CTLGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brent Nixon

1. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Smaller company so everyone is familiar with faces; feels like a family
    -Staff is very friendly; welcoming environment
    -Hiring process was quick; not long and drawn out like how other companies can be
    -Upper management (CEO, COO, CFO, HR) are very approachable and good-natured
    -Flexible schedules, competitive pay and great employee benefits

Cons

No Cons. Staff is highly educated and you can learn a lot from them. On your first day, you get a tour of all the campuses and labs, which is nice because you get to meet some of your co-workers and get a better understanding of what each department does.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Lack of leadership"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extraordinary history and very solid technical staff.

Cons

Very poor leadership for the last few years. Leaders are not technical experts and lack fundamental understanding of the business and capabilities of the firm.
    A widespread lack of incentives to technical staff.

Advice to Management

Identify and attract leaders that have a level of technical recognition as well as leadership capabilities. Having a MBA is certainly not enough to lead a company with this level of technical expertise. Cut overhead!!!

3. "Excellent Opportunity -"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Skokie, IL

Pros

This company has a great culture, and they truly care about their employees. They are stable and recently made expansions. Anyone that is in the concrete industry knows who they are and what they do. The environment is really pleasant, and the people are kind and very considerate with one another. A drama - less culture (SCORE!), the energy is warm and inviting. I strong urge you to apply and see what this company is about, they have great benefits, flex time, encourage growth and sponsor tuition reimbursement, and appreciate their employees. They are considerate and "BIG" enough to offer the benefits and compensation that is competitive with the market, but "SMALL" enough where the upper management knows who is who, and cares about the well being of all. This has been a awesome experience. True longevity with the employees, there are many that have been here 2 decades!

Cons

None.. other than you will be surrounded by highly intelligent people so get ready to learn. In addition, the Officers of the company are incredibly astute and intelligent, when they give a presentation, you feel lucky to be in company of such smart individuals.

Advice to Management

Offer more CTL clothes to the office staff.

"Overall good experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time

Pros

I was a bit hesitant to start working here because of not-so-good reviews at the time of applied for a job here. I definitely do not regret joining CTLGroup. There are great people here and work-life balance is amazing. You won't be micromanaged, in most departments.

Cons

As in any company, communication is a problem. One person says one thing, another - something else and there are rarely firm decisions made and/or followed. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that for the past 30 years CTLGroup hasn't really grown as much as other engineering companies.

Advice to Management

Do we really need so many managers, supervisors, etc. in some of the groups? Most other employees still don't know what are their exact duties. Work/ simple questions get unnecessarily routed through every person in the chain of command - waste of time and this process creates more confusion and dissatisfaction among employees. Some long-term employees, and experts by the way, do not get recognition they deserve or are disrespected and put down by their superiors.

6. "Loving it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

These are some very talented individuals. The work is both challenging and rewarding. Had lunch with the CEO in the lunchroom yesterday, so he is approachable and nice. The work/life balance is second to none. Employees put their time in to get the work done on one side and are encouraged to take our vacation days. I've been here a couple years now and want to be a part of the successes.

Cons

I wish more employees would come down to have lunch in the cafeteria. We all laugh and its nice to get to know people outside of the grind of the day.

Advice to Management

Continue to get to know your employees. It's amazing how much easier it is to handle the day when you know who you are talking to.

7. "Associate I"

Current Employee - Associate I in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Associate I in Skokie, IL

Pros

The level of expertise and experience that much of CTLGroup's employees possess is unmeasurable. The staffs here are extremely approchable and always willing to help and give advice. The project manager, senior staff and HR all kept a close contact during the pre-hiring process and really showed great interest in a potential employer. Starting base salary was very competitive and comes with great benifits.

The structure of the in-person interview process was quite intense with many different interviewers, however, the actual interview was very relaxing and they made you feel very comfortable. Interview for an entry level was focused more on personality and work ethic rather than technical stuff becase they actually look for an employee (within my respective position) to have the ability to learn and grow within the company and enhance the friendly and great work environment that is already in place. Also, a lot of different and interesting projects show up at CTLGroup so the potential to learn and grow is unlimited.

Cons

Non as of now internally. If you are commuting from the city, it can be brutal. And if you're looking to relocate within the office area, it can be quite expensive.

Advice to Management

Great starting experience, implement what is already in place. More hands-on work with other employees during the first two weeks or so of training process would be great in regards of becoming acquinted with others.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since I've been here (about a year or so), I have seen non-stop growth and progress. Everything from the diversity of the projects to the incredible minds of our leaders to the fun culture... I've never been bored and appreciate learning every day. Our labs and consulting live up to the reputation of the being the best in the industry.

Cons

There are a few operational issues currently being reviewed that need to be updated. Luckily we have the right people to resolve and improve them.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to talk to your staff. Everyone here is thirsty for knowledge and to shine themselves. Help us find opportunities to show the world what we are made of.

9. "Most of the Expertise has departed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I worked at CTLGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work can often be unique and interesting. Most of the staff are/were very good people and many possessed considerable technical expertise within the concrete and cement industry, which is the area where this company built a well-respected and long-standing reputation. Used to be a good company for which to work and build a career.

Cons

Management seemed to lose focus of and devalue the company and staff's historical strengths in the interest of pursuing other endeavors that were believed would grow the company. During their tenure management became hostile toward existing staff, which compromised the overall company work environment and drove many of the existing staff members away.

Advice to Management

The CEO and other management responsible for the company's deteriorating conditions were changed in 2013. The new management may have good business acumen but really have no applicable experience related to the cement and concrete industry, so their level of success is still to be determined.

"Great place to work with bright minded indviduals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry leaders; friendly and helpful staff; great workplace environment to learn and grow professionally dining in service

Cons

Communication lacking at times. Facilities needs a face-lift. Office groups tend to be isolated.

Advice to Management

Continue to open lines of communication among staff

"CTL is falling apart and will soon be out of business"

Former Employee - Associate II in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Associate II in Skokie, IL

I worked at CTLGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I totally agree with several of recent reviews. There is basically nothing good to mention. Well, the old, shabby building's basement is a great haunting house without any need to decorate.

Cons

Too many to list. Dictatorship from top management to mid-levels; incompetent CEO (just got fined) and managers (one was fined too); unhealthy working environment...

Advice to Management

Learn to be a human being and do something humae