COPE Health Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
COPE Health Solutions CEO Allen Miller
Allen Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The leadership in the firm continues to grow, expanding on the expertise and resident bench strength to support team members and the accounts (in 12 reviews)

• We work hard and try to maintain some work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is often cited in this section for a reason (in 7 reviews)

• long hours, barely any thank yous (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lucky enough to love the work I do and company I work for"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazingly talented and fun team! The company does a great job of recruiting and hiring extremely talented, great people that truly become like a family. This is extremely important when you travel and work so many hours with your team. Most importantly, everyone on the team is extremely smart, dedicated, and ambitious, but there is always a sense of teamwork and not a culture of negative competition.

- Amazing benefits like unlimited PTO, maternity and paternity leave, wellness stipend, gym membership, and the list goes on...the company truly cares about the employee and appreciates the hard work and dedication each individual brings to the table

- Motto "work hard and play hard" is definitely true at COPE and passion for healthcare and serving the most vulnerable populations is evident from the CEO and across all levels in the organization

Cons

- While the company promotes work-life balance as much as possible, there are still long hours and a lot of travel required most of the time...this is only a con for those looking for more stable lifestyle, but might not be as negative for others that don't mind long hours and frequent travel
    - The company has grown very rapidly, so there have been some growing pains that the company is still working through

Advice to Management

There needs to be continued focus on defining the different levels in the company and how to grow internally...everything is so fast paced most of the time that we tend to forget that employees also need to grow professionally and take advantage of mentors and other opportunities to develop their career

"PM Role"

I worked at COPE Health Solutions full-time

Pros

unlimited PTO; great health benefits

Cons

consistently worked overtime with no compensation or assistance provided

Advice to Management

get to know your employees

"Not a Great Place to Further Your Career"

I worked at COPE Health Solutions full-time

Pros

Turnover is super high so you might get promoted quickly.

Cons

The CEO, the offices and the culture. Other than that it's ok.

Advice to Management

Report everything to the Board of Directors, nothing will change until you do.

"COPE Experience = Build your own adventure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- COPE does not hire average or above average caliber talent. If you are lucky enough to be considered for employment at COPE Health Solutions, you will find yourself in the company of a very young, diverse & extremely competent pool of coworkers who play just as hard as they work (I apologize for the cliche). The downside to this pro is that the "sink or swim" approach is very much a reality. Those hired closer to entry level positions (interns, consultants, senior consultants) have an appropriate amount of slack to get up to speed in a our very fast paced culture. However those hired in upper level positions (managers, directors & VPs) are less likely to enjoy this luxury. Good news is, if you make it through the hiring process, you are a beast and should pat yourself on the back for a second before you hit the ground running while we continue our aggressive growth trajectory.

- We are mission driven. Not just on our website tagline, but everyday. This may not matter to some, including myself, however it does speak to the integrity of the organization as a whole which I very much value. Much of our current work deals with Medicaid expansion and safety net hospitals, therefore if client leadership appears as if their agenda does not align with the advancement of population health, we do not hesitate to come to a respectful parting of ways. We are fortunate to be in this position as lately we have been solicited for more work than we can staff.

-Our benefit package rivals the big 4 and in many ways surpasses them. If you get a chance to interview, definitely inquire about the "Wellness Stipend". Very few things are more boss-like than getting massages, haircuts, and dry cleaning covered by the company. As great as our benefit package is currently, our young HR team is constantly looking for ways to improve and pamper our hardworking revenue drivers and administration.

-Our CEO. Full disclosure: I am not in a position currently where my day-to-day involves working with Allen, however in the past I did have a good amount of exposure to him and can confirm some of what some of what other reviews are referring to when they write about our CEO with some negative undertones. The reason I list him as a pro is because of his self awareness. He has made a concerted effort to better improve his leadership as CEO by seeking out coaching resources and always being sure to emphasize his accessibility to the entire firm, regardless of level or tenure. He, along with the rest of upper and middle management, is quick to give publicly credit team members for a job well done and does not take himself too seriously and will admit fault if he makes a (rare) mistake in judgement. Overall I appreciate his ambition, intensity, and how he fills out his Santa suit every year for our open bar holiday parties.

