunity arose.

Cons

Not for everyone, but where is? Work was often intense and demanding. Some people have quit because they couldn’t take the pressure. Fewer perks than in a large company but not too different from other SMEs I’ve worked for.

Advice to Management

Don’t delay correcting recruitment errors. Not everyone will turn out to be right and those that are not capable enough or don’t have the right attitude are better out than in. Complainers should take a good look at themselves!

"Interesting and motivating, professionally rewarding"

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

What’s happening to the internet? Twitter, Facebook, forums, blogs and review sites are all filling up with people spouting their negative comments as if they were facts and mostly under a veil of anonymity.

I worked at CNL and know several who still do. There are lots of reasons for changing jobs and they’re not all bad. A young workforce is often a mobile one and priorities change over time. Buying a house, starting a family, having to move closer to grandparents or whatever.

I really liked working at CNL but things changed in my life and I quickly needed a higher paid job, which I managed to get thanks in parts to what I had learned there. No bad feelings from either side. My current job isn’t as fun and the commute a pain but I have to save for a deposit. Working closely with their security software I know its power first hand and many large customers in different countries clearly feel the same.

Cons

Work was often demanding but the complex customer problems I helped solve was also what motivated me. My new job doesn’t do that but I knew as much. What suits one person is not always right for another. Sites like these are by design not the most objective of places so make sure you do your own research.

Advice to Management

Only hire people with a can do attitude. Most other things can be taught.

"Fast paced company"

Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it.

I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else.

The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

Cons

The office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

Advice to Management

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.

"A great chance to grow for some, too challenging for the others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quite a small company setting itself ambitious goals.
    I've been working as a developer for years, however there was a lot to learn in this place.
    But it very much depends on your attitude - if you're proactive, independent, there is always an open ear for new ideas and the seniors are there to help you out if they are not too busy.
    As far as I know, R&D process was not managed very well few years ago, but luckily since I joined I saw a recovery taking place, however not as fast as I'd want it to.
    If you like Server side, coding architecture, and to be professionally challenged - this place if for you.
    If you you like an easy going 9-5 job, this is not for you.

Cons

Despite the recovery mentioned earlier, the management side is still weak - not well-defined processes, ineffective planning, lack of requirements, lack of documentation.
    However, I've seen most of those in every company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Need better planning, especially between the teams.

CNL Software Response

Jul 12, 2017 – VP Marketing

It is really good to hear from you. It takes the right attitude to succeed in any company, and we are lucky to have some great examples of people with the “right stuff” here at CNL Software. We are... More

"Challenging product, bad management"

Former Employee - Software Solutions Engineer in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Solutions Engineer in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In general software developers had good dev skill and product knowledge. Development process very close to Agile.

Cons

Lots of political games .. as usual, but a bit tOO MUCH comparing with the companies I used to work for. Company locate far away from any train station. No benefits.

Advice to Management

More strong core development team need to be created. Development process need to be changed. Team size is too small for the product and development work. Managers should support developer more and understand product in more details.

"Just awful."

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Pay rate is above average, and if you're local the commute is ok. The business is in a very limited market, so its job security is assured if you can 'Hack it' to quote our CEO.

Cons

Stress is off the charts as unreasonable demands flow through this business. I don't entirely know how we stay in business, as the stack of unfinished work increases, and resources are stretched thinner and thinner.

The offices are awful, and benefits are non existent.

No one at the company knows how the whole product works entirely, and in engineering our key knowledge holders have all moved on, so we're often stuck trying to find a needle in a haystack when a problem arises.

Advice to Management

Give people the space to do what you ask, stop asking for every hour to be 200% effective. We cant bend time and space, and apparently neither can you.

"Could be a great company if it delivered on it's promises."

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

The technology and the product space are both very exciting.
    The pay is very high for the area.
    No commute to London required.
    Company is top 3 leader in its market.

Cons

High, above average pay means executive management expect above average contribution, this is largely measured in hours.
    Benefits are non-existent outside of those mandated by law (the recent pension rules), share options have been offered to employees as incentives, but the scheme is informal and not open to all employees.
    The rules and policies change week by week as executive management change their minds, which can be extremely stressful and demoralizing for staff.
    The company is a revolving door of senior management and technical talent, ever changing management and team members make it very hard to deliver anything of worth, it's especially demoralizing when people simply leave work one evening, and never come back the next, which is very often the case here.

Advice to Management

Trust the leaders/managers you put in place. Leave the staff at the coal-face to tackle the tasks they need to tackle, executive pressure constantly applied, simply loses great people, and damages the company. When people challenge your own ideas or perceptions, be open to them, and listen to the ideas of the people you hired.

Everyone signs up to the dream that this company could revolutionize it's industry, but then finds that the stress of helping it do so, is not worth a large paycheck.

"Happy to have moved on."

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Outside of London, the products potential.

Cons

No benefits unless government mandated and shares are given to a select few rather than a company wide incentive which leads to low morale and a favouritism culture.

No investment in training for individuals, no real staff appraisal process or development plans in place to help you grow. The word appreciate is used often but rarely rewarded in any way.

The company feels like a revolving door at times as people come and go quickly, often changing the processes and direction in the meantime. This causes immense pressure to deliver which results in lots of additional hours being expected of you and the feeling that miracles need to be performed.

Advice to Management

To have a clear plan for the direction of the product and create a company wide collaboration to achieve this. Rather than focus on the trivial and mundane invest in the staff and allow the time for great work to be produced. Encourage feedback from everyone and act upon it rather than a top down approach which leads to negativity and the feelings of the teams being unheard.

"Broken Promises, Broken Dreams"

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

- No London commute
    - Salary is high for the Knaphill area
    - Product has the 'cool' factor
    - Exposure to a wide range of technologies

Cons

- Lack of good core values and culture
    - Large, mostly untested code base, makes work a daily grind
    - 'Hack it out quick' mentality discourages professionalism throughout the company
    - Top down management has created an atmosphere which is a chimera of 'The Office' and 'Dilbert'
    - High staff turnover and continous brain-drain has left a demoralised work force
    - An already top heavy leadership has increased in density after nearly everyone was given promotions
    - Gallows humour is sometimes the only thing keeping teams together

Advice to Management

- Trust, and listen to your staff more, and let them get on with the job without constant micro-management
    - Hire those with a history of technical excellence, rather than 'Bumblebees' who don't have experience
    - Recognise those who have made valuable contributions sooner, rather than later: when it is too late