CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Feb 1, 2018

3.6
CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer President and CEO Thomas M. Troy
Thomas M. Troy
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior Management can do a better job so that the low level staff can work more professionally & participate more actively with open doors and windows(in 38 reviews)

• "The upper management did not have my back(in 32 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company! Great Culture & Great Ethics!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with CSAA insurance exchange is a blessing. The ethics and the way the employees are treated is just incredible. The amount of money or time they spend for the society is amazing.

Cons

Senior Management can do a better job so that the low level staff can work more professionally & participate more actively with open doors and windows.

Advice to Management

Train the Managers to to have their teams to work with other teams in a friendly & cooperative way instead of working in silos. This will be a great benefit to bring a positive vibe in the company and great increase in the productivity.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2018-01-09

"Claims Supervisor"

Current Employee - Claims Supervisor

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of room for advancement if you are willing to put in the effort. Days go by quickly and the work is rewarding. Continual feedback on job performance. Great bonuses if you produce.

Cons

Too much turn over in senior management (most are external hires who are only interested in short term goals and then move on). Way too much change - pendulum swings rapidly in a knee-jerk reaction, not a balanced approach, so it is difficult to know from day to day where one’s focus should be (very reactive approach). Benefits for tenured employees have decreased this year - reduced PTO, reduced PTO cap -all under the veil of being competitive, while Sr Management (the 1%) maintains all their benefits and perks.

Advice to Management

Sr Mgt is out of touch with the front line in the Centers - their annual “dog and pony” visit once a year comes across as more box-checking than truly trying to gauge the pulse of those doing the heavy lifting in the Centers. Also, there are way too many process managers and consultants that weigh down progress and innovation rather than encourage it. Empower those in the Centers who know the business best to make decisions that will affect the success of the company.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2018-02-02
  3. "Could be better"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous 401k match, excellent work/life balance and telecommuting options. Middle management will definitely look out for their teams. Most of the employees are extremely friendly with each other.

Cons

Senior management is constantly changing objectives, which makes it hard to know what we're supposed to do. Not a lot of great options for eating near the office. The open floor plan can make it difficult to concentrate depending on where you are sitting.

Advice to Management

I would say to management that it's time to be more aggressive with marketing and look for growth opportunities within the core territory. Also, you don't have to do a re-org every time someone new comes on to senior management.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2017-02-28

"CSAA"

Pros

Good salary, good budget, good people

Cons

Bad process, bad change management, bad senior management

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2015-06-26

"Surviving or Thriving in the Insurance Industry?"

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time

Pros

Good hard working employees who, despite the lack of technological resources, still achieve their goals. The company has a great wellness program and gets involved in some great community events.

Cons

Senior management really push the AAA values but do not lead by example. Senior management has a bad habit of practicing fake collaboration where they claim you are involved in the process but ignore the input anyway. Continue to pay consultants rather than listening to the employees to solve problems. They underpay certain high skilled employees and then try use year-end bonuses to make up the shortfall to the detriment of others in the department. How do you achieve all your goals and yet still get less than 100% of your bonus percentage? The annual engagement survey is a joke, with senior management sending daily emails to complete them and employees then not answering truthfully to avoid all the work that follows when the negative results come out. How does the BOD and C-Suite justify the ridiculously high bonuses that get paid to senior executives when the company cannot run under a 100% combined ratio? The main problem lies in the expense ratio which is far higher than the company's peer group. Moving your expenses to a services company to bring down the combined ratio is not the solution as it merely distorts the results, rather focusing on reducing the expenses. I got tired of hearing about the CFO talking about his sports cars, gambling in Las Vegas and continuously quoting lines from popular movies. I can also advise you to never challenge certain executives in the game 'Bejeweled' as they are often seen on their company iPads playing against each other.

Advice to Management

Live the values that you preach and try abiding by all the compliance that you enforce. C-suite and VPs continue to be above the rules by accepting gifts, accommodation and entertainment from business partners well in excess of the limits set. Senior executives should focus on working together and not against each other trying to gain favor with the CEO and CFO. Senior Management should stop making the CEO out to be the Big Bad Wolf and assume responsibility for their own departments.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2015-02-02

"Great brand but still needs to figure out how to operate like a financial services company."

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time

Pros

Good volunteering program. I made a lot of good friends while I was there, although many have now also left the company. I personally liked the CEO and certain BOD members. I did not like the fact that senior management made such derogatory comments behind the CEOs back.

