CSX "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Jim Foote

"Signal Construction Engineer"

Signal Manager

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Promotes from within, good training, good pay and benefits

Cons

Poor work life balance, 24/7 job

CSX2015-08-22

"Love Csx but not the politcs"

Management Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Pay, benefits, hard working people

Cons

Work/life balance don't really exists

Advice to Management

HR has to stand up to leadership and stop trying to be "liked" by the senior leadership. Work to make it an inclusive environment for diversity. Stop making knee jerk decision, fix work life balance issue, performance mgmt time is a joke and pencil whipping time because no real thought behind the scores. Promote good people or you'll lose them.

CSX2015-03-26
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Freight Conductor"

Current Employee - Freight Conductor

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy ensuring the economy moves in the right direction. The freedom to work without being looked over the shoulder everyday. The training that I received in order to do my job safely. The benefits. The pay. The customers.

Cons

The hotel is your home. Work life balance is available for Senior Management, H.R. and Labor Relations. Work life balance is not available for Lower Management or their direct repots (the true face of the company). Labor relations don't understand the contract they signed when it relates to paying what was agreed upon. If they can take the money back due to something in the contract they understand it clearly, if you dont understand it then too bad. Opportunity is not always given to the best candidates rather to friends and family referrals. No diversity. Most accountability standards only pertain to train crews. Intimidation is used often even if it requires breaking a rule or is unsafe. The last two examples means that this place is unethical. Unethical activities need not be reported, they will to be placed on a desk and lost rather than resolved if it come from union employee unless an attorney is involved.

Advice to Management

Read the comments that your current and former employees have been leaving about your company. Most of the good comments come from people who work in your home office. I have never heard anything about community projects in my trerminal, and you never show your face. Most of your employees outside of Jacksonville who truely makes tomorrow move, are giving you bad reviews. I don't suspect that you will acknowledge or respond to any of the comments that your employees are making. This assumption comes from the fact that you don't acknowledge the questions that we ask when you tell us to ask questions. ( i.e. ask Michael). I guess that begs the question, wouldn't you think a happier workforce would bring on a more productive workforce? I was a manager before I was unfortunate enough to come to this crapshoot. I manage by intimidation and managed with incentives, my team was more productive and happier working for incentives. I bet if you tried that, your stock would increase over that $34.97 that you can't seem to get over.

CSX2015-03-29
  5. "Overall: Good to great environment and work culture."

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Work life balance is good for positions not in the field locations. (Feel a bit sorry for them though) Many opportunities to make a difference on projects. Leadership is approachable. Work culture is good.

Cons

Base salary is a bit lower than some industries with the same jobs. (Could be due to Jacksonville market) It's easier for an individual to leave their current team and get a promotion than be promoted in their current position even when exceeding expectations.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the promotion process with HR. Managers should have power over their own teams and positions, they know who they need and who they want to promote based on performance, don't hinder that.

CSX2015-03-16

"More Money, More Problems"

Trainmaster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSX

Pros

Great pay and benefits for new employees. Training is extensive as you spend several months shadowing other Trainmasters or taking exams in the Atlanta office.

Cons

The job can be really good or really bad depending on who you are paired to train under. Unfortunately I got one of the worst. Work-life balance was nonexistent. In the first few minutes after being placed in a terminal, I usually worked 12 nights on, 2 nights off, for about 13-17 hours a day. I was fresh out of college so I thought this was the norm based on the great pay in comparison to many of my college peers.

Advice to Management

The high turnover, rampant obesity, and high rate of divorce with in your transportation department should be a clear sign that the culture is wrong. Moving employees to new city every year and hoping they'll be happy by throwing more money at them is an awful way of conducting business.

CSX2015-02-24
  7. "I've been with CSX for 14 years and am a lifetimer. I love my job, my team, and my company"

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Long term stability, incentives, and benefits. Younger generation of employees have a lot of opportunity for growth in the next 5 - 7 years. Corporate culture is great with a strong E-team at the helm.

Cons

Depending on projects, work-life balance can be a challenge at times; nevertheless, you just have to take the good with the bad.

CSX2015-01-24

"Its about who you know"

Current Employee - Human Resource Analytics in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There's plenty of jobs to apply for. Work-life balance is good for the office type jobs. Comp and benefits are good.

Cons

Not so much diversity in the workplace. Its a glass ceiling for minority women regarding promotions. The promotions are based on who you know, if they like you, and whether you fit the corporate color. They encourage you to speak up but concerns or issues but be prepare see that your career is at a halt. Bad behaviors are rewarded. Inconsistent performance management. I've been in both union and management positions. If it was up to me, I rather work in a union position that makes more money than managers and less of the bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Be fair and consistent.

CSX2014-09-17
  9. "CSX is a good place to work and encourages internal advancement"

Former Employee - Law Department in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CSX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional environment, bonuses, opportunities for advancement, work life balance

Cons

Low salary, slow moving like a government agency

CSX2014-05-19

"CSX could do better."

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Nashville, TN

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The paycheck and the benefits. There is never a boring day at the railroad.

Cons

The work/life balance. The harassment and being micro managed by management.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like children especially the veterans who come to work for CSX. They have 0 tolerance for micro management. If you have no faith in your employees then don't expect them to care about you or the company. The guys and girls on the ground are what makes CSX go. Granted there are some people who come to work but do as little work as possible but that is not the majority. The majority would like to be able to come to work, do a job for a decent paycheck without having to worry about being fired.

CSX2014-01-31
  11. "good experience"

I have been working at CSX

Pros

team oriented and good work life balance

Cons

sometimes slow and very bureacratic

CSX2013-10-18