COUNTRY Financial Reviews in Bloomington, IL | Glassdoor

4.1
COUNTRY Financial CEO Kurt F. Bock
Kurt F. Bock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Positive environment, good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Good base salary in an industry that doesn't often provide one (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • End up building your book of business for existing Agent (in 11 reviews)

• Your unable to focus on the Financial side if that's your strong suit as your required to chase P&C business to meet thresholds (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Corporate Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture is incredible! Generous salary, incredible benefits, flexible work schedule, and support not only in your professional goals, but in personal development as well. I encourage any friends living in the area to apply!

Cons

This is still a full work week with goals to meet and projects to complete, so if you're looking for a place to just "get by" this isn't the place for you. The teams here work together and have fun, but they get things done!

Advice to Management

Continue supporting and building the camaraderie between teammates. You are invaluable in every division of this company! Thank you for leading well.

2. "Agency Recruiting Intern"

Current Intern - Agency Recruiting in Bloomington, IL
    Current Intern - Agency Recruiting in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team! Always open to my many questions and ideas as I'm new to recruiting. Surrounds your work based on your interests. Challenges you in a way that is intimidating at first but really makes you grow into a well rounded individual. At COUNTRY there is no such thing as "busy" work. The work I do is extremely close to that of a full time recruiter. The internship program offers you the opportunity to volunteer in the community, listen to executives give advice on leadership and career development and you also can participate in a case competition and earn $4,000 if you win!

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Country"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits...retirement, PTO. Great people.

Cons

In IT, you are expected to be available 24/7. If you are management, you are expected to be available on vacations also.

Advice to Management

Go back to the family atmosphere and quit treating employees as replaceable minions.

"Good company, poor IT management"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, financial stability. Solid brand. Mutual company. Hard working workforce.

Cons

Poor IT leadership. Middle management is terrible about innovation, with poor awareness of industry practices. Selfish with zero servant leadership mentality. Good old boys club, backing each other up. That has to go. Even the slow moving giant competitor has woken up and is shaking up IT management.

Advice to Management

Wake up and see what your lack of skills is doing to the workforce that deserves proper frameworks, guard rails and support.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees; benefits - medical, dental, vision

Cons

Down sizing in several areas; management doesn't care about employees; replacement of American workers; Contact Center is a meat-grinder with micro-management - if you like being nothing more than a number then you'll love it.

Advice to Management

None...never listened when it was provided so no need to provide any now.

6. "Billing Services"

Former Employee - Billing Services Representative B in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Billing Services Representative B in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not a phone job. Great people. Highly value Six Sigma training. Bonus based on company profits. Flexible schedule with flex-time.

Cons

Low pay and little advancement. Very corporate atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your team.

7. "Total Loss Adjuster"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits and great pay. I have been with COUNTRY for 5 years now and cannot see myself working anywhere else.

Cons

None I can think of. The company is in transition and has some catching up to do on dress code policies and casual dress but when you are treated well, paid well, valued and have amazing benefits... who cares?

8. "Business Analyst Position Review"

Former Employee - Business/Test Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Business/Test Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent time working with a great mind set of people

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Get out of service management ideas

"Demanding but rewarding."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, promote inner company advancement, opportunities to be involved, great management, fast raises, ethically sound company, personable executive staff.

Cons

Stressful and overwhelming training, pay doesn't touch the competitor in town, hard to schedule time off as a newbie, late night schedule starting out.

Advice to Management

More training time.

"Travel back in time...."

Former Employee - Education and Development in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Education and Development in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean and spacious work environment. Close to everything, short commute from anywhere in town

Cons

If you like a 1950's work environment, this is the place for you. Cliquish and class-aware is the unspoken rule in day to day survival.

Top level officers are considered a part of an elite class, that are you aren't allowed to speak to. We wanted their input on a project but were told they had to be handled with kid gloves, like diva celebrities. Middle management quadruple checks and edits every message before you can communicate with them. There's no such thing as an "open door policy" in the upper echelons.

Middle managers are hired from the outside based on how they dress and how attractive they are, not for their actual skill or expertise. Promoted for who they attend social functions with, not for their knowledge or ability.

I've been in meetings where company politics were so strong, managers were screaming at each other. You have to play cutsie "team building" games like giving each other a cut-out of a yellow taxi when you see them doing something good, and then they get to hang their taxi's in their cube. How fun! <insert eye roll here>.

You're forced to attend paid speaker events they hire from the outside that are supposed to be "inspiring" but the message is tired and really just appeals to the lowest common denominator.

You must manage your sick time and personal time to the enth degree. No one ever says, "as long as your work is done before deadlines and done well, take whatever time out of the office as you need."

Advice to Management

Open your doors and hear the criticism, as well as ideas for improvement from the rank and file.

If they don't have great ideas, they shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Mingle with the "working class" and you'll build some trust. Allow us to get your input on our projects, unfiltered. Be brave and secure enough to ask us questions about what we're doing and the listen and learn.

Let up on the PT already. People know how to do their jobs. Measure and pay us for our performance, not the hours logged to the tracking systems.

It's the 21st century. Just because the organization started in the early 20th, doesn't mean you need to stay there.