-Freedom. This bullet point might as well be grouped in with the sink or swim aspect of our company, however I feel as though it is important to list as its own pro. I have worked under 4 different managers during my tenure at COPE and only one of my managers had the slightest hint of a micro managing bone in their body (which was largely due to us both being extremely green at the time). We have a large amount of freedom and are rarely (never?) nagged for spending, timeliness, or timesheet submissions. This is largely due to us collectively being mature, reliable employees, and also part due to the administration understanding our hectic schedules. We also have unlimited vacation, which can have its downsides, however managers are always happy to approve time off because we are all aware of how hard everyone works.

-Great work does not go unrecognized. If you are a star, you will be compensated. The COPE experience is 100% a build your own adventure endeavor. The phrase "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" rings more true here than ever. We are still somewhat of a fledgling company when it comes to corporate structure (this has changed drastically in the past 18 months as we have a very strong HR dept), therefore title changes and raises are not necessarily at the mercy of a annual review process. It is in everyone's best interest for all employees to shine and management does a great job of frequently asking if we need upgraded equipment, classes, etc to ensure we have the most equipped workforce possible.

Cons

- Work/Life balance is often cited in this section for a reason. However having said that, I feel it is up to the individual to address any issues with whatever is irking them and management is typically eager to do what they can to make accommodations to mitigate any issues when possible. *Insert squeaky wheel cliche again*. My personal schedule includes an insanely jam packed Tuesday-Thursday, however I do enjoy the luxury of offsite Mondays and Fridays with the occasional offsite weekend work (so far nothing more than 4 hours a day on the weekends). To provide some context, I am still fairly early on in my career and do not have a family that competes for my attention, therefore do not have an issue with working a ton and "paying dues".

-Our current growth explosion has our company divided to some extent into a few different regional cliques. Being a national firm, I feel as though this was inevitable, however I have heard complaints from coworkers about feeling siloed in their respective projects. However we have many happy hours and company events that individuals could more aggressively take advantage of in order to break down these perceived barriers.

-Unlimited vacation sounds phenomenal in theory, however many of us are stretched thin enough that it feels selfish to take time off and leave the workload for others who already have very little bandwidth to contribute. Since we are so very close, this guilt for taking off is a very real thing. However just like I have mentioned above, this can be solved by oiling your own squeaky wheel. Additionally, in many positions, promotions do not include passing work off to subordinate employees, leaving you with an increasing work load, making growth more difficult than it needs to be if we were more adequately staffed at the lower levels of the company. This is especially true for the administrative positions.

-Management at times can be overly optimistic and will commit to things without the bandwidth to see them through. Its great to have support across the board for ideas and cross department exposure, but the reality of our company at this point in time (July 2017) is that very few people, especially executives, have the bandwidth to follow through. Not the worst con in the world, but absolutely worth noting.

Advice to Management

I feel as though there would be an incredible value add to having an executive manager that did not bill for consulting work. I love all of our executives, but they simply do not have time or resources required to adequately manage our company without aid from someone who could dedicate themselves full time to internal affairs. Having that said, I think they have done an outstanding job given the 15 "free" minutes a month they might have to address future proofing the company and making great hires. All in all I am a big fan, but my 2 cents is that a full-time, non-billing executive manager could provide a huge benefit to our stability.

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the firm for about four plus years. It has definitely been a roller coaster ride, but all in all it has been a blast. The company is close knit so you get to know the staff really well. If you're out in the field as a consultant, you may not get to know everyone; however, you definitely build a close relationship with your team.

The company is small to medium sized so it isn't uncommon for you to get face time with Executives. Management does their best to help team members balance work and life.

Cons

No cons to state at this moment.

