CVS Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3,814 Ratings

10,745 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Pharmacy tech inventory specialist"

Current Employee - Cvs Pharmacy Tech and Inventory Specialist in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace great customers enjoyable staff love the medical portion of it I'm very good at what I do I love that there is a system and a way of doing things in order

Cons

They cut hours frequently. They hire too many employees at once and then can't give all of them hours. They sometimes don't show appreciation.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your techs. Place them where they are best at not based off where they want to be in the production line. Listen to the advice given.

"15 year manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

"Any potential future store managers please read!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1-Very easy to get hired directly into the position with competitive salary. (Mid 60s-low 80) Outside talent do get a significant higher pay than those who are promoted within.

2-Most stores are low and very low volume.

3-You make your own schedule based on a 45 hour work week salary plan.

4-Insurance/benefits for salaried managers are available within 90 days.

5-Training for position takes only approximately 12 weeks.

Cons

1-Payroll, most stores would operate at "minimum" payroll, which means, as a manager you would be doing everything yourself and would spend the majority of your working day as a stock clerk, cashier, cleaner, greeter, book-keeper and photo associate.
    You would have absolutely no time to truly manage, delegate or develop any team members.

2-Turn overs is extremely high on just about all levels.
    You will see constant change in District Managers. Store level turn overs are atrocious, to a point that even within a district, most store managers have no relationships with their peers.

3- Be prepared to live in your own "island". The culture of the company is non-existence. Most managers are very unhappy and dislike "corporate". The general theme in most stores is "corporate sucks".

4- Bonus would be near impossible to attain.

5- Customer service score importance is approached incorrectly, instead of an overall score as practiced throught retail industry, Survey are weighted according to what "corporate" feels is more important each year. The method of collecting the score (slow stores have it printed on random receipts, busy stores with higher loyalty card usage will only be through email.) The sample size for surveys are about 1:2500 customers. Your score would almost always be inconsistent as it would never meaningfully reflect customer service level.

6- Be prepared to work many doubles, be prepared to work 7 days, be prepared to cancel all plans at a whim, be prepared to get a call while you are on vacation because you will have call outs and with no one around to help cover shifts (read point number 3). Also, Be prepared to get calls from other store managers begging you to help them cover a shift atleast 3 times a week.

7- Warehouse deliveries/overstock is just mind boggling. Do yourself a favor and ask to tour a store before your interview.

8- Audits! So many audits.. so little payroll.

Advice to Management

Its unfortunate that most District Managers are failing to bubble up issue that are affecting the stores. The accountability piece should be use to drive engagement not Key performance index (kpi).

Create a sustainable workforce, give stores their payroll back. Invest in the people you have and let them take the company to a new height. Expense comtrol can only help so many quaters.

4. "Great"

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Room for growth with company

Cons

Slow days can be a drag

5. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - CVS-Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - CVS-Shift Supervisor

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Good place to work and make some money. advancement is available if you choose to try to advance. dependent on region, some stores probably train better than others.

Cons

There is only ever just two people per shift unless it is truck day, then there may additional help available. As stated, there is usually a cashier and a manager on duty, who often times might have to help Pharmacy which will leave the front with only one person. I do not understand how CVS allows both the front end and the Pharmacy to be understaff without additional help yet still expect the store to function as a top retail/pharmacy store.

Advice to Management

An additional person to front store staff, maybe a mid person working 11-7 or 12-8pm would greatly help out with both getting work done and helping with customers.

6. "Strong company"

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I started working for a company that CVS bought out. The pay was decent and I enjoyed helping people.

Cons

Long hours. Worked every holiday. Did not feel valued by upper management.

Advice to Management

You preach about leading with heart, I wish I had felt it.

7. "Recommending"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at CVS Health full-time

Pros

It's a friendly and diverse office

Cons

Sometimes it helps to be best friends with your boss, to get a promotion

8. "Customer Care Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cvs Caremark is a great company to work for. Great pay, raises every year, and quarterly bonus.

Cons

Mandatory overtime the entire month of January. High deductibles for heath insurance.

Advice to Management

The Ceo and upper managment need to spend a day in the life of a customer care rep, taking calls for a day.

"Long Time Store Manager Worn Out"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job is secure as long as you make your numbers or show consistent progress. Decent benefits. Good salary.

Cons

Low wages for hourly employees makes hiring and keeping good help nearly impossible. Long hours required from salaried managers to keep store in presentable shape as payroll budgets are cut more every year. Corporate micro-management of arbitrary metric targets.

Advice to Management

Stop going on silly endavours like the Target acquisition. Focus on the commitments you already have to insurance providers (so we don't lose more contracts) Fire Larry Merlo. Stock has lost $30/share in the last two years under his watch. No one believes we are here to "Help people on the path to better health." If you meant that, you would give stores the resources they need to provide decent service and care.

10. "Staff Pharmacist"

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, if staff is good than the work can be done

Cons

Long hour, high unrealistic standards

Advice to Management

Staff retention needs to be of higher priority

Showing 10,745 of 11,038 reviews