CONSOL Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
CONSOL Energy President and CEO Nicholas J. DeIuliis
Nicholas J. DeIuliis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good company to work for good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, good morale and company culture, very little micromanaging (in 8 reviews)

Cons

1. "Electrician Consol Energy"

Current Employee - Electrician in Wind Ridge, PA
    Current Employee - Electrician in Wind Ridge, PA

I have been working at CONSOL Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 6 percent match on the 401k is excellent most company's only match 2 percent if at all

Cons

Management changed greatly in the years I've been here...everything is a secret anymore won't tell you nothing about permits or the future...shoot last year I got drafted to work a weekend and the very following Monday they cut us back to four days a week and no overtime....same way with the longwall permit we knew nothing till Friday and they called Monday at your home if you was working or not....not good ethics we're extremely short handed running CM crews with bare minimum people....I don't know if there scared of people leaving that's why they won't tell you what's going on or what....but in my opinion alone all they have down was drag the whole moral of that mine down....noone not one person on the hourly perspective trusts management or the company....use to be you look forward to coming to work, you had fun with your buddies....now it's a dread every day...it's miserable when people hate the company for all the lies and secrets and noone wants to do more than they have to.for them....

Advice to Management

Good or bad....let the men know...I worked at emerald resources before consol....and they came right out and told us this date in two years this mine is done....and u won't believe the way the men rallied knowing that at least they were honest with us....shoot consol would wait till the day before and say don't come back it's ashame....we have.families to provide for that depend on us....we're not just a number we have wife's son's daughters who depend on us...

2. "maintenance leader"

Current Employee - Maintenance Foreman in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Foreman in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CONSOL Energy part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

to extend my professional skill sets to a company which can benefit

Cons

off shift call outs to troubleshoot a problem.

Advice to Management

I was a qualified instructor in the following skills, 3 phase high voltage, High pressure hydraulics, mechanical rebuild skills, taught lock an tag procedures.
    held safety classes each work week.

3. "Drilling Engineer"

I worked at CONSOL Energy full-time

Pros

Opportunity to grow within company

Cons

They put profits over people

4. "Maintenance Foreman"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CONSOL Energy full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Working in a coal mine

Advice to Management

Keep growing

5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at CONSOL Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good salary and good people

Cons

poor work life balance and no retirement benefits

6. "Great people at the mine"

Pros

Great co workers and management at coal mine level

Cons

Top management /ownership at corporate level didn't value workers at that time

7. "Exciting Times Ahead!"

I have been working at CONSOL Energy full-time

Pros

CONSOL Energy is undergoing a massive transformation and if you love to build and create - this is the place to work.
    Pros: Salary, monthly bonus opportunity, vacation time, benefits, work environment is fun and enthusiastic

Cons

The only con is if you don't like change, there's a lot of it around!

Advice to Management

Keep up the enthusiasm!

8. "Getting there!"

I have been working at CONSOL Energy full-time

Pros

great engagement activities for employees and families, key culture initiatives exist, but sends conflicts with work demand to life balance.

Cons

On-boarding process was lengthy, IT was not helpful with getting employees set up to start working; minimal transparency within organization on business objectives;

Advice to Management

getting pulled in different directions each week makes it hard to figure out long term goals for organization and how i can provide value add on day to day because of shifting priorities; not enough communication from top to all the way down -communication may go down one level or two but stops

"Manager"

I worked at CONSOL Energy full-time

Pros

Workforce nice to work with.

Cons

Upper management lacks ability to plan.

10. "The Only Constant In Life Is Change..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at CONSOL Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Transition seemed to be the theme during my time there; however, while stressful, it does provide a unique opportunity for learning and growth.

- One of the biggest things that stands out when I recall my time there was CONSOL's commitment to their employee development, through the use of various business related and personal development training classes. I believe it is a good example of how the company invests in it's employees.

Cons

- There were definitely some personnel in middle management positions who should have never been allowed to be people managers...not saying that they were bad at their job function, just that having the additional responsibility of direct reports may have been out of the scope of their abilities and/or personal care. I would imagine this happens across every large organization and not just CONSOL, but it's still unfortunate, for everyone involved - as it ultimately has an impact on the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

From the news I see there is still a great deal of transition happening. Transparency (real transparency) with your employees and personal acknowledgement of jobs well done will go a long way in keeping morale up during uncertain times. I do have many great memories from my time there, and sincerely appreciate the opportunity and experience I gained while employed there. Best of luck with all your future ventures!