CVS Health Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tough but fair."

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Acted as a business owner, coach and mentor to a great team.

Cons

Red tape, constant pressure to attain results and limited training.

Advice to Management

Coach your colleagues more.

2. "Inventory Specialist at a No Drive-Thru Store"

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Camaraderie with co-workers; Helping people; Flexible hours; You don't need to have a college degree to get this job (OJT); Room to grow; Great VISION insurance

Cons

1. VERY low pay for a career that requires skill, training, and certification;

2. Metrics that require us to do too many tasks in a short space of time which greatly reduces accuracy and customer service;

2. If we spend time with a sick patient our metrics completely fall apart;

3. Terrible health insurance which is surprising considering this company owns one of the largest health insurers in the nation!

4. No reward for hard work (I was given all Exceed Expectations by my supervisor because I'm very good at my job but she was told by the district super that our store is too small to justify giving me the EE raise and he was forced to reduce my score so that I would only be Meeting Expectations on paper. This was just to save a 10 cent/hr raise)

Advice to Management

Raise salaries for skilled CPhTs; Reward hard-workers; Change your metrics so as to allow for good (or dare I ask, even GREAT) customer service. We have many customers that come to our store from as much as 30 minutes away JUST BECAUSE they get much better service with us (we ignore your unreasonable metrics). Maybe the way to compete with AMAZON and others is to offer something they can't. - BETTER SERVICE!

3. "Great fast paced environment"

Former Intern - Graduate Pharmacy in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Graduate Pharmacy in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding job with tons of growth potential. Very diversified work place that strives for excellent customer care.

Cons

Long shifts and their software needs to be revolutionized to meet future business needs.

4. "Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pharmacy technician training is provided for you. They offer flexible hours and will work with your school schedule and availability.

Cons

Work environment can be stressful and exhausting. CVS requires pharmacy technicians to do a large amount of work for little pay.

Advice to Management

Start pharmacy technicians at a higher salary. This will make them more loyal to the company and make it easier to devote their time to CVS instead of other employers.

5. "Current Front End Clerk/Cashier for CVS Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The store I am at now is amazing! The SM is really laid back and does everything he can to help our customers. The Shifts are great. I work mostly with one Shift who is the sweetest lady! Customers love her, ask for her all the time. I really enjoy working with her. Our customers are great, too. Rarely have issues w/many crabmasters.

Cons

You don't know what you're going to get until you start working. Management style makes a huge impact on your career. I was a Shift and ended up stepping down because the management style of the SM I worked with didn't work for me. She was brought in after I was hired. Fortunately, I did learn a lot from her in the process.

It seems corporate doesn't have a clue how to run these stores. They allow minimal hours for payroll (a manager and a cashier at all times that the store is open) - yet expect exemplary customer service. If I am ringing up a customer. How am I supposed to help another customer who just walked in the door? Corporate wants that person walked to the product. A lot of the time, the manager is stocking or working on her other duties. If you want hands on customer service - you're gonna have put someone on the sales floor.

Pay is extremely low, just over minimum wage for my state.

Advice to Management

In our customer surveys, customers are consistently complaining about lack of help on the sales floor. I know CVS won't listen to this advice, but I'm going to write it anyway: listen to your customers! They are your bread and butter. They are telling you what we have been telling you for years - your expectations of us for the wages you pay are unreasonable. That is why turnover is so high. McDonald's, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart all pay more than CVS does!

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Locations,lunch,dinner,breakfast,breaks,snacks, food, sleep, tv, talking

Cons

Work work work work work

Advice to Management

Keep trying

7. "Fun and exciting at times, I had a great staff."

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have opportunities to grow in the company. You learn a lot with company and they really take customer service very serious and you get awarded.

Cons

As a pharmacy technician they have a limit of how much money you can make and you won't receive any raises after. So you have to move along in the company for more money even if you enjoy what you do.

Advice to Management

Better raises and appreciate your workers more.

8. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff very fun work environment

Cons

Minimum wage, hours up and down, they overwork you

Advice to Management

Staff should be considerate of people lives outside of work especially when we have children

9. "Excellent Employer"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is top notch with an incentive based 2-4.75% increase every year! The retirement plan and benefits are also great. There have been many recent upgrades to our system software and technology that has really streamlined the pharmacy process.

Cons

Our prices are not competitive with other pharmacies. I don't exactly know the numbers but I feel as if some meds could be a lot cheaper

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No two days are the same. Time goes by very quickly in a fast paced environment. I work with some great people.

Cons

This company is terrible in every way. I would work with only one employee in the store which meant I had to do everything, back-up cashier, janitor, vendor check-in, stocker. On my days off I end up either having to work, at a meeting or some stupid training class. No extra hours to train new employees which means I have to work extra to train. The resources we are given are horrible. I've seen abandoned stores in better condition then my own. The parking lot lines are faded away, dead bushes for landscaping, stained nasty carpet. Customers give poor survey scores because of the conditions which I am held responsible for, but every request for improvements go unresolved.

Advice to Management

Evidently we do not have enough money in the budget to staff properly or maintain a clean looking store, but how can we ever expect to drive sales and customers back into our stores without the resources. Customers don't shop at junky, poorly staffed stores which is why sales within the company have been going down. Give customers a reason to shop here.

Showing 47 of 12,029 reviews