CUNA Mutual Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

4.1
CUNA Mutual President and Chief Executive Officer Robert N. Trunzo
Robert N. Trunzo
Pros
  • "Work life balance, mission based(in 41 reviews)

• "great place to work, good benefits(in 34 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working at a credit union but for CUNA, you have to remember you are a guest there(in 15 reviews)

• "Terrible upper management and they provide no assistance(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Featured Review

Mission Focused

Nov 10, 2020 - Director Communications in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

People-focused, caring and compassionate senior leaders who authentically want to continue to grow the company with employees and not at the cost of employees.

Cons

Becoming more agile and diverse, but a way to go.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Great company

Apr 29, 2021 - Desktop Support Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours to work in there

Cons

They pay salary. Don’t gets pay for overtime

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Internal advancement is very difficult

May 12, 2021 - Sales Specialist in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits offered - Flexible schedules and work arrangements - Lots of very talented people to learn from

Cons

When I was hired, I was told that there were plenty of internal advancement opportunities. That's certainly true for some people, based on the conversations I've had with several employees over the years. But many very talented people get stuck in their roles for years, applying for dozens of internal positions without success. My manager flat out told me that advancement depends on who you know. I work in a very isolated area, so I actually have almost no connections to other departments within the company. I've tried to make myself more marketable by acquiring new technical skills on my own since joining CUNA. And, even though the company covered my tuition for graduate school work in data science, I've been turned down for every role in that area due to "lack of experience." (My GPA is a 4.0, by the way). I don't get what I'm doing wrong, honestly. I've given up on moving into a new role at CUNA. I'm looking outside the company. Difficult during COVID, but necessary at this point.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Wonderful People, Great Balance

Apr 14, 2021 - Claims Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was hesitant to apply to CMG because I had never heard of the company, but it has been the best career decision I’ve made. Direct manager always stresses to put our family and ourselves first and then work. Once work has stopped for the day, don’t think about it. Flexible work options. Encouraged to do ongoing education. Can express you are interested in another work area and are encouraged to start making moves to find out if it is right for you. The CEO is a very thoughtful person and doesn’t seem to caught up in his role that he expects special treatment.

Cons

If you work remote (before COVID), employees in Madison were treated better and other branches seemed forgotten. Went through a period where they outsourced work, but have found out the company hired out was extremely incompetent and have made moves to stop their service.

5. 5.0

Excellent Employer

Apr 16, 2021 - Compliance
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been employed for 3 years with CUNA Mutual Group. The environment is professional and supportive. The leadership does an excellent job of communicating their direction and from the top down they foster an environment of kindness. I am generally skeptical of corporate environments, but I am extremely glad I joined them and plan to stay for many years.

Cons

No cons that I can identify yet.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A company that values employee experience as well as customer experience

Feb 24, 2021 - Sales &Amp; Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

In a world where customer experience is a priority for businesses, CUNA Mutual Group stands at the top because they understand that a great customer experience begins with a great employee experience. They provide a meaningful vision of the future, one that connects to the employee’s vision of the organization, they empower their employees and provide a sense of purpose, and they encourage positive relationships with open lines of communication.

Cons

Although we are working virtually and engaging through Zoom calls, the inability to be with my co-workers during this COVID state is what I miss most.

7. 3.0

It’s ok

Apr 22, 2021 - Financial Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to work I’m a credit union and everyone is generally pleasant

Cons

You see your fair share of credit union members who are so far behind and will never accumulate enough wealth to retire Management is improving processes but lots of old timey stuff that other broker dealers have fixed 10+ years ago

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible leadership communication/business practices; overall uncomfortable experience!

Apr 30, 2021 - Communications Specialist in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive colleagues; responsive HR team.

Cons

Poor communication; lack of transparency.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent Company

Mar 25, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Waverly, IA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent to their employees, treat employees very well.

Cons

I dont have any cons

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to learn

Mar 26, 2021 - Business Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong culture of diversity and equity

Cons

Complex organization can make it hard to navigate

Viewing 1 - 10 of 423 Reviews