CPI Security Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Kenneth J Gill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • To even further complicate matters, upper management is completely inept (in 5 reviews)

• Mr Gill is totally out of touch with how to keep sales reps happy (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy working for CPI. Everyone here is enthusiastic about the work they do. The HR Department and entire senior staff, even the CEO, is incredibly involved in the business and will greet you by name when they see you. The perks to the job are incredible, I've never seen anything like it in any other business I've been at, from concert tickets to game tickets to trips. Most of the perks you don't even have to do anything outstanding to receive just being a good employee and doing your best is enough. I'm 8 years in and I still enjoy being with CPI.

Cons

You have to be willing to work hard and put in the time and effort. If you're not willing to you aren't going to make money and you aren't going to be happy. The biggest reason people leave the company is they're not willing to work hard.

Mar 2, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for the awesome review! We are glad you've enjoyed being part of the CPI Family, and we certainly appreciate all of your hard work during you time with us!

2. "IT"

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

Great company
    Close family type atmosphere
    CEO is very friendly, always goes around talking to employees
    CEO always asks if there is something he can do to make work better
    Company events are always well planned

Cons

Can't think of anything right now.

3. "Ok place to begin sales career if you can door knock; your paycheck will NEVER be correct."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is one of the best in the country. Gas allowance helps. iPad and iPhone provided. Shirts are nice. Good place to BEGIN sales career.

Cons

Work environment is full of drama. Upper Management doesn't help you with problems or even listen. No one will take responsibility. Payroll will cheat you every paycheck. Management plays favorites. "Every man for himself" corporate culture. Managers only look out for themselves; do not expect them to help you with sales problems, paycheck problems, or anything. I asked for help countless times on sales and paycheck issues and never received help. On getting shorted on sales' commission, I was told "that's just how it is". You are on your own 100% of the time. Clear divide between sales and ops.

Advice to Management

Training needs a dose of reality. You really have to drink the kool-aid to get by. You come out of training believing every door you knock will be eternally grateful you stopped by. The trainer refused to explain the commission system to me. "We'll do it later" was the answer every time I asked. Listen to your reps and keep your word. Change was promised by lower and upper management countless times, but I never saw any positive changes. Mr. Gill is worshipped like a god, that needs to change. He also needs to investigate payroll. Every single check I received was incorrect on my commission. Every. Single. One. All my manager would do was send an email. Stop screwing with people's earned money. Pay them what they are due. And to the person who will reply to this to try and save face for the company: I brought every issue to my manager and was met with apathy. I tried every way I could to resolve issues, but when the person you hired to manage a branch only cares about themself and their pay and their budget, you quickly grow contempt for the company.

Oct 23, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for openly sharing your experience as an employee at CPI. While we regret that your experience was not positive, we appreciate your feedback and will use this to make improvements for... More

4. ""Protect what matters most""

Current Employee - Security Advisor in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Security Advisor in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge Market!! Awesome Culture!!Get paid!!

Cons

Lazy People wont make it!!

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

Oct 18, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

It's great to hear that you enjoy being part of the "work hard, play hard" culture here at CPI! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here!

"Great Company with great perks"

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

Stable income, many perks, great benefits.

Cons

Branch offices have no room for advancement. The only way to get promotion is to relocate to Charlotte.

Advice to Management

Please listen to employees and understand.

Aug 16, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for the great review! We love to hear that you enjoy being a part of the team here at CPI. As we continue to grow, expect more opportunities to come about in your market.

"TAKE A LOOK AT THE POSITIVE REVIEWS CLOSELY"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

The positive reviews are three or four on ONE DAY, then one or two apart, then another. No other company has three or four reviews on ONE DAY. Also, all the reviews are one or two sentences. That is not the norm either.

Cons

Padding their horrible company culture with lies and deceit is the same as the way they treat customers - tell them one thing and do another behind the veil of a contract and signatures. BE CAREFUL. THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLY RUN, and many of these reviews may be fake.

Advice to Management

Tell Ken to retire and let someone else turn it into a company of security and protecting people instead of a "pay for my helicopter" machine. It's so sad what you do to people and make them believe you are in their best interest.

Aug 29, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Our CEO and entire executive team promote an inclusive environment in which all employees are encouraged to strive for greatness within CPI. There are many employees that have spent their entire... More

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - New Construction Sales Representative in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - New Construction Sales Representative in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for CPI for 10 months. This is by far the best company I have worked for and I have been in the security industry for 7 years. Great company and great people

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

pay to much for insurance if you are a tabacco user

Jul 10, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

We love to hear that you're a happy member of the CPI family! Thanks for everything you do for the team. If you need information on benefits, you can always contact HR to determine pricing and what... More

8. "Great company"

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

The company takes care of you

Cons

Easy to loose focus and fall behind

"If you're in sales, prepare to spend hours auditing every single paycheck!"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and competitive pricing. Great benefits (401k, insurance, etc.) as well. They also provide shirts, iPad, gas card, etc.

Cons

They micro-manage you and want to know your activity every hour when you're 100% commission. They also have found unwritten loopholes to prevent you from getting paid what you've worked hard to earn. Read the comp plan. Memorize the complete plan. And expect the company to find another unwritten way to not pay you.

Advice to Management

If you have bonuses, pay the bonuses! If there's commission, pay the commission! I left the company because I was exhausted from having to literally audit my paycheck every two weeks.

Apr 26, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Our outside sales representatives are some of the most hardworking individuals that contribute to the company's success. Sales reps can look to the compensation plan, which provides the framework for... More

10. "sales"

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

CPI is on of the best companies in my opinion to work for. They care about there employees, the atmosphere is great and Mr. Gill is accessible which is usually never heard of in a family owned company. The sales team was great and my manager was the bomb in new construction....Unfortunately I realized sales wasn't for me and I promise you it is on my bucket list to work for this company again . I literally stalk their website to see if something fits my experience.

Cons

I don't have one thing to say bad

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you doing.