CSAA Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance: Wellness programs that are actually fun- great classes and super instructors" (in 76 reviews)

• "good benefits, great 401k match, AIP bonus" (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior Management can do a better job so that the low level staff can work more professionally & participate more actively with open doors and windows" (in 38 reviews)

• "Maintaining a work life balance is a constant struggle" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You - Really - Can Follow Your Dreams: Leverage, Expand, and Apply Your Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities"

Current Employee - Leadership Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Leadership Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no reasons or excuses not to proactively contribute to a culture of performance at our company. We are encouraged to apply ourselves for personal and professional growth - with a clear focus on values and favorable impact on the experiences of our customers/members. Adaptability, flexibility, and balance is cultivated and supported for us to be the company our customers/members continually need now and into the future. We say it, and we create the space and focus to do and be just that.

Cons

In ever-changing/evolving expectations of customers/members in a technology-filled and enhanced world, our focus on ensuring a dynamic culture feels and seems just right.

Advice to Management

Balancing the need for speed and agility, we need to continue recognizing the value/power of employees and ensure sensible/effective/sustainable approaches are in place for them to thrive, and thereby our company to thrive in service of our customers/members and employees.

Dec 26, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your review and feedback!

2. "Service agent"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, educational benefits

Cons

Job advancement is hard unless upper management likes you. If your not sucking up you won’t move up

Advice to Management

None

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

There are definitely lots of opportunities to learn and grow one's career here. Thank for taking the time to leave a review.

3. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Very nice team oriented place to work with a great purpose

Cons

pay could be better for bay area

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to share. There's a lot to be proud about at CSAA Insurance Group, including the great people we have here. Thank you for your comments.

4. "Wonderful Place"

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community, good people, lots of learning opportunities, relaxed pace

Cons

Can be boring at times, interns won't like you unless you're a Berkeley student

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for the feedback. We truly have a great group of people that work here.

"Great entry level opportunity, must be self sufficient. Claims Service Specialist (CST)."

Former Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good growth opportunities, friendly environment, does not support micro-management. Decent benefits and PTO.

Cons

Very unprofessional. Supervisors use a lot of profanity in general and don't not know how to remain professional. Very disorganized, management of different teams or departments are not on the same page. Processes for handling situations are not official, and can lead to various opinions on how to handle issues from management. There is no correct way of doing your work by guidelines, everything is opinion based. After the initial training and on-boarding process, you are expected to meet your working goals but the communication of your goals are not presented to you unless you are not maintaining those goals for over a month. Very high turnover ratio due to a combination of internal promotions and quick termination of employees who struggle to keep up. This leads to highly stressful workload that is very hard to maintain. Most of the claims specialists are stressed everyday and hope things get better, but conditions do not improve. Refresher trainings are not offered to those who struggle. The volume of claims is so high that overtime is offered each month so employees can catch up on their claims. The company make frequent changes without any type of transition plan. As an employee, you have to hunt down management for help, as the supervisors are never at their desks. Individual supervisor can't be trusted because they will tell you that they will help you with something and then disappear for hours and never follow up with you. Basically you need to be self sufficient and do not expect help from your superiors. It is a every man for himself environment. If you struggle, you will get thrown under the bus by your supervisor.

Advice to Management

Advice that has been submitted is not reviewed. Management should think they have all the answers.

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

These comments do not reflect who we are as an organization. We are sorry to hear that you felt this way about your experience with us. If you are ever available to do so, we would be happy to... More

"Lost Focus"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None at the moment very disappointed and discouraging.

Cons

The company has lost site of what made it such an awesome company to begin with.

Advice to Management

Remember your values.

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Although we may disagree with much of what is said here, we appreciate you taking the time to share.

"Manager Reviewer CSAAIG"

Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture of deep values, volunteerism, community, wellness, employee resource groups and individual development. Employees are wonderful and caring. Company is doing great. Focus is on the member/customer, which is where it should be. Development opportunities are great - including an award winning Leaders Development Program - and a development marketplace.

Cons

Leadership is going through some growing pains as the attempt to learn a new way to address the disruptions in the marketplace and how to lead through them. There is a tendency to over analyze rather than act, which is being addressed. On-boarding experience is different depending on where you work, so insist on getting as much as you can from your supervisor in your first two weeks. AAA is a confusing entity and it takes some time to learn.

Advice to Management

Act, not everything needs to be perfect. Take feedback, treat it as a gift and act on it. There is a Leaders Development Program - put your people through it because it's great. Don't be afraid to shore up and enforce policy, and be sure to buy into it and walk the walk.

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to share these comments. We greatly appreciate it.

