CVS Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3,914 Ratings

10,983 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Pharmacy tech inventory specialist"

Current Employee - Cvs Pharmacy Tech and Inventory Specialist in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace great customers enjoyable staff love the medical portion of it I'm very good at what I do I love that there is a system and a way of doing things in order

Cons

They cut hours frequently. They hire too many employees at once and then can't give all of them hours. They sometimes don't show appreciation.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your techs. Place them where they are best at not based off where they want to be in the production line. Listen to the advice given.

"15 year manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

"Any potential future store managers please read!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1-Very easy to get hired directly into the position with competitive salary. (Mid 60s-low 80) Outside talent do get a significant higher pay than those who are promoted within.

2-Most stores are low and very low volume.

3-You make your own schedule based on a 45 hour work week salary plan.

4-Insurance/benefits for salaried managers are available within 90 days.

5-Training for position takes only approximately 12 weeks.

Cons

1-Payroll, most stores would operate at "minimum" payroll, which means, as a manager you would be doing everything yourself and would spend the majority of your working day as a stock clerk, cashier, cleaner, greeter, book-keeper and photo associate.
    You would have absolutely no time to truly manage, delegate or develop any team members.

2-Turn overs is extremely high on just about all levels.
    You will see constant change in District Managers. Store level turn overs are atrocious, to a point that even within a district, most store managers have no relationships with their peers.

3- Be prepared to live in your own "island". The culture of the company is non-existence. Most managers are very unhappy and dislike "corporate". The general theme in most stores is "corporate sucks".

4- Bonus would be near impossible to attain.

5- Customer service score importance is approached incorrectly, instead of an overall score as practiced throught retail industry, Survey are weighted according to what "corporate" feels is more important each year. The method of collecting the score (slow stores have it printed on random receipts, busy stores with higher loyalty card usage will only be through email.) The sample size for surveys are about 1:2500 customers. Your score would almost always be inconsistent as it would never meaningfully reflect customer service level.

6- Be prepared to work many doubles, be prepared to work 7 days, be prepared to cancel all plans at a whim, be prepared to get a call while you are on vacation because you will have call outs and with no one around to help cover shifts (read point number 3). Also, Be prepared to get calls from other store managers begging you to help them cover a shift atleast 3 times a week.

7- Warehouse deliveries/overstock is just mind boggling. Do yourself a favor and ask to tour a store before your interview.

8- Audits! So many audits.. so little payroll.

Advice to Management

Its unfortunate that most District Managers are failing to bubble up issue that are affecting the stores. The accountability piece should be use to drive engagement not Key performance index (kpi).

Create a sustainable workforce, give stores their payroll back. Invest in the people you have and let them take the company to a new height. Expense comtrol can only help so many quaters.

4. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Washington, DC

Pros

Good health insurance and 401k matching. Discounts with card after 90 days of employment

Cons

Depends on your coworkers. It can be difficult with bad technicians or easy with good technicians

5. "Pharmacy Tech"

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Great training, and potential to grow.

Cons

Wasn’t accommodating to pregnant women

6. "It was cvs caremark"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent wages for what is available in area

Cons

very stressful for the type of work being given

7. "Pharmacy Technician"

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

easy work, co workers are awesome

Cons

system is old and outdated not enough hours

"Things need to slightly improve"

Current Employee - Director, Analytics in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Director, Analytics in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place for growth. Good talent with low turnover rate. Competitive salaries. The Northbrook facility is great, with a gym and decent cafeteria.

Cons

Not a great place for work life balance . Upper management have sometimes unrealistic expectations. The benefits are also not that great.

Advice to Management

While there was a low turnover historically, I'm seeing more people leave now and that is mainly due to overworking people. Little appreciation is shown when individuals put in long hours. Small changes can have big impact.

9. "Not so great company."

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

The family that I have made in this job are for a life time. My pharmacists are always going to be there for me and they are all about the community.

Cons

The company itself is really all about themselves. Our store is a mess and corporate will not do anything that benefits themselves.

Advice to Management

Worry more about your employees and how they are doing and then they will be happier to help the public!

10. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors were understanding, and could request off when needed.

Cons

Work hours were obscure and mostly weekend at night.

Showing 10,983 of 11,282 reviews