CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 8, 2020

3.6
CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer President and CEO Thomas M. Troy
Thomas M. Troy
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior Management can do a better job so that the low level staff can work more professionally & participate more actively with open doors and windows(in 38 reviews)

• "The upper management did not have my back(in 32 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company and Working Environment"

Current Employee - Finance in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having worked at CSAA Insurance Group for more than ten years, I really appreciate how much the company focuses on employee wellness and work-life balance. Onsite fitness classes, wellness benefits, volunteer opportunities and ongoing diversity events are just some of the great things the company does. The people here are also very supportive and caring. CSAA Insurance Group has really created a wonderful working environment. Highly recommend this company!

Cons

Not a con. Company adjusting to having a new CEO who just joined the company last year. In terms of career advancement, may have to investigate your specific job further in order to determine the opportunities available to you.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2020-01-08

"LOTS of change"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture is truly one of the best I've worked under. Employees are treated exceptionally well, even when there are difficult decisions that must be made. Work/life balance is really good and there are opportunities to work remotely in certain positions. Support from HR is excellent. Benefits are pretty good. The focus is 100% on our insureds and how each employee can support that focus. Diversity and inclusion are very much apparent. I love my job, the people I work with, and the opportunity to make a difference!

Cons

The company is transforming and there is a lot of change happening. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind if you are the type of person who doesn't like change. There was a recent layoff in IT as the result of completion of transformational work. There are so many new and exiting opportunities if you are willing to be part of an innovative and ever changing team.

Advice to Management

Always be fully transparent and keep the communication flowing!

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2019-11-11
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Good job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, NJ

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, pay not too bad

Cons

Not much Work life balance

Advice to Management

I have none my sup was great

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2019-09-11

"Good company however not a lot of room for advancement or promotion"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people, reasonable work-life balance, interesting work

Cons

Not a lot of room for promotion or advancement

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2019-05-07

"Great place to work..."

Former Employee - IT Security Administrator in Glendale, AZ

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and bonus structure. Awesome work life balance.

Cons

Poor upper management. Constant turnover and no direction.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2019-04-05
  7. "Hamilton CSAA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Great place to work. While its a large company the Hamilton site operates as a family. They really work with everyone for work/life balance

Cons

Wish it was more accessible to public transportation

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2019-03-05

"Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Agent in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a set schedule, with two days off (except Mondays, as those are the busiest days) - new hires may get a kind of bum shift (11:30-7, for instance) but the office is only open until 7 so you don't work too late. The supervisors I have had were very easy to talk to about interpersonal or professional issues. The training is great and the people who train you are engaging. You have a ton of resources to answer any questions you have - be it IMing a supervisor directly or accessing the database with a few key words, you have access to a ton of information anytime so you're not waiting for a response. I have almost no issues with anyone on my floor and my immediate coworkers are kind, courteous, and work as a team. 98% of the people I interact with are pleasant, fun, and easy going. Lots of folks willing to help. VERY diverse and inclusive, LGBT Organization, Latinx Organization, African American Organization. The mark of a good organization is how they encourage and foster a diverse workplace. There is a once or twice yearly Unconscious Bias workshop that comes around that talks about how to ID your own unconscious biases and it very helpful in being mindful. Exciting personal development programs like Aspiring Leadership Development, ToastMasters, etc are available for you to be a part of, especially if you're looking to improve or brush up on your skills. They hold Town Halls twice a year to keep you in on the loop of how the company is doing, what major changes are coming, and what that means for us as the employees. Lots of investment in innovation and practice. Everyone is encouraged to submit an idea for consideration several times a year. Coaching is a normal part of the experience and supervisors will go over things with you that they notice should be addressed. This allows for you to know exactly what you're doing right and what you should do to improve the other things. They don't leave you in the dark, and are keen to help answer questions. Merit increases are bomb, great health benefits, and they match your 401K contribution up to 6% (as per my hiring). You may start with a lowish salary but when your review comes up, you have the potential to be making considerably more per year based on your development and drive within the job. Overall, the workplace culture is really great, and the work/life balance is great too. You aren't expected to take any work home with you and so you can have a life outside of work.

