COUNTRY Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

COUNTRY Financial CEO Kurt F. Bock
Kurt F. Bock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "End up building your book of business for existing Agent" (in 11 reviews)

• "Company browser is behind the times and there is no wireless internet" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many employees have been around for years. I started with Country Financial over 20 years ago right out of college. I have stuck with this company due to their culture, pension plan and opportunity for growth.

Cons

I wish flexible work such as working 4 days a work (10 hours) would be promoted rather than traditional 5 day work week. If this is an option, I'm not aware of it.

Advice to Management

When showing new job postings, please consider those that are more remote as in not located at major hubs such as Atlanta, Bloomington. Many remote workers would like to know if a new job may fit their skill set but often these jobs are posted at a location when they likely can be done from someone working from home. Making it clear if a job can be done remotely would be a big deal for many employees who feel left out.

"Financial Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial (Less than a year)

Pros

What a terrific opportunity! The initial training is very thorough, but it is a lot to take in. The training in Bloomington is good, primarily designed for new agents to the industry. I’m impressed with the company’s support with additional learning resources and the best brokerage setup in the business. As a new agent you can basically propose any coverages either through Country or the brokerage. This arrangement provides additional income opportunities and can help you meet your validation requirements as well. The life products offered through Country Life are extremely competitive!
    In my area, the local Agency Manager has been very supportive. Initially your office expenses are covered by Country.

Cons

It is a challenging industry. The best advise I could give would be to listen to your Agency Manager and prospect..prospect.. and prospect. It’s a numbers game, the more prospects you talk to, the better your results will be.

Advice to Management

Continue to provides the “best in class” support to your agents. Although I’m relatively new to Country, I’ve been the business for quite a while, many of the reps that don’t have that background don’t realize how good it is here. I appreciate the opportunity.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Agency and Marketing in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Agency and Marketing in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good company with the best of intentions to serve their customers and policy holders. They really take to heart the mutual company model. Executive management has always had the best interests of the clients and great values.

Cons

Slow moving to the point that they are willing to have other companies outperform them in all markets while riding on the heritage of the company. Should be a bit more aggressive if for no other reason than there are consumers in every market who could have better service.

Advice to Management

Stick with the values and get a little more competitive.

4. "Good research park internship"

Current Employee - Mobile Applications Developer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Mobile Applications Developer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team and good learning experience

Cons

part time working hours are limited

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small company feel, great retirement benefits, great work-life balance mentality, flexible hours

Cons

The company is behind in technology

6. "Nice Environment with Low Stress"

Former Employee - Underwriting Support in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Underwriting Support in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly everyone I worked with were great and all very nice people. Managers never treated us like they were above us and everyone felt like equals. It made me actually enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Their computer systems were a bit behind the times, but by the time I had left they had fixed many of their system issues and things were running much more smoothly.

Advice to Management

None! Stay wonderful and humkle!

7. "Good Co, watch out in small office."

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, ethical company in regards to insureds. Small business feel in agent owned office. Fair towards customers.

Cons

Agents can be controlling, vindictive. An employee of the agent can be treared badly, ans illegally fired, because you are employed by the agent not the company.
    Agents are unfairly treated by district managers. Some district and regional managers play favorites, are inappropriate with agents and treat office staff poorly.
    Company has unrealistic expectations for agents, ignores retention and over focuses on new business.

Advice to Management

Protect office employees. I was fired for personal reasons relating to the agent's family. If you want agents to stay or more people to become agents, stop requiring so much new business that puts stress on agents who work in small towns. Treat agents as people and not just money makers. Put yourself in the offices in some way to monitor how employees are treated, paid, etc.
    Production Assistants do the majority of the work but see little financial gain. Many agents expect their office people to do everything for them. Some agents work hard but many pass everything to their employees then blame them for not having new business.

8. "Manager Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Excellent benefits.

Cons

I can't think of any!

9. "Senior Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Leesburg, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Leesburg, GA

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant work environment and very competitive pay

Cons

The same minor issues that all companies have

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on the customer

"Financial Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay you a small salary to learn how to sell insurance. The home office employees are great and helpful

Cons

If you are not part of the old boys club you will not succeed. They will encourage you to quite. Your clients will then go to fatten up career representatives

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with a fair opportunity. I was at Country Financial for 5 years I made all of my benchmarks when I was ready to convert I would be making $700 a month I found out that a book was given to career reps that didn't do 1/8 of my production. They were part of the old boys club. Opportunities are not equal.