CSAA Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance: Wellness programs that are actually fun- great classes and super instructors" (in 76 reviews)

• "good benefits, great 401k match, AIP bonus" (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too much turn over in senior management (most are external hires who are only interested in short term goals and then move on)" (in 38 reviews)

• "Maintaining a work life balance is a constant struggle" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You - Really - Can Follow Your Dreams: Leverage, Expand, and Apply Your Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities"

Current Employee - Leadership Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Leadership Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no reasons or excuses not to proactively contribute to a culture of performance at our company. We are encouraged to apply ourselves for personal and professional growth - with a clear focus on values and favorable impact on the experiences of our customers/members. Adaptability, flexibility, and balance is cultivated and supported for us to be the company our customers/members continually need now and into the future. We say it, and we create the space and focus to do and be just that.

Cons

In ever-changing/evolving expectations of customers/members in a technology-filled and enhanced world, our focus on ensuring a dynamic culture feels and seems just right.

Advice to Management

Balancing the need for speed and agility, we need to continue recognizing the value/power of employees and ensure sensible/effective/sustainable approaches are in place for them to thrive, and thereby our company to thrive in service of our customers/members and employees.

Dec 26, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your review and feedback!

2. "Company Takes Complete of it's Own"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of opportunity to work on projects, you are on the phones most days but they try and give you breaks to be off as much as possible, even that said I love all the people that I work with and the management is fair, they treat all their employees right and always make you feel safe to express is something is wrong and opportunity for bonuses and higher pay every year.

Cons

Taking calls all day can be gruesome, rude customers

"Manager Reviewer CSAAIG"

Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture of deep values, volunteerism, community, wellness, employee resource groups and individual development. Employees are wonderful and caring. Company is doing great. Focus is on the member/customer, which is where it should be. Development opportunities are great - including an award winning Leaders Development Program - and a development marketplace.

Cons

Leadership is going through some growing pains as the attempt to learn a new way to address the disruptions in the marketplace and how to lead through them. There is a tendency to over analyze rather than act, which is being addressed. On-boarding experience is different depending on where you work, so insist on getting as much as you can from your supervisor in your first two weeks. AAA is a confusing entity and it takes some time to learn.

Advice to Management

Act, not everything needs to be perfect. Take feedback, treat it as a gift and act on it. There is a Leaders Development Program - put your people through it because it's great. Don't be afraid to shore up and enforce policy, and be sure to buy into it and walk the walk.

"Product Analyst"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with different teams and be creative for your approach to problems.

Cons

There is a heavy focus on reporting.

"Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Agent in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Agent in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a set schedule, with two days off (except Mondays, as those are the busiest days) - new hires may get a kind of bum shift (11:30-7, for instance) but the office is only open until 7 so you don't work too late. The supervisors I have had were very easy to talk to about interpersonal or professional issues. The training is great and the people who train you are engaging.

You have a ton of resources to answer any questions you have - be it IMing a supervisor directly or accessing the database with a few key words, you have access to a ton of information anytime so you're not waiting for a response. I have almost no issues with anyone on my floor and my immediate coworkers are kind, courteous, and work as a team.

98% of the people I interact with are pleasant, fun, and easy going. Lots of folks willing to help.

VERY diverse and inclusive, LGBT Organization, Latinx Organization, African American Organization. The mark of a good organization is how they encourage and foster a diverse workplace. There is a once or twice yearly Unconscious Bias workshop that comes around that talks about how to ID your own unconscious biases and it very helpful in being mindful.

Exciting personal development programs like Aspiring Leadership Development, ToastMasters, etc are available for you to be a part of, especially if you're looking to improve or brush up on your skills.

They hold Town Halls twice a year to keep you in on the loop of how the company is doing, what major changes are coming, and what that means for us as the employees.

Lots of investment in innovation and practice. Everyone is encouraged to submit an idea for consideration several times a year.

Coaching is a normal part of the experience and supervisors will go over things with you that they notice should be addressed. This allows for you to know exactly what you're doing right and what you should do to improve the other things. They don't leave you in the dark, and are keen to help answer questions.

