CSC Reviews | Glassdoor

2,323 Ratings

5,911 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging during difficult projects (in 128 reviews)

• Senior management does not care at all about employees (in 139 reviews)

1. "CSC! A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Management accessability, their doors are always open. Lots of opportunities for advancement within the company without having to move into sales. Competent HR staff. Very friendly and sharp employees. No Prima Donnas here.

Cons

Very very difficult to get good technical training without having to do it virtually. Unless you are on a project you rarely hear from anyone in CSC, some people can feel very isolated. They expect an awful lot of travel but fortunately most of it is Monday thru Thrusday. Middle management seems incompetent at times. There isn't a lot of planning going on before execution begins on many projects.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on something for more than 3 months.

2. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Coppell, TX

Pros

Good compensation for the work you do.

Cons

The drive to and form work.

Advice to Management

None right now

"Opportunity abounds for those who have initiative and aren't afraid to learn new things."

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Opportunity abounds for those who have initiative and aren't afraid to learn new things. They try hard to communicate with employees and bring/accept new ideas. It has been exciting working for CSC over the last 30 years in the federal market place and I have seen lots of employee growth.

Cons

It is a very large company, that for a long time has presented itself as aged with lots of experience. While their intentions are good for wanting to build leadership, they don't have a clear direct plan for doing so. The leaders who are identified as needing to be cloned are typically understaffed and overworked so finding the time to mentor others or balance worklife with personal life is difficult. Because it is a large company, the single source of internal services causes a loss of the personal touch/consideration fond in a small company, which is a negative.

Advice to Management

The new CSC that is rolling out is a wonderful and exciting long overdue iniative! It will demonstrate that CSC can think like the young, be full of hope and new promises, with passion to work with our customers to help them find solutions for their 21st century problems. CSC needs to find a way to build the young leaders and business developers of tomorrow and accept risk of sponsoring college enthusiast for clearances and giving them mentors and opportunities to show their stuff in our market place. We need to show younger faces along with the old when going in front of customers with proposals and new business solutions. By marrying up our experienced business developers and leaders, with our contingent for the next generation of CSC leaders/BDers, we can only create a stronger momentum on the path of success. On another note, it would sure be nice to have a better Lotus Notes web interface for mail, as well as ALL management databases.

4. "You reap what you sow..."

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Newark, DE

Pros

An employee is only limited by their personal level of commitment to grow and learn. This is not a company for someone who wants to be "led" into professional development. You get what you put into it!

Cons

CSC is working to correct those areas that have been ignored - global collaboration, more customer satisfaction driven, creative and compassionate.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees to express needs and increase collaboration between working team across the organizatoin.

5. "Bold and looking to make serious improvements."

Current Employee - Director in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Falls Church, VA

Pros

I'm free to plan my career path and am encouraged to grow into any position that I am interested in.

Cons

Continuous improvement requirements can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Increased communication on strategy. This is a more diversified company than some would think

6. "I enjoy working at CSC..."

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Falls Church, VA

Pros

FCP is still a young organization and there is a lot of advancement that can be made. A key benefit of being part of such a large organization is that the option to move about the organization as a whole exists.

Cons

Currently there aren't that may projects and the managament of resources is slow to react.

Advice to Management

Win more work

7. "Excellent local opportunity, but corporate reachback and support sucks."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Extensive knowledge management resources, but you need to go find them yourself. They are not shared globally. Great local team to work with. Very knowledgeable, professional computer scientists.

Cons

Local contract work is liking working on a desert island. Reachback to corporate resources is almost non-existent. Fortunately, the local team is a really good group, otherwise it would be like working for any small mom-and-pop, rather than a Big Three, 90,000+ employee multinational.

Advice to Management

Grow, grow, grow. CSC used to ignore smaller opportunities, but it has learned that it needs to diversify. Mid-sized contracts are becoming more prominent in their wins. Keep going after these.

"Steady place that can get boring"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA

Pros

CSC is a very large company and each department is very different. My department was a small former DynCorp division and I felt that it was very nicely run in a family-friendly atmosphere. Managers were very open to 30/32 hour reduced FT schedules to people who had been working a few years with demonstrated performance, this was great for moms. Work was for the Fed Govt under LT contracts so unless you goofed big time your job was guaranteed. There was always a desire to help folks whose contracts ended and bring them into other divisions.

Cons

It is a large company and each department is different. - I have heard stories of very strict managers and very laid back managers. Note that there is no guarantee for inter departmental moves - if the contract you are on loses funding you may not find work and will get laid off.

Advice to Management

None.

9. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Pros

I love the management staff. A lot of my co-workers are there for me when I have questions. There are some great mentors at CSC.

Cons

People are very competitive and I always feel like someone is coming after my position otherwise I love it there.

Advice to Management

Give us opportunities to join different organizations that would help us network with other professionals in the area that are in the same industry as we are.

"Overall a great place to work."

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Lots of great talent to work around and learn and grow from
    plenty of training opportunities
    Trust relationship in working from home helps forster loyalty in my opinion

Cons

Working by yourself over instant messaging takes time to get used to.
    Large corporate atmosphere can someonetime be hard to understand

Advice to Management

I came in at the right time as there seemed to be a bit of controversy regarding some employees being forced to use or get rid of some extra vacation. I think this created some bad blood in some but I have yet to experience that. Right now I like the style of management that I have witnessed. Thats not to say that could change in the future, but I have felt very comfortable within my first 6 months here. Would maybe reccomend some updated training material, but then again beggers cant be choosers. I opted out of their training material for what I found to be better somewhere else. The material is all free however.

Showing 5,911 of 6,059 reviews