CSC Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

CSC President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging during difficult projects (in 129 reviews)

• Senior management does not care at all about employees (in 139 reviews)

"Sr. Professional Application Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Salesforce Developer/Release Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool work culture, good team.

Cons

High Layoffs. No job security

"Glad to see CSC is still treating employees like they belong at the bottom of the dumpster"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement. Less micromanagement. The ability to interact with the customer instead of having your PM as the middleman.

Cons

Staying employed with the company. Not running for the hills.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they matter. They do all your work! If you don't you will continue to move down the list as top federal contractors. Few years ago your company was in the top 10. No amount of acquisition/merger is going to fix your problem.

"Run away as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive in Washington, DC

Pros

There are some great people here but they are all looking for new jobs.

Cons

Horrible leadership with no respect for employees. They treat people like garbage. Attrition is double a normal firm. Cuts have gone too deep, customers are suffering from failed projects. Work life balance doesn't exist, they will work you like a dog and then toss you to the side. Run away from this toxic company.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"Stay Away, Stay Away, Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at CSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Difficult to come up with any except Pay was OK. Benefits mediocre - they use the AON Health Exchange

Cons

Simply the most psychotic environment I've ever been in. The "merger" with HPE Services (formerly EDS) is evidently leading to waves of thousands of layoffs. I knew one person who came off a successful engagement and was laid off the very next day. North American Consulting is taking the brunt of the massive arbitrary reductions evidently because other countries simply don't allow such. Many talented people who were recently hired were laid off without warning - more likely due to contractual requirements in the HPE Services "Merger".

This has created a spooky culture of "who's going to die next?!" - which includes management all the way up. I watched numerous talented managers simply quit and go elsewhere because they could not stomach the carnage. Same for very talented consultants.

The CEO is on a "digital transformation" binge and core business areas are being left in the dust and creating angry customers who are switching to more professional and reliable consulting organizations. People are laid off with no warning and it has had a chilling effect throughout the company. There's a general feeling that no valuable leadership is in place in North America.

Advice to Management

You've already ruined this company and your pipe dreams of creating something great from the rubble will prove to be your downfall. Too many poorly managed customers and ex employees who were treated badly and tossed aside will haunt CSC for years to come. It will never be a serious top notch consulting company and will instead become a bottom feeder as its leader has been setting it up for such.

5. "Business Architect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Partnerships with other companies
    Adequate Salary
    Building Personal Networks
    Available Training

Cons

Communications about company information is not always clear
    Less personal contact

Advice to Management

BE sure to listen to and be honest with employees

6. "Biller"

Former Employee - Billing Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Billing Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at CSC (Less than a year)

Pros

As a billing accountant I worked with a good team. The work was very basic, but well organized. Easy if you'd like a mindless job where you can listen to music all day.

Cons

Did not feel like I was contributing to the company, management didn't care.

Advice to Management

try to be more personal.

"Stay clear of this company"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at CSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personally I could not find one aspect of my job experience at this company as positive. A week prior to the day I resigned three of my co-workers within the same group had just left. All were extremely unhappy with the way our manager had been treating us.

Cons

Uncensored power that mid management wielded over their employees. Abuses included demand that SOME individuals were allowed only half hour for lunch breaks while others enjoyed full-hour lunch breaks. Long hours, unreasonable workload. Their pay scale was very non-competitive..

Advice to Management

If they were to be able to avoid constant high turnover, they must guard against abusive treatment.
    Revamp their workflow such that workloads are more manageable.

8. "CSC"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance at company

Cons

Company is not focused on employees, difficult to trust due to short term focus on profitability.

9. "Great people"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at CSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CSC is great place to work and the people are great.

Cons

A bit of a corporate feel.

"Bleeding, so take it out on employee benefits"

Current Employee - Principal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal in Washington, DC

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A job. A great alternative to not having one. If you have choices, this shouldn't be your first, or second, or third. The client is nice too. That smiling face of Lawrie's you see plastered everywhere at CSC - it's him laughing at all the money he'll make in bonuses as gives it to the employees' benefits. Fortunately, I'm far from those guys and it makes this job bearable.

Cons

Constant emails from HQ telling us how a great, wonderful initiative is taking place at the expense of employee benefits. Do your research here and elsewhere about this company. Again, this should not be your first choice.

Advice to Management

No matter how you spin it, it comes down to taking benefits away from employees. No, it's not "adding flexibility to taking time off", it's taking vacation days away. No, it's not "mandatory leave in December to spend time with your family", it's "take time off in December because your vacation time is a liability in our accounting books as we prepare to for Wall Street analysts." So condescending, it makes me gag.

Showing 104 of 6,086 reviews