CSAA Insurance Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • A high-performance culture that simultaneously respects work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Very competitive pay, good benefits (although like at most companies, rising cost of benefits to employees) (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management really push the AAA values but do not lead by example (in 37 reviews)

• lower management does not know what is going on and neither does upper management half the time (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love coming to work every day!"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits! We care about wellness and the environment. Volunteerism is huge and it's encouraged. We are moving towards a culture of innovation. The company's growth strategy is working.

Cons

A bit bureaucratic when it come to working with other teams. We can use more teamwork and collaboration and constantly look for way to be more collaborative. Communication is key. Each person has a role and a responsibility to contribute and make any situation better.

Advice to Management

Make it easy! Simple, proactive, and personal is our motto after all. We should do more of that internally too. Instead of fighting back, let's find solutions together. Innovation can only happen if we are united and work towards the same goal.

Aug 23, 2016 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for sharing!

2. "Best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with many talented colleagues and am always learning from my boss and others. There are great professional development opportunities and we are always encouraged to try new ideas. The benefits are excellent including a 6% 401k match. The company is also strongly engaged in the community- from an amazing volunteerism program and matching donations to charities to a focus on sustainability. They also just made huge investments in technology and tools to better serve customers and enable employees.

Cons

The business model and restrictions on marketing within club boundaries need to change. And club consolidations are a step in the right direction!

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on innovation and supporting employees as we embark on the next chapter of the company.

May 26, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your comments!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the company culture and commitment to giving back to the communities. A Company that not only says all the right things but, more importantly, actually believes in and does the right things (truly walks the walk). Solid strategic plans, leadership teams and experienced caring front-line folks.

Cons

Tools are improving, which results in efficiency gains; haven't yet reached optimization.

Advice to Management

Continue to live the Company vision and values!

May 4, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for sharing!

"Toxic, Dysfunctional and Politically Riddled"

Former Employee - Senior Category Specialist in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Category Specialist in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. pension plan, 401(k), true wellness program, on-site subsidized cafeteria, well-paid health care.

Cons

Good ol boy network, sexist, racist, designed to keep people of all backgrounds down. Swept the sourcing group clean three years ago and now is full of tyrants and paranoia.

Advice to Management

no advice for management except to replace them. I left because I was told there was no room for advancement and though I made a mid-range salary, no room for salary increases.

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cons

Too much work and not enough time

May 5, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

We appreciate you taking the time to share.

"Stay away!"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Work/Life Balance is ok.

Cons

• Lack of transparency from leadership (CEO, VPs, managers, etc.)
    • Very unsupportive manager, lacks strategy skills, people skills, and has no clue what's going on. (Don't know how this person became a senior manager)
    • Manager only points out the negatives. "HORRIBLE" (in Donald trump voice)
    • No trust within company
    • If something goes wrong, you get blamed.
    • No Innovation, everything you create dies, and never ever ever gets launched.
    • Reverse franchise model, where the partner clubs dictate what you can do or can't do.
    • If you can handled being treated poorly by team members, talked down to, or want to be yelled at in a rude manner, then work here.
    • Horrible food in the cafeteria, it's like eating out of a dumpster. Where do they find these horrible chefs??
    • Poor pay, low balling, compared to other companies in the Bay Area for similar position.

Advice to Management

Have a strategy for the business, and innovate. Learn how to create a better culture. More transparency from leadership. Be more open about company roadmap.

"HR"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people do not put in 8 hrs a day

Cons

No strategic direction, mgmt goes to great lengths to establish and maintain silos

Advice to Management

Re-establish ethical behavior from senior mgmt, put value on your existing employees

9. "Bodily Injury Field Claims Specialist"

Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent case file management, personal and corporate experience

Cons

The salary made it fiscally unsound to stay. Putting two small children in day care in San Francisco would have cost more than my salary.

Advice to Management

Keep high functioning adjusters exempt employees. Make quality employees want to stay

Mar 10, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your feedback.

"IT"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for a great Manager.

Cons

The IT department does not care about quality since their bonus structure is based on delivery. As a result, there is lots of frustration by the Business and lots of re-work by IT development teams. Eventually, the money is going to run out.\ and/or the talented folks just bail due to pure frustration.

Advice to Management

Don't just believe IT that they have delivered on the capability because their powerpoint says so. After projects there should be an independent evaluation of the IT project (by someone outside of IT) to confirm the capability has been delivered.

Mar 9, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Although we don't agree with everything posted here, we appreciate your feedback.

11. "Could be better"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous 401k match, excellent work/life balance and telecommuting options. Middle management will definitely look out for their teams. Most of the employees are extremely friendly with each other.

Cons

Senior management is constantly changing objectives, which makes it hard to know what we're supposed to do. Not a lot of great options for eating near the office. The open floor plan can make it difficult to concentrate depending on where you are sitting.

Advice to Management

I would say to management that it's time to be more aggressive with marketing and look for growth opportunities within the core territory. Also, you don't have to do a re-org every time someone new comes on to senior management.

Mar 3, 2017 – Social Reputation Consultant

Thank you for your perspective.