Cons

Certain VPs have the 'dog of the king thinks he's the king' mentality. Senior management are not held accountable for high staff turnover ratios. A VP in the CFO division lost more than 25% of his department in one year. Surely that raises a red flag as to his/her lack of leadership. I agree with other comments made and think many of the senior management do dislike each other and on many occasions for good reason.

Advice to Management

It's time for BIG change. You have a great brand but have lost your edge in the insurance industry. The in fighting within the AAA Federation needs to stop. It's time to clean house and put more focus on the clubs that have been so loyal to you. In order to compete in the industry, you need to bring the expenses under control.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2015-02-01

"Good culture and people, but lack of stability troubling"

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked here for over 3 years, and in general, the people are very nice to work with. Everyone is knowledgeable, and is always willing to lend a hand to help out. This contributes to an overall great work environment where people are respectful. Over time, people who demonstrate consistent ability to work effectively and efficiently get deserved promotions, and if you are passionate about your craft you will be rewarded. There are also multiple internal career opportunities within the company, and the benefits & bonuses are above average.

Cons

The company recently expanded its regional presence to be countrywide. As a result, senior management is still learning to structure its operations; there was at least 1 MAJOR structural re-organization PER YEAR within my department and a few times on the C-level as well. Also, the turnover is extremely high for an insurance company. This, compounded with the many different layers of the business model, delays decision-making, and ultimately slows productivity. Timelines & goals are even set with the expectation that they will not be met. Lastly, the distribution of work across departments can be extremely uneven. They are still figuring out how to distribute work, and it's likely that some teams will work 60+ hours consistently for several months while other teams in the same department/division work less than 40.

Advice to Management

Please keep the company culture and values, but place greater emphasis on employees. Most importantly, decide upon a corporate structure and stay with it for the near future so the company can maintain stability and continuity.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2014-12-23
  8. "It like the tower or terror at California Adventure at Disneyland."

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time

Pros

Middle management is reliable, caring, and optimistic. They do their best to train and development talent. There are lots of promises about the changes that are coming to help us become insurance professionals. Some days it feels like the top floor is achievable.

Cons

Senior management is disconnected from the reality of how renewal issues and billing issues are destroying member confidence and patience. Sometimes the issue is just not fixable to the member's satisfaction. A single member complaint whether valid or not can lead to a warning or a termination. Everyone is walking on eggshells. You never know if your next 1 on 1 will be a coaching meeting or a good-bye meeting. That is when it feels like a free fall.

Advice to Management

Treat us like you have trust and confidence in our ability to do the job. If you want us to make decisions, then you need to support us. If we truly are your most important asset, why do we feel so disposable? Make sure that we have the support of other departments. We need to get rid of hostility. If one of our values is collaboration. let's start practicing it

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2013-12-24

"Top heavy"

Current Employee - Physical Damage Appriaser in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits and the people are great

Cons

Management plays favoritism and Senior Management is constantly trying to fix things that are not broken. Heavy duty workloads!

Advice to Management

Too much work for anyone person to handle. Your expectations are way too high and you should start listening to your front line supervisors and employees.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2012-11-03

"Old AAA: Vision & Values. New AAA: Fear and panic."

in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer

Pros

Good salary and work-life balance. Really nice headquarters, free parking and great cafeteria (I'm serious!). AAA does amazing things for the community, particularly its volunteer program. People are generally nice enough, though executives are cutthroat. AAA's mission of protecting members through insurance and roadside service is a noble one, but the downsides of a career here (keep reading) are many.

Cons

As much as this company espouses a flat organization and lack of hierarchy, they're fooling themselves. However, the biggest con is just the sheer number of layoffs in the past three years. The headquarters has literally been gutted of its best employees, some of whom had years of knowledge and experience. For those (lucky?) enough to still be working for AAA, there's a genuine everyday fear of how much longer they'll have a job. Walking the floors of the headquarters is like being at a funeral procession. Nobody dares to crack a smile. Let's face it: AAA is a brand grasping for air as competitors make them irrelevant in so many areas, especially technology and roadside service. The culture, which at one time stressed AAA's "Vision & Values," has been abandoned and is now a workplace of fear and panic as even an offhand comment from a senior executive leads to scrambling by middle management. Sadly, there's an utter lack of trust in senior management, both the club and the insurance company (they split into two companies in 2011). Finally, I voluntarily left, so I'm not disgruntled. I'm just merely able to assess working at AAA much more clearly now that I no longer work there. I genuinely feel sorry for those still there.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can offer that will help this situation.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2011-06-29