CSC Reviews in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

CSC President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging during difficult projects (in 130 reviews)

• Senior management does not care at all about employees (in 145 reviews)

1. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at CSC (More than 3 years)

Pros

CSC takes care of its customers and is continuously striving to improve. It is a very positive environment with great co-workers, benefits and compensation, but best of all is the continual investment in the growth of their employees.

Cons

More could be done on work/life balance

2. "Business Amalyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Opportunities for career growth of willing to travel

Cons

High turnover, middle management lacked leadership skills

Advice to Management

Invest in performance management training rather than relying on yearly appraisals to evaluate performance.

3. "Service Delivery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Growth was always there. People were great and pay was good

Cons

Management sometimes forgot about their people.

"Experience will vary based on managment or project, large corporation feel"

Current Employee - Network Associate Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Network Associate Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teams generally work well together and achieve impressive results for the clients, opportunities for growth or change and arise on same project or within the company due to size, nice educational reimbursement policy.

Cons

Dependency on direct management initiatives / efforts for grown possibilities, lower compensation than other competitors for position and duties, employees on client-facing programs can feel detached or slighted by corporate decisions that affect all.

Advice to Management

If employees are truly the most valuable asset as advertised by management, work towards a culture of making employees feel valued more-so than public shareholders.

"Rating of CSC"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst Senior Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst Senior Professional in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The CSC employees I work with are bright and motivated, and really seem to care about doing a good job.

Cons

The Etes app (online app to enter timesheets) needs some work.
    At my level I saw no positive impact of their vertical and horizontal restructuring undertaken last year. In fact I never did find out who the person is that is supposed to help find another project to work on when my current one ends.

"As if it can't get worse after onboarding..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Due to the size of the company (about 87,000 employees), I've had the opportunity to work with a variety of clients.

Cons

Declining benefits packages, constant contradiction between policy and practice, very frustrating from day to day. They make even the simple things difficult. It took them several months to pay my expense reports! Mediocrity is rewarded. The company doesn't try to preserve long-term relationships with customers, which puts the consultants in a very difficult position. Lots of uncertainty about the future of the company. People are jumping ship every day.

Advice to Management

The "bell curve" was the beginning of the end. you can't have your cake and eat it too.

7. "Burnout Factory"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of training with internal self-paced and instructor-led classes.

Cons

Morale is at an all-time low since 1997 when I started. Layoffs come in waves every few months and everyone is terrified.

Advice to Management

Slow down the "transformation train" for a few minutes to invest in the people who have been moving mountains to accomplish so much work in so little time. Salaries are embarrassingly low.

"Their Management "Trends" -- the rest of IT has already shown they stunt growth"

Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the public sector not any pros I can think of. . . . we lost the last of them this year.

Cons

Instead of valuing their employees they are alienating them. Over 5 years they have become the worst employer I've ever worked for in my 13 years of IT employment. CSC used to be a proud name and one I was glad to be associated with. Instead under Mike Lawrie's direction, corporate wants us workers to suck it up and do more while he gets ready to retire with billions. The work load is more but the morale is in the gutter. Why are we bearing the failures of management on our backs? We're the ones who actually do the work! Google and Apple now offering egg preservation to their female employees? Ha! CSC's new benefit year is making it even less attractive to work here - no raises this year but of course the costs are going up 25-30% and the coverage is less.

There is very little accountability. The new management structure puts people under a "people manager" not involved in or knowledgeable of our daily work, and our program managers are business people focused on client relations but with little background in our technical field. Frustrating and inefficient. A lot of wheel spinning 'cause no one is really in charge. People get hired by managers who don't know how to assess technical skills. Drains the life right out of your ambitions to do a great job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your rank and file: the people who used to be proud to carry your name. Loyalty should matter to my upper management and company executives, but apparently now they could care less. I am used to working hard with dedication and want to be proud of my employer.

You've lost my loyalty, and I am no longer such a dedicated employee. Several of my talented colleagues with years of service have already found new jobs. Keep it up. The people you hire to replace them will be likely be less skilled. See how that works for you.

"Stay With Them Until A Real Job Is Available"

Former Employee - Field Technician Position in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Technician Position in Baltimore, MD

I worked at CSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A pay check will come your way
    Free parking
    Clean Offices

Cons

- Middle management is under qualified for the titled position they hold.
    - Tech don’t share IT information to help the team grow, they hold on to information for job security.
    - Not a very American friendly or former military oriented, jobs are leaving for over-seas
    - Middle management does not speak up for their hardworking employees; the lackeys are just there to appease upper management

Advice to Management

You should appreciate the talent you have remaining there

"Non-realistic vision after transformation"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plethora of projects to choose from but leadership has to be willing

Cons

No guidance or willingness to progress ones career

Advice to Management

Employee is not just a number, there is real life associated with it. Treat them as human beings rather than dispensable labor.

Showing 23 of 6,220 reviews