Cons

This is a call center environment - while not a typical call center, you still have to field at least 60-70 calls per day. But don't worry, you're not blocked off from the rest of the floor. There's an open floor plan where everyone can see everyone else. This can be a pro or con depending on your perspective. When you do get an angry customer, you have to endure a fair amount of verbal abuse before you can voluntarily terminate the call - they have to swear and use vulgar language before you are free to do so. We are PCI compliant, meaning no cell phones on the floor. Another pro/con depending on your perspective. It's for the security of our customers, but also, you can definitely lose your job for having your phone out in a non-designated area. I have heard some stories that some of the supervisors on the floor are impossible to work with. Some supervisors will IM you if you're in after-call work for more than 2 minutes, or as soon as you hop into after-call work. This has happened to me on days my supervisor was not in the office. I don't talk about anything at work that I wouldn't want anybody to know about - I've heard plenty of hot gossip about my coworkers. It spreads like wildfire. Because CSAA tends to work really well, I think some people feel FOMO when it comes to office drama and they create their own. I don't think that's the fault of the company necessarily, but there are plenty of people who work in the office who are miserable (and make it known) who find a lot to complain about. Promotions are uneven and distributed at odd intervals or based on inconsistent criteria. The class after mine ended up getting promoted to the next title in the job family while plenty of agents who had been working there 3+ years were still waiting for their promotion. I think this is due in part to there being no set criteria for a promotion to be considered - people who complete continuing education and show an active interest in furthering their career in insurance can be left to wait while someone who hasn't even been there a year moves up the ranks without the same initiative. I've heard the word 'favoritism' thrown around a few times about this issue. Sometimes the supervisors are unavailable to take a supervisor all and that can get kind of bristly. Sometimes waiting for an Agent Service representative or other assistant-to-service takes a really long time because of call volume.

Advice to Management

Overall I would say that working for CSAA has been an incredible opportunity and a step into an interesting and exciting career that I didn't ever imagine I'd enjoy so much. I would say that there should be an easily accessible checklist or attack plan for agents and supervisors when moving toward promotion within a job family. I am not aware of anything myself which is why I bring it up. Additionally, while the general pay rate for agents is slightly higher than what is currently considered the average in the industry, living in NJ is extremely expensive and should be factored into salary proposals.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2018-10-04
  9. "Best company I’ve ever worked for"

Current Intern - Professional in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer for more than 3 years

Pros

The caring/genuine and enthusiastic people at all levels, diverse/inclusive core values, development opportunities (from temp to rotational assignments in any area), community service opportunities, wellness is encouraged, some flexibility in work schedule and support of work-life balance. Good pay and OK benefits (great HR team).

Cons

Tendency for certain key groups to silo and not freely share information (not helped by the way goals are set and pursued) though company leaders are becoming more aware of this and starting to commit to change. Also the IT organization must streamline and become more efficient — we are way too behind in digital space. Hoping new top leadership will fix that quickly.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees see that you yourself are demonstrating the key behaviors you’re asking of them to drive success. Be vulnerable and tell them what you yourself are working on to develop yourself. Require and expect nothing less than open and free — even proactive — info and knowledge sharing! Change the way you create your team’s goals so that these things are built in and incentivized.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2018-10-13
  10. "Business Systems Analyst Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Great company culture and work-life balance.

Cons

Very isolated and highly political place to work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find a way to be more transparent and find ways to engage employees.

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2018-09-28

"Product Manager"

Former Contractor - Product Manager in Glendale, AZ

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance. With all the blown deadlines around the place, there is no need to put in extra effort ever.

Cons

Politics, technical ineptitude is widespread, incompetent managers

Advice to Management

Look at what you are getting from offshoring and ask yourself if the labor savings are worth it

CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer2018-09-21