CVS Health Reviews | Glassdoor

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
3,300 Ratings

9,467 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • flexible hours, great team, environment (in 312 reviews)

• Flexiable hours good benefits get to work from home (in 304 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"customer care"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 8 years)

Pros

awesome benefits, family-work balance, great incentives when you do a good job and OT available throughout the year. Ability to work from home after 6 months in the office. Managers and Supervisors are willing to assist and go above and beyond to help you out.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to list.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, you are very engaged with your employees and it shows.

"15 year manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

3. "Good company for a job, not a career"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay for retail. Usually flexible and able to accommodate unique scheduling needs based on location. Good opportunity for advancement to a reasonable degree but is pretty much impossible to get a job outside of a store level.

Cons

Non existent ability to get promoted out of a store level position unless your a pharmacist. Most people in field management have never worked in a store ands do not have a realistic understanding of what its like. They often make pharmacist who have never manager or even worked in a front store setting field managers.

5. "A big corporation"

Former Employee - Advisor in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Advisor in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lot of people in the Woonsocket corporate office. You get to meet and work with a lot of smart ones.

Cons

CVS has grown by acquisition of a lot of smaller companies over a period of twenty years. There is a culture of its own, but has a myriad of culture brought in from all these different firms.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and grow even bigger. Healthcare is poised for huge growth in the coming years!

6. "Great place to work!"

I worked at CVS Health part-time

Pros

Great work-life balance, great team.

Cons

Lack of personal growth, rude customers.

"Unrealistic expectations"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You meet some really cool hard working people. Good with school schedules. Tuition assistance. There's a cvs almost everywhere so you can always pick up hours at another store.

Cons

High turnover rate. Unrealistic expectations. Always hiding the truth from corporate. No hours. No security. Rules never enforced. Managers only handle things when their backs are against the walls. No clear direction.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. I understand you're just delegating what corporate "higher ups" are telling you to do..HOWEVER be realistic with yourself and us. Because most of you can't even get the work done. I think there needs to be more education requirements to become management. Just because you pack out totes super fast doesn't mean you know how to run a store..give fast feedback.. etc!

"Too much bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a Pharmacy Tech. The training was good. The quality of the work environment largely depends on the people you work with.

Cons

Way too much bureaucracy. There was a policy for absolutely everything, but it was run by managers outside of the pharmacy that didn't seem to understand the day-to-day craziness. Wanting to tightly control everyone and everything from afar with no credit due to the people actually running the business is no was to run a business. Pharmacy Techs are grossly underpaid, especially in states where the cost of living is very high.

9. "Not bad, not great"

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Store level managers try to push you and motivate you.

Cons

District level management is often too disconnected to the individual stores.

10. "Great place but pay isn't where it should be"

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

I love the people I work with, we have very strong team chemistry and everyone is always willing to help pharmacist included. They also teach a lot as well, I had no idea about third party claims or even drug names. Now I feel confident I can go to any other job and be successful.

Cons

The pay for what we do there is horrible, many other places including Walmart, Walgreens, and Costco pays a lot more. The customers there are rude and try to make you feel incompetent and incompatible of doing your job. Not all custormers are like that but the majority are.

Advice to Management

The pay should be raised, a lot is expected of the employees and some more than others go above and beyond to make CVS a great place to get prescriptions from.

11. "Pharmacy technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Low pay and job advancement

Advice to Management

Better comminication

Showing 9,467 of 9,694 reviews