CVS Health Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • There is opportunity for great Flexible hours (in 337 reviews)

• Good Work Life Balance in this company (in 101 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Locations,lunch,dinner,breakfast,breaks,snacks, food, sleep, tv, talking

Cons

Work work work work work

Advice to Management

Keep trying

2. "Current Front End Clerk/Cashier for CVS Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The store I am at now is amazing! The SM is really laid back and does everything he can to help our customers. The Shifts are great. I work mostly with one Shift who is the sweetest lady! Customers love her, ask for her all the time. I really enjoy working with her. Our customers are great, too. Rarely have issues w/many crabmasters.

Cons

You don't know what you're going to get until you start working. Management style makes a huge impact on your career. I was a Shift and ended up stepping down because the management style of the SM I worked with didn't work for me. She was brought in after I was hired. Fortunately, I did learn a lot from her in the process.

It seems corporate doesn't have a clue how to run these stores. They allow minimal hours for payroll (a manager and a cashier at all times that the store is open) - yet expect exemplary customer service. If I am ringing up a customer. How am I supposed to help another customer who just walked in the door? Corporate wants that person walked to the product. A lot of the time, the manager is stocking or working on her other duties. If you want hands on customer service - you're gonna have put someone on the sales floor.

Pay is extremely low, just over minimum wage for my state.

Advice to Management

In our customer surveys, customers are consistently complaining about lack of help on the sales floor. I know CVS won't listen to this advice, but I'm going to write it anyway: listen to your customers! They are your bread and butter. They are telling you what we have been telling you for years - your expectations of us for the wages you pay are unreasonable. That is why turnover is so high. McDonald's, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart all pay more than CVS does!

3. "Fun and exciting at times, I had a great staff."

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have opportunities to grow in the company. You learn a lot with company and they really take customer service very serious and you get awarded.

Cons

As a pharmacy technician they have a limit of how much money you can make and you won't receive any raises after. So you have to move along in the company for more money even if you enjoy what you do.

Advice to Management

Better raises and appreciate your workers more.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff very fun work environment

Cons

Minimum wage, hours up and down, they overwork you

Advice to Management

Staff should be considerate of people lives outside of work especially when we have children

6. "Excellent Employer"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is top notch with an incentive based 2-4.75% increase every year! The retirement plan and benefits are also great. There have been many recent upgrades to our system software and technology that has really streamlined the pharmacy process.

Cons

Our prices are not competitive with other pharmacies. I don't exactly know the numbers but I feel as if some meds could be a lot cheaper

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No two days are the same. Time goes by very quickly in a fast paced environment. I work with some great people.

Cons

This company is terrible in every way. I would work with only one employee in the store which meant I had to do everything, back-up cashier, janitor, vendor check-in, stocker. On my days off I end up either having to work, at a meeting or some stupid training class. No extra hours to train new employees which means I have to work extra to train. The resources we are given are horrible. I've seen abandoned stores in better condition then my own. The parking lot lines are faded away, dead bushes for landscaping, stained nasty carpet. Customers give poor survey scores because of the conditions which I am held responsible for, but every request for improvements go unresolved.

Advice to Management

Evidently we do not have enough money in the budget to staff properly or maintain a clean looking store, but how can we ever expect to drive sales and customers back into our stores without the resources. Customers don't shop at junky, poorly staffed stores which is why sales within the company have been going down. Give customers a reason to shop here.

8. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health (Less than a year)

Pros

laid back, friendly coworkers, good benefits , and opportunities .

Cons

coupon shoppers! Chip readers. Low staff. Feel like there should be more emphasis on cleaning, and stratening .

Advice to Management

Have more cashiers on a shift, and more people to work on the floor.

"No Support"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

People at the store you work with. Most are hard working, but you get what you pay for as well.

Cons

No support from above you. Store Managers are typically good people wanting to help each other. Above Store Manager and there is no support. Higher ups disappear when the it hits the fan. Mostly, YES men and women. If you are family oriented not for you. You need to be willing to do anything and willing to be married to the company, for your DM or Immediate Supervisor.
    Higher ups favorite word is ACCOUNTABILITY!

Advice to Management

Look to be more supportive of the people making day to day decisions. We are not stupid or lazy. We are just not the chosen!

10. "No staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Not exactly sure of many but you can be promoted quickly if you are good.

Cons

No hours, no staff, not great pay, expensive benefits. Want you to do everything but won't give you the tools or resources to actually accomplish the tasks.

Advice to Management

More to the corporate people, quit padding your bonuses and give to the people that actually do the work.

"Pharmacy Tech"

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Good benefits.. Flexible schedule works with you on your hours

Cons

Don't get breaks at all! Under paid

Showing 42 of 10,183 reviews