Advice to Management

I appreciate Management addressing the needs of the team. Although the work can be demanding, it is offset by the benefits and countless team building activities we have.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people make a wonderful community of teamwork constantly pushing and supporting healthcare care delivery reform.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard, but the people you get to work with are inspirational and caring.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in culture

"LOVE working for COPE Health Solutions!"

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being surrounded by intelligent, energetic, and hard working team members that share the same goals of growing and overachieving. Amazing company benefits.

Cons

work/life balance can be challenging due to the consultant lifestyle of traveling and working long hours, but you are compensated very well to help with this balance.

8. "Vice President"

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time

Pros

I am amazed to be surrounded by such talented and passionate colleagues. It's taken a long time for me to find a firm that not only fits with my values and also my professional drive.

Cons

We moved into a beautiful new office space while I was on-boarding which made the first couple of weeks a little bit tough.

"Enter at your own risk"

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time

Pros

The talent being recruited for this company is second to none but most new hires are at the senior levels. Majority of the workforce is very young and inexperienced and while the top level is being filled out with industry experts, the second layer is all but absent. Therefore, in addition to client work and running the business, the executive team is also in charge of developing talent, which they really don’t have time to do.
    The vision of the company remains unclear. There seem to be two halves – consulting (relatively new) and health scholars (legacy business). While the CEO is busy building the consulting division in New York, the LA office is quickly dwindling. It feels like the health scholar team is being kept around for nostalgic reasons and they keep trying to tweak it to fit in the overall strategy but there is no real CEO engagement on the service line.
    The tone at the company is set by the CEO – a very hard driven and intelligent executive who works day and night and expects the same of his employees. Unfortunately, he doesn’t actually value anyone that works for him. He dresses down his staff (from executive team to assistant) in front of each other so that the affect is felt far beyond the poor person he is targeting. People joke about it or offer advice on how to avoid it. The problem is that no one is telling him plain and simple that THIS IS NOT OKAY. That he is a bully. And that his behavior comes with consequences.
    The benefits are top notch and there is plenty of fun being supported by the company from free lunches to weekly happy hours and offsite team building. This is great for attracting talent as well as keeping burnt out employees on the hook. What it doesn’t do is build loyalty and dedication. It is true – many companies survive and thrive with jerk CEOs and overextended employees, and many employees can find rewarding work despite being managed by a jerk. Only time will tell if COPE can survive rapid growth under current leadership, but for now, the revolving door of employees speaks for itself.

Cons

The above paragraph references the overall pros and cons.

"We laugh when ppl say work/life balance...eek"

Pros

This firm has managed to hire every student who picked up everyone's slack in group projects throughout grade-school. The team is dynamic, surprisingly diverse and full of go-getters. Everyone is willing to be a resource to their colleagues and be accessible at all times. I am blown away at how much the team feels like family and works hard to cultivate a sense of unity and togetherness.

Cons

Most of the employees are young professionals, starting their careers and working on their masters. A lot of the employees do not have families or spouses and I think that this speaks to two things. One, the hours and demand of the job is not family-friendly and therefore we are not attracting candidates with families. Secondly, I suspect that after three years or so when individuals' priorities in life change they transition out of the firm because I do not believe we have a culture that can sustain employees with families.

Advice to Management

You have a team of go-getters that are committed to measuring up to the standard you set and willing to fulfill your ask regardless of how much they are stretched thin. Therefore, be mindful of your ask and do not just celebrate employees willingness to take on new task and be stretched because that can be borderline abusive. Instead also celebrate the employees who are self-aware and emotionally healthy enough to say "I have too much on my plate." We do not have a culture where people can truly practice work/life balance and be respected for it. Our culture is one where our worth as employees is based on our deliverables and although exciting and fun for a recent grad, this leads to burnout. I would like to see the firm truly invest in work/life balance, make it a part of our professional development plan and/or bring in guest speakers; let's invest in our wholeness and with that will come longevity of your employees commitment to the firm instead of it being a springboard.