8. "Company Takes Complete of it's Own"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of opportunity to work on projects, you are on the phones most days but they try and give you breaks to be off as much as possible, even that said I love all the people that I work with and the management is fair, they treat all their employees right and always make you feel safe to express is something is wrong and opportunity for bonuses and higher pay every year.

Cons

Taking calls all day can be gruesome, rude customers

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

This is great feedback. Great to hear that things are working out well for you. Thank you for taking the time to share these comments.

"Product Analyst"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with different teams and be creative for your approach to problems.

Cons

There is a heavy focus on reporting.

Dec 6, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share.

"Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Agent in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Agent in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a set schedule, with two days off (except Mondays, as those are the busiest days) - new hires may get a kind of bum shift (11:30-7, for instance) but the office is only open until 7 so you don't work too late. The supervisors I have had were very easy to talk to about interpersonal or professional issues. The training is great and the people who train you are engaging.

You have a ton of resources to answer any questions you have - be it IMing a supervisor directly or accessing the database with a few key words, you have access to a ton of information anytime so you're not waiting for a response. I have almost no issues with anyone on my floor and my immediate coworkers are kind, courteous, and work as a team.

98% of the people I interact with are pleasant, fun, and easy going. Lots of folks willing to help.

VERY diverse and inclusive, LGBT Organization, Latinx Organization, African American Organization. The mark of a good organization is how they encourage and foster a diverse workplace. There is a once or twice yearly Unconscious Bias workshop that comes around that talks about how to ID your own unconscious biases and it very helpful in being mindful.

Exciting personal development programs like Aspiring Leadership Development, ToastMasters, etc are available for you to be a part of, especially if you're looking to improve or brush up on your skills.

They hold Town Halls twice a year to keep you in on the loop of how the company is doing, what major changes are coming, and what that means for us as the employees.

Lots of investment in innovation and practice. Everyone is encouraged to submit an idea for consideration several times a year.

Coaching is a normal part of the experience and supervisors will go over things with you that they notice should be addressed. This allows for you to know exactly what you're doing right and what you should do to improve the other things. They don't leave you in the dark, and are keen to help answer questions.

Merit increases are bomb, great health benefits, and they match your 401K contribution up to 6% (as per my hiring). You may start with a lowish salary but when your review comes up, you have the potential to be making considerably more per year based on your development and drive within the job.

Overall, the workplace culture is really great, and the work/life balance is great too. You aren't expected to take any work home with you and so you can have a life outside of work.

Cons

This is a call center environment - while not a typical call center, you still have to field at least 60-70 calls per day. But don't worry, you're not blocked off from the rest of the floor. There's an open floor plan where everyone can see everyone else. This can be a pro or con depending on your perspective.

When you do get an angry customer, you have to endure a fair amount of verbal abuse before you can voluntarily terminate the call - they have to swear and use vulgar language before you are free to do so.

We are PCI compliant, meaning no cell phones on the floor. Another pro/con depending on your perspective. It's for the security of our customers, but also, you can definitely lose your job for having your phone out in a non-designated area.

I have heard some stories that some of the supervisors on the floor are impossible to work with. Some supervisors will IM you if you're in after-call work for more than 2 minutes, or as soon as you hop into after-call work. This has happened to me on days my supervisor was not in the office.

I don't talk about anything at work that I wouldn't want anybody to know about - I've heard plenty of hot gossip about my coworkers. It spreads like wildfire.

Because CSAA tends to work really well, I think some people feel FOMO when it comes to office drama and they create their own. I don't think that's the fault of the company necessarily, but there are plenty of people who work in the office who are miserable (and make it known) who find a lot to complain about.

Promotions are uneven and distributed at odd intervals or based on inconsistent criteria. The class after mine ended up getting promoted to the next title in the job family while plenty of agents who had been working there 3+ years were still waiting for their promotion. I think this is due in part to there being no set criteria for a promotion to be considered - people who complete continuing education and show an active interest in furthering their career in insurance can be left to wait while someone who hasn't even been there a year moves up the ranks without the same initiative. I've heard the word 'favoritism' thrown around a few times about this issue.

Sometimes the supervisors are unavailable to take a supervisor all and that can get kind of bristly.

Sometimes waiting for an Agent Service representative or other assistant-to-service takes a really long time because of call volume.

Advice to Management

Overall I would say that working for CSAA has been an incredible opportunity and a step into an interesting and exciting career that I didn't ever imagine I'd enjoy so much. I would say that there should be an easily accessible checklist or attack plan for agents and supervisors when moving toward promotion within a job family. I am not aware of anything myself which is why I bring it up. Additionally, while the general pay rate for agents is slightly higher than what is currently considered the average in the industry, living in NJ is extremely expensive and should be factored into salary proposals.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts. We value our diverse work environment as well. Thank you for your feedback.