CONMED Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 17, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Curt Hartman

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, very rarely expected to work late or on weekends (in 4 reviews)

• Great people and great products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't relate to sales force (in 8 reviews)

• Takes very long for company to come out with new products internally (in 6 reviews)

1. "Engineering Intern"

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time

Pros

Co-workers were respectful and easy to get along with
    Engineering manager was very laid back and knowledgeable

Cons

Got laid off unexpectedly one morning along with 25+ other people
    Factory manager does not understand synergy but is exceptional at micromanaging those below him, which in turn leads to everyone fearing him

Advice to Management

It starts from the top down, corporate management needs to be reworked or this company will stay on the decline

"CNC Setup G7, Production support Mechanical Technicion"

Former Employee - CNC Setup G7, Production Support Mechanical Technician in Largo, FL

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation acruments. Benifits are ok. Clean shop (after my lead). Very close to home. Dayshift has good working hours.

Cons

This place was listed as a "Hostile workplace" when I applied and as far as I can tell should still be rated as a hostile workplace. I was never given the job I was hired on to do. I was there many years and applied for many other opportunities. Never chosen. I was not a part of thier "Club" literally. Tried to join was told there were no openings yet saw many others join thier little Sunshine Club as it is officially known... Really, Check it out.

Advice to Management

Utilize the talents employees bring. Stop your "Good old boys". Closed mindedness. You only hur yourselves. I have finally moved on to greener pastures. Have fun in Mexico!!!

"STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Utica, NY

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They paid well however you had to fight to get the pay. Negotiate at the start or you will get nowhere.

Cons

The initial offer was over 10K less than what I was willing to start at. After a long and laborious negotiation process, I got what I wanted. Management has no clue what they are doing. Managers pay absolutely no attention to what their employees are doing. Performance reviews made this remarkably transparent. Nepotism runs rampant from the top to the bottom. Raises are substandard and promotions are next to impossible.

Advice to Management

Retire, let new blood in. Stop caring about an employees bloodline when considering promotions.

"Needs Improvement"

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time

Pros

ConMed will pay you a paycheck for as long as you work there.

Cons

Transitional changes have caused shortages of support. New managers have a disregard for current talent. The company is "churning and burning" great resources.

Advice to Management

Customers are the #1 priority at ConMed. Your employees are also customers. Treating your employees like customers would suit you well.

"Great if you like to spend most of the day on the internet"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Utica, NY

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No one really cares if you show up late or sleep at your desk.
    They hire people with no experience, so it is a good way to get entry level experience.

Cons

- Salary was very below market.
    - Management style was more outdated then the "technology" they use.
    - No transparency, never had any idea what was priority, what managements plan was
    - You can only move up / get promoted if there is a "company need."
    - No accountability. Decisions made by management behind closed doors without rationale, lower engineers supposed to agree and sign off these decisions with little or no confirmation.
    - Women are not represented well in engineering nor respected by management. Ex. Management stated "women are like Pavlov's dogs - easily trainable"

Advice to Management

Develop your talent. Don't promote based on last name. Treat women fairly.

"Closing wasn't a surprise"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people were nice, there was a feeling that non-management was "in it" together

Cons

- Pay was well below market
    - Extremely outdated management styles and systems
    - Us vs. them mentality with managers/salaried and hourly employees
    - Salaried employees took advantage of not having to clock hours
    - No trust; everyone was afraid for their jobs and management would not be truthful about the state of the branch
    - No room to move up
    - They would hire "temporary" employees to get around paying for benefits and requesting the open positions, and it created more of a hierarchy

Advice to Management

Be more honest with employees and treat them as equals. Implement better workplace practices and create a more enjoyable work environment. Stop hiring perma-temps to avoid paying for benefits and just push for the requisition.

"Unsatisfying and thankless work environment"

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time

Pros

The pay was decent, however there is little opportunity for promotion. There are a handful of wonderful people within the company.

Cons

Discombobulated management, unprofessional attitude, high pressure, absolute lack of encouragement or support towards employees. Decisions based on personal preferences rather than the actual business needs of the company.

Advice to Management

Restructure upper management so that the department leaders are those who make educated decisions based on the success of the company.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Assistant in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant in Largo, FL

I have been working at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good commute time from where I live

Cons

This company makes you sign a health waiver in order to be hired. Essentially saying you will not sue the company if you end up having a brain tumor, or something similar. Scary. There is very little support from the top (Utica), and most of the VPs and Directors seem to be power hungry and therefore work within a hierarchal framework. If you're low-man on the totem poll, forget it. If you have complaints, forget about it. HR department is inept. This used to be a great company- over the past 5 years things have really changed.

Advice to Management

Forget your title, and roll up your sleeves. Also, focus on Linvatec instead of Utica.

"Worst sales job I've ever had. Bar None."

Former Employee - Sales in North Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in North Amityville, NY

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only for building resume. Get the contacts you need at hospitals then get the heck out.

Cons

Terrible management team: bullying, micromanagement, controlling. It's like a little boy's club with gossip and bashing behind your back when you don't kiss their butts or bend over and take it up the tailpipe. To anyone considering working here - think again. The only division I'd consider is the Endo division. Don't say you weren't warned!

Advice to Management

Resign. Or if you're too stubborn, take some management courses for a change. Stop controlling and manipulating your hard-working employees. And to the new CEO? Try digging in to the real reasons for such terribly high turnover. Hint - Area Sales Directors but it doesn't stop there.

"Dysfunctional Management in Colorado"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

Pros

Lots of variety in the work for engineers.
    My boss is very supportive of my work.
    Pay is fair for the job description.

Cons

Senior Management is more worried about who to blame than solving problems.
    Zero cross functional team work.
    Management treats employees with distain and distrust. No interest in employee input.
    Management is very focused on how many hours are spent in the building, not on work results.
    Very little consideration of customer satisfaction or patient safety.
    No comprehension of regulatory expectations for a medical device manufacturer.

Advice to Management

Time to get rid of all the VP level managers in Colorado. They serve no purpose and manage poorly.