CPI Office Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
David Cain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free water, coffee game room, 8 to 5 no weekends (in 11 reviews)

• Always willing to assist you in getting the job done (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Owner is greedy and likes to take money from it sales reps to "motivate" threatens top reps withe being fired if they organize outside of work (in 6 reviews)

• 10,000 a year LESS on the base pay (in 3 reviews)

1. "CPI Products Review"

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time

Pros

Get country settings and great down to earth people

Cons

Harsh work environment since factory had no A/C.

Advice to Management

Listen to production workers suggestions more in increase involvement and productivity.

"Good money bad management"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lewisville, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Enjoyed the people i worked with and my customers.

Cons

Cut throat. A lot of turnover, too much change

Advice to Management

Be more consistent

"Deduction deduction!"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free water, coffee game room, 8 to 5 no weekends. Holiday pay and cool coworkers and cool drivers and that's about all

Cons

Owner is greedy and likes to take money from it sales reps to "motivate" threatens top reps withe being fired if they organize outside of work. Now they don't pay commissions on OEM toner but the sales are counted to hit you unrealistic goal. Now they will take 3% off the top of commissions if 45% of a reps toners sales are not compatible toners. BS!

Advice to Management

Appreciate the dales you get regardless of what the customer buys. CPI is not the only game in town and definitely is not the best due to horrible management.

4. "Loved the pay, loved the job, loved the clients, hated management."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great job and pays well. Office supplies sell themselves, so the job consists of cold calling to convince why businesses should buy from you. You manage all of your own clients.

Cons

Management is awful. The company grows, but management is rarely ever happy. If sales are down, jobs are threatened. They promise to beat all competitors prices, and will let you quote prices for a contract, but then throw a fit if the costumer continues to ask for price matching.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Most people quit their boss, not their job.

"Micromanaged company that was handed to a drunk who does burnouts in the parking lot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Pros

There is a twenty word minimum entry per each field for this review. Here's my twenty words of positive review.

Cons

Let's start with the positive reviews on glassdoor.com. Being in outside sales, I have a knack for learning about people I work with, work for, sell to, etc. During my time CPI, I had the opportunity to learn a lot about the inside and outside sales staff. One thing that seemed to be common among all the employees who have been there for 5+ months, they had no respect for the company. Aside from people in management roles, morale is nonexistent. My review, among all the other negative reviews, is not to get back at the company, but rather to help management and HR understand a serious problem in their employment strategy within its walls. Their response: flood glassdoor.com with their own positive reviews. I can't think of any company I've ever worked for, nor can you, that I haven't one single negative point to make. My point being, if you find the norm to be having a voice within a company, as you are the eyes and ears in the field, don't expect to find what you're use to at CPI. They may encourage you to actually think for yourself, but don't expect to be praised or rewarded for doing so.

Let's talk about change. For a company to grow (CPI has been dropping in sales and market share for years) necessary changes need to be made in order to streamline the sales process, ensure customers are happy and have an edge up above the competition. These aren't the kind of changes I'm referring to. CONSTANT change within pay structures and commissions, job titles, whom you report to, how many cold calls (referring to their current definition- not a lead sent by an inside sales rep or company you've previously visited) in a day, etc. Google's definition of a cold call- "an unsolicited visit or telephone call made by someone trying to sell goods or services." By that definition, you can decide for yourself how the two opposing views measure up.

During my employment, management or as I understood it, the owner who has zero interaction with any staff outside a few of the VP's, decided we should read a book on the topic of sales and hold a few "book club" meetings to self-reflect, grow and help fine-tune ourselves in becoming successful salespeople. The book is titled, "The Little Red Book of Selling" by Jeffry Gitomer. One of his most noteworthy points he tries to make in his writing is that the best way to cold call is NOT TO DO IT. During our book club discussions we decided we were above this point.

The point I'll end with is this- do not expect to reap what you sow. I put five months in; I did my job and then some. I turned down offers from other companies because I made my bed and so I slept in it. In the end, management (or as I'm told through the grapevine, the owner) made an impulse decision to fire 3/4 of the outside sales staff for no reason which hasn't already been pointed out multiple times on here already. There was no rhyme or reason to it. When you don't listen to your sales staff and believe business will simply just be there, you lose market share, your sales drop and your ship starts to sink. CPI's answer to this dilemma is to reduce payroll by firing the sales staff- the ones who are going out and bringing in the business.

Advice to Management

If CPI continues on the same path it's currently on, there won't be a company to micromanage in the next 5-10 years. Sell the company to someone who understands business 101, business ethics and management. A company of this size has no place being ran by someone who only looks at the numbers or one who had the company keys handed to him only to drive it into the ground. Sell it fast too, because it won't be worth as much next year or even tomorrow.

6. "It's what you make it!"

I have been working at CPI Office Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the 8-5 mentality. Most sales jobs require more hours (weekends in some cases) to be financially successful. I provide a good life for my family within that 8-5 timeframe. They're investing in additional resources and training to fine tune our skills. I have fun with my customers and work hard alongside people I enjoy! Our managers are talented, helpful, and not afraid of change. Office supplies are fun! And gym game room coffee cool coworkers contests free food!

Cons

Seemingly unrealistic expectations at times and communication throughout the organization has room for improvement. The atmosphere can be negative but that seems to be changing. The website could be more practical and easier for employees to manage in an effort to attract more web users. Lack of social presence.

Advice to Management

Encourage more of a team atmosphere. Invest in training for your management team, as well. And thank you for always helping us!

7. "Great Place for Employment"

I have been working at CPI Office Products full-time

Pros

Supportive management that take care of their employees if you are putting in the work to the best of your ability, nice employees, onsite gym and LOTS of coffee :)
    Understanding and always willing to help you/take the time to explain things when needed.
    Though it is far from my home, I enjoy coming in every day, and enjoy the team I work with.

Cons

High turnover, but that can be a part of any company to weed out any and all employees not willing to put in the work, or take the time to get help when needed.

Too many negative comments from negative people that can sometimes steer away the potential good employees; can't always listen to what the negative ones have to say, this is a great company with great opportunities.

8. "Try it"

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at CPI Office Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Game room. Gym. Coffee. Bottled water. Base pay. Experience. Mandated breaks . Support. They let you handle accounts as if it were your own business. If you sell , you do it right. If you don't sell, they role play and help develop you if you are willing to learn. All the negative reviews are from negative people . It's simple ,you do your job, you keep it. If you can't perform well, you need to find something else.

Cons

Sitting all day.seat points ( but why why would a company keep you if you are not contributing )

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. You recognize who deserves it, and coach who needs help. They call it micro managing . I call it developing.

"Don't Try It"

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time

Pros

Free bottled water and a gym.

Cons

Everything. One of the last peoplethat reviewed on here said the negative reviews were from negative people and if you do your job you keep your job. That's flat out false. I was top 5 in the company for new sales as was another new person and 1 week into the next month I was let go along with everyone else that had been hired in the last 6 months REGARDLESS of what they sold. They let us go so they could go in a "different direction". Apparently that direction meant hiring more inside sales 2- 3 months after they fired everyone and paid them $10,000 a year LESS on the base pay.

"Standard job, plenty of time for family"

Pros

-Done by 530 every day

Cons

Cold calls are brutal, expectations not always realistic

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about potential issues and your strategies