CSC Reviews in Columbia, SC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CSC President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging during difficult projects (in 126 reviews)

• Senior management does not care at all about employees (in 139 reviews)

"BUSINESS ANALYST"

Former Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Columbia, SC

I worked at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great loyal employees work for the company

Cons

The company has no loyalty to long term employees.

Advice to Management

Get the company stable.

"Don't think I'll ever go back there..."

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst Leader in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst Leader in Columbia, SC

I worked at CSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401K plan
    Work from home
    Good experience acquired.
    Excellent immediate supervisors.

Cons

Low pay
    Irrelevant company-wide meetings
    Laid off despite excellent reviews. (Think it was a last-in first out kind of thing.)

Advice to Management

Bear in mind that the broader the company meetings, the more irrelevant and time wasting they become to your technical people. These might be good for your sales & marketing folks and perhaps upper management, but they're an incredible time suck for every one else.

"Typical Corporation"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CSC (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home. On my team great people to work with and enjoy most of what I do.

Cons

Heavy involvement from corporate level ruins areas of the company that they have no clue about. Not concerned seemingly with keeping talent and paying their workers adequately.

Advice to Management

Do more to care about your employees and long term stability.

"Professional Finance"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible - able to work from home.

Cons

with all of the reduction in staff our work load has increased. Bell Curve merit method. No raises in two year. Not sure what they expect from employees in order to get raise--

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and maybe they will respect you. Employees feel like a number with you and not a human being.

6. "Good Company to work for."

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CSC (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including life health insurance and 401k. Global company.

Cons

Do not like to pay. Promote employees without additional compensation and do not keep promises.

Advice to Management

Take care of your hard working people.

"University Relations/Programs - Senior Recruiter"

Current Employee - University Relations/Programs - Recruiter in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - University Relations/Programs - Recruiter in Columbia, SC

Pros

CSC has an environment that allows me to share my opinions and ideas, and actually feel like my opinions and ideas are valued and considered. I love being able to speak up and be a part of growth and change within my organization.

Cons

CSC is such a large company, and because I work from a virtual environment, I miss out on meeting so many fellow employees that could be helpful to me.

Advice to Management

Stay the course! CSC is a creative, forward thinking company and I think we are headed in the right direction.

"Aggressive layoffs and cuts to benefits and emphasis on attrition have resulted in very low morale"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with a fairly recognized name
    Some positions allow employees to gain good experience

Cons

Current management has cut and off-shored thousands of jobs
    Benefits cuts
    Salaries and bonuses cut
    forced a significant % of employees to be rated under-performing to increase more attrition (it's working)

Advice to Management

You've made millions in bonuses through "financial engineering" at the expense of employees and customers, please move on

"By nature, insurance software vendor work is challenging and can fluctuate tremendously."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at CSC full-time

Pros

The Quality of people you get to work with daily and opportunity to learn a lot about the insurance business.

Cons

Diverting profits from one part of company (financial services) to other poorer performing segments created situation with dated technology and products though we had the expertise to improve the products and continue growing the business.

Advice to Management

Cost cutting mainly through layoffs which target more senior (higher paid) staff has created gaps you might not fix unless you change that strategy and rehire some of those people.

"Great, knowledgeable, hard working, team playing co-workers / corporate cut backs, layoffs, reduced benefits"

Current Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People - Awesome team players! Flexible hours. Challenging work (never bored).

Cons

Bell curve employee rating - low performance reviews to talented, hard working co-workers. Forced use of vacation days. Vacation day carry-over reduced to 5 days. 5% pay cut a couple of years ago. Change of 401K match to end of year (if you leave or are laid off, then no match of 401K). Corporate shifting to an 80% offshore / 20% onshore, hence we have layoffs. Long hours. Talented management leaving the company at a rapid rate. De-motivating atmosphere due to all of these changes.

Advice to Management

Rethink changes noted in Cons above. Losing staff at an alarming rate is causing a floundering situation. Customers aware of the situation and are getting less support from us due to reduced staff.

"Leaving CSC after 15 years of service"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are looking for experience in data center technical support and don't mind long hours, you can add a few lines to your resume working for CSC. It seems to be a company now focused on acquiring junior people to train for a high turnover employee base.

Cons

CSC has been plagued by financial reporting scandals in their European contracts and former executives looting the shareholders. The new management team is seeking to regain some measure of profitability at the expense of its long time employees through cuts in benefits and compensation. Older workers with tenure of over 5yrs are the target of cuts only to be replaced with junior staff at a significantly lower rate. Ultimately this results in a loss of productivity and loss of contracts so the company's long term outlook is questionable and there is little hope of the work environment improving.

Advice to Management

There really isn't any need or point in giving upper management advice on how to treat their employees better. Their goal of profitability at the expense of their labor force precludes any meaningful discussion from the bottom up.

Showing 16 of 6,018 reviews