CSAA Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance: Wellness programs that are actually fun- great classes and super instructors" (in 76 reviews)

• "good benefits, great 401k match, AIP bonus" (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior Management can do a better job so that the low level staff can work more professionally & participate more actively with open doors and windows" (in 38 reviews)

• "Maintaining a work life balance is a constant struggle" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Claims Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Henderson, NV

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely the most ethical company i have ever worked for, super supportive and fun! Very relaxed environment and they work hard to make you feel appreciated, i wouldnt be suprised if i worked here til i retire

Cons

There is a lot of work to do so if you are not ready to put in the work and critically think, dont apply for this job.

Advice to Management

Keep connecting and listening to your employees you do an amazing job.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Glad to hear that you're getting the support you need and having fun! Thank you for your feedback.

2. "Best place I’ve ever worked"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Love the volunteerism and wellness programs. Competitive salaries and and amazing opportunities for professional development if you want to continue to grow professionally. Exciting work underway to support and drive innovation. Love my colleagues- smart, passionate and fun people!

Cons

No place is perfect but this comes closer than anywhere else I’ve worked.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the culture—keeping the many great things and tweaking the areas that are needed as we create an agile, member-centric culture

Feb 13, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

Glad to hear that you are have an great experience. Thank you for the feedback and your contributions.

"Really good place to work and getting even better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at CSAA. There are a lot of smart and respectable people working there. It is a highly collaborative environment where management encourages and empowers the teams to be innovative in achieving the company goals. They challenge the employees to be leaders and think like owners. CSAA values their workforce and customers, as well as gives back to the communities in which they do business. It’s great to see a company that cares about people.

Cons

While overall CSAA has a great culture, it has not spread to all the departments yet.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging all employees to adopt the culture you’re promoting and hire the right people so the culture continues to spread throughout the entire company.

Feb 13, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

Great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share.

4. "Can make a difference"

Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a company that is not overwhelmingly large. You won't get lost in the masses if you choose to make yourself visible. You can make a difference through your own efforts that is visible at the division level and in circumstances at the enterprise level as well.

Cons

Three Main Observations:

1)There are occasions where it would seem that at senior most executive executive ranks individual agendas deviate from the greater good of the company. It also seems that when this occurs it often doesn't seem to be addressed directly amongst the executives in as timely a manner as it could.
    2) The quality of communications up and down two levels of the hierarchy seems to be quite attenuated in parts of the enterprise. By this I mean from you to your boss's boss (and further). This results in uneven communications.
    3) It appears that there is some lack in training consistently of front line and 2nd level managers. The human capital management skills manifested seem to be widely varying

Advice to Management

From senior most executives down through mid-level management at the division level need to spend a greater proportion of their time leading and coaching their subordinates. This seems to be a bit of a deficit. It may mean that they have less bandwidth to address 'tasks', but there is a need to get better at cultivating human capital on a personal, one-to-one basis. Do not assume that leadership programs fill this gap. Recognize that "a core function of a leader is to grow their people". I would add one more word to that phrase "personally".

Feb 13, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your feedback. Greatly appreciated.

5. "They are always on your side!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They encourage you to work you way up the ladder

Cons

The computer systems they use are terrible and can sometimes get in the way of completing transactions efficiently with the insured.

"Subrogation Specialist"

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Good pay. Ok benefits. Friendly co workers. Volunteer days and some committees try to make the workplace more “fun”.

Cons

Expect huge workload. Way more than 1 person can do. Stress. Stress. Stress. Expect to do the job of a claims adjuster too because you’ll be finishing up their work on claims. Feel unheard by management. Feel like management doesn’t care that they overwork their people. Pretty high turn around.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns and do something about them.

Feb 13, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

We are disappointed to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. That's not what we want for anyone here. Happy to re-connect to discuss your concerns.

"Great Brand. Needs new mid-level Leadership"

Former Employee - Field Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Field Sales Consultant

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great brand to be associated with. AAA insurance has a lot to offer the communities. Great benefits, Great Auto history.

Cons

The people have changed so much in the past 5 years. Its tough to keep up with the many changing departments and focus of this company. Many employees are only out for themselves, since everyone is at risk for losing their job thru the annual lay-offs. Culture needs to shift with the new focus'.

Advice to Management

Find Leadership that cares about their employees and stay with them! Develop their strengths. The turnover is killing the company. The amount of rumors, gossip and back-stabbing is horrific. It's tough for an employee to know where loyalty lies.

Jan 28, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience. This doesn't accurately reflect who we are as a company. If you are ever available to chat, we would be happy to connect to discuss your concerns.

"Honest Review of a Miserable Company"

Current Employee - Claim Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Claim Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I want to share all the facts about this company. The only reason I gave a second star is because I enjoy my coworkers who are the lone bright spot. With that said, the pay is ok but not worth the stress. The benefits are ok, but some take a little while before they kick in.

Cons

I want to try an be professional but there’s so much negativity I can honestly share. The conversation between the recruiter and the actual job isn’t accurate, what she tells you and what you really have to deal with are fabricated. I know they try to sell you opportunities but she was wrong. Your leadership team won’t give you a 100%, they aren’t professional and will talk behind your back. From the top down there are so many examples I could share about this toxic environment. You can’t go to anyone because it won’t matter and you’ll probably get let go for some ridiculous reason. The amount of work is far too much to handle, no matter how hard you try. Ask for help? No, leaders don’t do much and don’t care. Save yourself some time, even if it pays a little less look at the other insurance companies and save yourself anguish!

Advice to Management

Start fresh in this company, the recruiter will sell you bull, which she has to. The leadership team will not help and have little to no empathy. There’s no one you can talk to at that site, they’re somewhere else. You list a great company but you aren’t.

Jan 22, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

This is not who we are. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way about your experience with us. If you are ever available to do so, HR would be happy to connect to learn more.

"What's not to love ? Great company. Great brand. Great corporate citizen."

Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What's not to love ?

Great benefits:

** 24 hours or more of Paid Time Off Work to Volunteer at places like Grand Canyon and Yosemite National Parks.
    ** Wellness Program aligned with Financial Incentives
    ** Matching Gift Program - Dollar for Dollar
    ** 401k (with Roth 401k option) with a 6% salary match
    ** Free, secure, covered Parking
    ** Dollars for Doers - Volunteer 30 or 60 hours / earn $300 or $600 to go to charity of your choice
    ** Modern office space - very comfortable work environment
    ** 27 days of Paid Time Off for Vacation for long-time employees
    ** Flexible work hours / work arrangements

Cons

Not sure how the medical program works. I have medical. But have not used in over 5 years. (I got financially burned having to pay thousands of dollars for authorized preventative services 5 years ago.)

Advice to Management

It is an honor to work for CSAA Insurance Group. Great company. Great brand. Great corporate citizen.

Jan 2, 2019 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thanks to the volunteer benefits we provide, we were able to accomplish a 100% participation rate in volunteering through-out our employee population last year. That's just one of the many wins to be... More

10. "Great company, successful year by year"

Current Employee - Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay. Decent Benefits.

Cons

None listed at the moment.

Advice to Management

Minimize layoffs, this company appears to be meeting its goals year by year financially but yet has the need to layoff talented sr level employees.