Merit increases are bomb, great health benefits, and they match your 401K contribution up to 6% (as per my hiring). You may start with a lowish salary but when your review comes up, you have the potential to be making considerably more per year based on your development and drive within the job.

Overall, the workplace culture is really great, and the work/life balance is great too. You aren't expected to take any work home with you and so you can have a life outside of work.

Cons

This is a call center environment - while not a typical call center, you still have to field at least 60-70 calls per day. But don't worry, you're not blocked off from the rest of the floor. There's an open floor plan where everyone can see everyone else. This can be a pro or con depending on your perspective.

When you do get an angry customer, you have to endure a fair amount of verbal abuse before you can voluntarily terminate the call - they have to swear and use vulgar language before you are free to do so.

We are PCI compliant, meaning no cell phones on the floor. Another pro/con depending on your perspective. It's for the security of our customers, but also, you can definitely lose your job for having your phone out in a non-designated area.

I have heard some stories that some of the supervisors on the floor are impossible to work with. Some supervisors will IM you if you're in after-call work for more than 2 minutes, or as soon as you hop into after-call work. This has happened to me on days my supervisor was not in the office.

I don't talk about anything at work that I wouldn't want anybody to know about - I've heard plenty of hot gossip about my coworkers. It spreads like wildfire.

Because CSAA tends to work really well, I think some people feel FOMO when it comes to office drama and they create their own. I don't think that's the fault of the company necessarily, but there are plenty of people who work in the office who are miserable (and make it known) who find a lot to complain about.

Promotions are uneven and distributed at odd intervals or based on inconsistent criteria. The class after mine ended up getting promoted to the next title in the job family while plenty of agents who had been working there 3+ years were still waiting for their promotion. I think this is due in part to there being no set criteria for a promotion to be considered - people who complete continuing education and show an active interest in furthering their career in insurance can be left to wait while someone who hasn't even been there a year moves up the ranks without the same initiative. I've heard the word 'favoritism' thrown around a few times about this issue.

Sometimes the supervisors are unavailable to take a supervisor all and that can get kind of bristly.

Sometimes waiting for an Agent Service representative or other assistant-to-service takes a really long time because of call volume.

Advice to Management

Overall I would say that working for CSAA has been an incredible opportunity and a step into an interesting and exciting career that I didn't ever imagine I'd enjoy so much. I would say that there should be an easily accessible checklist or attack plan for agents and supervisors when moving toward promotion within a job family. I am not aware of anything myself which is why I bring it up. Additionally, while the general pay rate for agents is slightly higher than what is currently considered the average in the industry, living in NJ is extremely expensive and should be factored into salary proposals.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts. We value our diverse work environment as well. Thank you for your feedback.

"Claims Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Henderson, NV

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely the most ethical company i have ever worked for, super supportive and fun! Very relaxed environment and they work hard to make you feel appreciated, i wouldnt be suprised if i worked here til i retire

Cons

There is a lot of work to do so if you are not ready to put in the work and critically think, dont apply for this job.

Advice to Management

Keep connecting and listening to your employees you do an amazing job.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Glad to hear that you're getting the support you need and having fun! Thank you for your feedback.

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engaged leadership. Plenty of opportunities to grow in the company and find what interests you.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Agreed. There are plenty of opportunities to grow here. Thank you for your comments.

"Lower pay, nice people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people
    Good facility
    Good brand name
    Internal hiring
    Growth opportunities

Cons

Corporate management
    Overwhelming work load
    High, high, high turnover
    Ridiculous attendance policy
    Understaffed
    Did I say high turnover?
    Pay
    High insurance deductible-healthcare
    Unrealistic responsibilities placed on hourly employees
    You are forced to work overtime to maintain work load, to stay caught up and keep the job, but overtime is not always given.
    Every few years one part of the company gets restructured and every department is affected

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more to stay competitive

9. "Business Systems Analyst Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company culture and work-life balance.

Cons

Very isolated and highly political place to work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find a way to be more transparent and find ways to engage employees.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Reputation Consultant

Our great company culture is made possible by our great employees. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

"Unmanageable and unreasonable workload"

Pros

Good benefits, inclusive culture and worksite wellness activities

Cons

Employee morale very low due to unreasonable workload