CSU Bakersfield Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Administrative Coordinator"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at CSU Bakersfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, very quality-of-life focused culture, liberal and open minded environment where everyone stands up for everyone and makes staff and students feel safe and accepted.

Cons

You are not promoted here, you have to get your foot in the door and then continue to learn and apply for other positions in order to move up. But the most frustrating thing is the lack of training. In all 3 on-campus positions I've had, I have had zero training and had to learn everything completely on my own by trial and error. You really need to be able to take initiative and work with little to no direction in order to succeed here. Communication is poor, and technology is ancient! CSUB REALLY needs to get with the times, the university would run so much more efficiently simply by making a few technological advances.

Advice to Management

Create and maintain training manuals for staff positions, and I would also recommend regular group meetings among departments to keep everyone communicating. This would help tremendously! It would be nice to see the university be run a little bit more like a business to increase efficiency and to be able to take better care of our students.

2. "Student worker and intern"

I worked at CSU Bakersfield part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is pretty good, and it's usually a very open and progressive environment, especially for Bakersfield.

Cons

They take advantage of student workers. You can dedicate yourself to them but when you need an actual job they do not care.

Advice to Management

Actually care about the people who care about the school.

3. "Assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs"

I worked at CSU Bakersfield part-time

Pros

Good people and a commitment to the students

Cons

Red tape that limits some of the options for program developments

4. "Okay management with deceitful intentions - Great culture"

Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at CSU Bakersfield part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many benefits to becoming an ITA on campus:
    - Works great with your school schedule.
    - Learn basic technologies used in IT Infrastructure.
    - Learn customer service skills.
    - Earn more (potentially) rewarding experience and skills than any other student position on campus.
    - Become buddies with your professors, and make great friends.
    - Feel rewarded with assisting fac/staff/students with actual technical issues.
    - Dank memes.

You cannot discount the work environment here. All the guys are great, and you feel like a part of a family once you've been working for a couple of months. Your coworkers will assist you and answer your questions (even if they're stupid questions), and help you out if you ask for it.

There are periodically some downtimes which allow you to do homework or relax. However, expect to be on your feet every shift, or on the phones answering calls from campus staff/fac/students. This isn't a relaxed job - this job puts you to work, and you earn valuable experience in that exchange.

Cons

There are definitely cons associated with the position:
    - Pay is terrible compared to market value (Tier I/II Tech Support).
    - People here work harder than any other student assistants on campus, and don't make nearly as much (start at minimum and have to beg for raises if/when they do evaluations). - There are full-time staff who don't do anything. Seriously. It's not necessarily the departments' fault, and more due to the union on campus (the same union contributing to abuse of lecturers/non-tenured faculty...)
    - Issues that cannot be worked on (i.e. Faculty Blackboard Support - we don't have access) we get yelled at for before it gets moved up the appropriate ladders.
    - Managed with statistics about call volume, ticket creation/closure etc that are useless, since certain calls or tickets require different amounts of time/effort to finish.
    - The IT Helpdesk is literally blamed for nearly every technical issue on campus. Especially networking issues, Blackboard, Internet outages, and other things completely out of our control. Then, the higher-ups yell at you if you gain angry customers for it. Treated more like a private call center than your typical students.
    - Tenured faculty are either amazing, or a nightmare to work with.

Don't let the cons deter you. It's worth working here. It's just necessary to understand what the context of the working situation is - don't expect high pay for what you get. DO expect to be rewarded for working your tail off; people have been promoted before into higher positions in ITSS for being RELIABLE workers. This is the key to respect here.

Advice to Management

- If you can afford to, pay more to the good workers and hire less. It's probably hard to evaluate clearly the good workers, however, when you give them crappy raises and hand great raises to the terrible workers.
    - Grant more access to ITAs for specific tasks (ie AD privileges). It's understandable to have procedures for elevating issues, but some of the most frequent issues we encounter end up on this path and take MORE time overall to complete ALL because we don't have the administrator privileges. This would save time and money for ITSS.

5. "Great Place to study engineering with many opportunities to do research"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at CSU Bakersfield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great academic atmosphere
    -Many opportunities to do research

Cons

-Not many places to eat

Advice to Management

-ABET Accreditation

6. "Good opportunities for a college student!"

Former Employee - College Peer Advisor in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - College Peer Advisor in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at CSU Bakersfield (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about higher education programs and develop professional skills.

Cons

High amount of responsibility at a low competitive pay. Good for college students with no experience however.

Advice to Management

Better training and trust from the micro-management aspect.

7. "Worked in Tech Support"

Former Employee - Information Technology Assistant in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology Assistant in Poway, CA

I worked at CSU Bakersfield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The guys were great and the work wasn't too hard. They were flexible with hours and appreciated hard work. This was a good job.

Cons

The customers are always annoying but that's the same with any customer service job. The pay was low, but that was also expected.

Advice to Management

No advice in particular. The management was pretty good and didn't have us on a tight leash or anything. As I said before, they were really flexible with your schedule.

8. "Teaching Assistant"

Current Employee - Instructional Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Instructional Teaching Assistant

Pros

Excellent staff and engineering program.

Cons

Tight budget for students interested in working as aides/tutors.

9. "Work anywhere but here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at CSU Bakersfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great professors and great staff members. Good health benefits. Good vacation benefits, but you're often so overworked you can't enjoy a real vacation.

Cons

Underpaid and overworked. Each staff member has about 50% more of a workload than they should legally be doing but everyone is too terrified to speak up and ask for more money. When they do, they're bullied. So there's no real point in looking for anyone to "do the right thing." It won't happen at CSUB.

Deans are bullies to staff and faculty. They have very little experience managing staff or a budget. They don't have any business sense. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are pocketing grant money. Time for an audit! They run all over the staff Union.

Knowledge hoarding is huge here. "Old timers" hoard knowledge of processes and systems and make the new employees flounder until they figure out who to call and how to figure out systems and methods. It's ridiculous. New employees are taught to sink or swim and taught to trust no one because everyone gossips like crazy. If you're smart, watch out; the "old timers" are going to get crazy jealous.

High level "management" is made up of unethical staff members who lead by creating an atmosphere of fear. Horace Mitchell leads the way, with his methods of "managing" by firing whomever makes him upset and by giving veiled threats to staff members so they'll get their jobs done to his standards. His staff once told me "When Dr. Mitchell says jump; you jump." His staff is incredibly unprofessional, late, and dictatorial. One of his staff members tried correcting my grammar when she couldn't use a comma correctly. After all this, I wasn't sure if I was working for an abusive parent or the president of a university. Even fellow CSU staffers call Dr. Mitchell arrogant, but what takes the cake is when I had to follow him around like the paparazzi taking photos of him interacting with students. He doesn't actually care about students, though. I know that because I was a student when he first became president and he was incredibly snobby. He wouldn't even shake my hand. The university has gone downhill in the last 10 years since he's been there. Faculty members constantly complain about how apathetic he is. Unfortunately he's hired leaders who manage by fear, as well, so his legacy of fear and "excellence" (what a joke!) will outlive his tenure.

I would recommend to Timothy White to ask Dr. Mitchell and some of his staff to retire. Clean house, starting with the Deans and the VP of Business Management. Hire an outside company to perform an investigation on the culture of bullying and weed out staff and upper management who are known bullies.

10. "programmer"

Pros

nice people and good location

Cons

bad parking and and and