CODA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Timothy T. Hartnett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work with dedicated people"

I worked at CODA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse, dedicated working environment. Several experienced counselors.

Cons

Need more mental health professionals. Structure of program was variable and made for difficulties in problem solving/ decision making.

"Over work and under paid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at CODA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only reason why I am still at CODA is because of the patients. I feel like I make a difference in their lives. I also believe in CODAs evidence based research.

Cons

Number one con at CODA is there is no potential for job growth with entry level people. They want you to stay down there, so no one else has to do the dirty work. Hiring other people is time consuming, so they just want to keep you low. Being upper management and admin and finance is different worlds, they do not experience what it is like to be with the population day in and day out. They expect you to work yourself to tears while being extremely under paid. Also, don't expect to get properly trained. They once told me they were going to promote me, but that was forgotten about. They look at you as replaceable and not valued. The managers have some power trips going on. The new director has no clue how hard the entry level workers work, and shows no appreciation or respect to employees. They want to lower level employees to have the least amount of say or power or voice in CODA. They also do not hear your concerns about your job experience, or your own mental well being. They do not want to work to resolve issues, they believe you shouldn't have issues to begin with.

Advice to Management

Hire mindful people who are caring and want to improve the quality of the workers. Make wage manageable for people to even afford rent. Allow every worker to have a voice. Give people that are qualified the opportunity to grow.

"Acceptable - I have been looking elsewhere."

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Specialist
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Specialist

I have been working at CODA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of all I enjoy my co-workers. The work is sincere and the culture still somewhat relaxed. I feel trusted both personally and professionally. The diverse population and variable locations /services offer a huge range of experience.

Cons

Pay is low but workable. The workers feel temporary. Turnover in clinicians and management make it difficult to create stability for the clients. It's hard to implement new policy and procedure when constantly training new folks.

Advice to Management

I'm hopeful that attrition can be the next focus now that production has been addressed.

"counselor"

Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at CODA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other counselors and our positive interactions with each other.

Cons

Administration is not doing enough for staff and does not provide bonuses for staff only Tim gets raises.

Advice to Management

Pay better,better benefits,less clients,better union support.stop the threatening.better supervision,less power struggles with administration.Christmas bonus

5. "Administration"

Current Employee - Administration in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administration in Portland, OR

I have been working at CODA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers at CODA are very smart and dedicated. Mid-level management is excellent. For most part, Directors are too--I've had my moments with one or two people -- but generally find that I am listened to and that in the end, the real goal for just about everyone here is to serve clients in meaningful, professional way. CODA, as far as I know, is only (or one of very few) places that has childcare for patients...and one of the big things is reuniting moms and kids, or getting pregnant women with addiction issues the kind of help they need. That is major, in my book.

Cons

There is so much need out there. CODA could add night services and help more people who are not getting services anywhere in our area.

Advice to Management

Expand. Add hours and staff -- maybe somewhere closer to Aloha area where I think there is major need unmet. (I used to work over there for a school -- big drug issues in families.

6. "Great people doing hard work"

I have been working at CODA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People work here because they want to help people. Program Managers are supportive and have experience working in the types of programs they manage. Benefits are excellent (I get 7 weeks of PTO and pay less than $20 a month for full medical!)

Cons

Wages are similar to other non-profits, but lower than for-profit healthcare. Budgets are tight in general. There are a lots of regulations and compliance requirements that sometimes make it difficult to do what we know needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Keep the benefits strong and continue finding ways to increase communication and cooperation between the programs. Keep hiring/promoting from within - it really works.

"In it for the $$"

Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at CODA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new clinician I was able to learn a great deal about the greater health care system and about the kind of work I wanted to and who I wanted to do it for.

Cons

Over worked, lack of consistency from leadership, large groups, low wages, clearly not client centered, asked to do some unethical things, difficult EHR

"Weird and Dsyfunctional"

I worked at CODA full-time

Pros

Like my department and co-workers

Cons

financial issues makes this a precarious employment experience. CEO hired his wife (who is not qualified for her position). Just bad place to work.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

"A great place to learn"

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at CODA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CODA is a terrific place to grow. For a new clinician the turnover and lack of clear direction gives one an opportunity to do things that wouldn't be possible (or allowed) at other agencies. I gained more experience in two years than I would have received in five years anywhere else. The clients are wonderful.

Cons

...but all that learning comes at a pretty high price - in stress, overwork, and in chaos. Lack of clear leadership, and directives constantly changing with changes in personnel is crazy making. The pay is the worst in this market.

Advice to Management

Go out into your sites and find out what you employees actually do every day. The fact that you were a clinician twenty years ago doesn't mean you truly understand what your people need.

"Great training and education support for an early professional. Wish I could have taken my supervisor with me"

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor I in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor I in Portland, OR

I worked at CODA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They believe in the science behind the work and really stand behind it. I learned way more about my profession in the 3 years working there than I did in 4 years of college, mostly through CODA Academy and my supervisor - I moved, but have stayed in touch.

Cons

As a not-for-profit, it's not always possible to provide free services. The work is really difficult, the patients don't always get better. Burn-out and turn over are high.

Advice to Management

Your benefit package is good, but people don't use it properly. Teach them how to care for themselves and to be proud of the people getting well. It's too easy to focus on the ones that don't.