CONMED Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

CONMED Corporation Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, very rarely expected to work late or on weekends (in 4 reviews)

• Great people and great products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't relate to sales force (in 8 reviews)

• Takes very long for company to come out with new products internally (in 7 reviews)

1. "assembly tech. 3"

Former Employee - Assembly Tech III in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Assembly Tech III in Centennial, CO

I worked at CONMED Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people to be working with

Cons

closed co. plant sent jobs to mexico bad idea quality of work not as good as U.S. workers.

Advice to Management

bring jobs back to U.S. you still have plant in Colorado use it for production.

"good place to be at"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

entire new infrastructure from top down. future is bright and its a great place to be at with great leadership

Cons

not yet the largest company compared to competition and so still need to play little brother at times out in the field...but the bag of products is growing

Advice to Management

new leadership seems to have the right focuses...stay focused and keep providing best in class products

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great People
    - Solid Products
    - Global business
    - Good benefits and great 401k

Cons

- Senior Leadership talks a great game but doesn't truly care about employees
    - More interested in profitability than employee loyalty

Advice to Management

- Get out and talk to the employees vs. being so focused on sales numbers and acquisitions

"Stable Company, great benefits but no strategy for employee retention"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Utica, NY

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company exists for a couple of decades in Utica, NY area and provides great stability to the community. They have great benefits including tuition support for full time employees. It used to be at 90% back in 2005, I am not sure if they changed the policy. This is a great opportunity for people who want to go to school. Another positive thing about ConMed is that they are expanding so it provides job security.

Cons

There is no opportunity to advance your career too much, you can move up one level or two, but that is pretty much it. It is very difficult to move up for example from a coordinator level position to a supervisor level, or managerial level. It does not make a difference even if they have helped you with tuition to get a formal education. They will rather hire someone from the outside into those positions than to promote someone who grew up professionally with ConMed. Treatment of people in the factory area is even worse. People work a lot of overtime and then after a couple of years they develop various medical conditions that prevent them from normal functioning. ConMed has a team of people who take measures to simply terminate employment with these individuals and they hire a replacement. Instead they could limit number of overtime hours, they could look for other opportunities, within the company, for these people. None of this is being done.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Respect former employees who express the interest to join back to the company. Give them at least a chance to talk to your recruiters so they can find out how they can improve their skills to be more viable candidates for your company. Do not discard employees after you use them up to their maximum, that is not nice. Those people make you so successful regardless of the fact that they are "just labor workers".

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pinellas Park, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pinellas Park, FL

I have been working at CONMED Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is very welcoming and relaxed. The company is very multicultural, every race and religion is welcome at ConMed. Floating holidays are a big plus. Great work/life balance, very rarely expected to work late or on weekends. Overall easy-going atmosphere.

Cons

The salary is lower than industry averages. Management salaries, however, can be higher leading to a top-heavy organization. Management style is stuck in the '90's and can be very bureaucratic.

"I would not want a Conmed product used on me."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

Pros

Manufacture of good designed products. Good people to work with.

Cons

Training on medical devises is self-taught using poor technical documentation, with no method to correct or improved procedures. Quality verifies documentation, but does not verify that medical equipment meets FDA requirements. Test equipment is old and sometimes obsolet. Management closed to new ideas, continue to operate "as we have always done it". Test equipment using wrong parameters, and when brought to their attention, told our job is to test using the procedure, not to write or verify procedures just do what is written.

Advice to Management

Conform to FDA requirements, listen to your employees, update training and documentation.

"CNC Setup G7, Production support Mechanical Technicion"

Former Employee - CNC Setup G7, Production Support Mechanical Technician in Largo, FL

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation acruments. Benifits are ok. Clean shop (after my lead). Very close to home. Dayshift has good working hours.

Cons

This place was listed as a "Hostile workplace" when I applied and as far as I can tell should still be rated as a hostile workplace. I was never given the job I was hired on to do. I was there many years and applied for many other opportunities. Never chosen. I was not a part of thier "Club" literally. Tried to join was told there were no openings yet saw many others join thier little Sunshine Club as it is officially known... Really, Check it out.

Advice to Management

Utilize the talents employees bring. Stop your "Good old boys". Closed mindedness. You only hur yourselves. I have finally moved on to greener pastures. Have fun in Mexico!!!

9. "equipment engineering"

Former Employee - Equipment Engineering in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineering in Clearwater, FL

I worked at CONMED Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

You learn a lot. Work with a lot of equipment

Cons

No need to talk bad about the company

Advice to Management

no comments

10. "ConMed in Centennial"

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical/Industrial Designer in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical/Industrial Designer in Centennial, CO

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to do an industrial/ergonomic redesign of the Altrus Gen 1.X handpiece. I set up the top-down assembly structure, and designed all the plastic pieces and the lever, i.e. everything a user touches. I'm proud of it, I think all of us on the team did a great job, and I am waiting for the Design Patent to get issued.

Cons

....I just got downsized recently....

Advice to Management

Hire me back when you get new projects to work on........

"Poor Decision Making"

Former Employee - Manager in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Largo, FL

I worked at CONMED Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about the medical device industry.

Cons

New CEO, added pressure to meet quarterly financial goals. Unfortunately, since the company is not doing well, cost reduction measures are in place and people are losing their jobs.
    No advancement if not part of the "Club". Positions are given to employees without qualifications.

Advice to Management

To HR, question managers about the people selected to be promoted and laid off.