CVS Health Reviews | Glassdoor

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
3,495 Ratings

9,934 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • There is opportunity for great Flexible hours (in 337 reviews)

• Good Work Life Balance in this company (in 101 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"customer care"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 8 years)

Pros

awesome benefits, family-work balance, great incentives when you do a good job and OT available throughout the year. Ability to work from home after 6 months in the office. Managers and Supervisors are willing to assist and go above and beyond to help you out.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to list.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, you are very engaged with your employees and it shows.

2. "One of the best companies to work for in any industry."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

As far as chain pharmacies are concerned, CVS has got it. Each pharmacy has its own unique atmosphere based on the customer base and the managers in charge. After working in other chain pharmacies, it would be hard for me to leave CVS because of the encouragement that each store gets to be a community pharmacy for YOUR community. CVS also has a unique market position because of the senior management's insight into the future of pharmacy. This provides job security and allows you to see where your work fits into the future of the pharmacy profession. Overall, CVS is a great company to work for and provides great opportunities for a career in pharmacy and advancement to management.

Cons

Because each store is individualized, it is possible that a store may not fit your personality. If this is the case, I would look around to other stores which may be a better fit. The regional management is also very helpful in working with good employees to make them comfortable and happy.

Advice to Management

As more initiatives are implemented toward making CVS Caremark a leader in pharmacy and benefits management, senior management should maintain its focus on new and emerging trends in pharmacy. The company has been the leader in business decisions and foresight, which has forced other pharmacy chains to play catch up. As an employee, it is a comforting atmosphere to be leading rather than following and that atmosphere should be maintained.

"An honest review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Great company that cares about its employees and the entire community. Most importantly, CVS Caremark is an innovative healthcare leader that offers competitive benefits to their employees. All in all, one can have an awarding career at CVS Caremark

Cons

Many of the works sites in IL are not centrally located. In other words, it's a challenge utilizing public transportation OR traveling by car for most commuters. The rail and bus systems are not that robust in the burbs, especially if one need to travel from one suburb to the next.

Advice to Management

Become an advocate for worklife balance & telecommuting opportunities ASAP for those positions that the work can be accomplished successfully off-site.

"Good ,but could be better."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Many career opportunities around the country; Meaningful work; Recognition for achievements; Volunteer organization

Cons

Lack of communication between departments; Can be reactive instead of proactive at times to issues.

Advice to Management

Walk around more among staff.

6. "A good job for college students."

Current Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good benefits compared to similar jobs. Managers actually care about you they don't just see you as an employee. My boss is pretty understanding about school being more important than work.

Cons

CVS corporate makes crazy decisions sometimes. They change their mind very often which can be frustrating. They also like to keep the stores staffed at almost the exact minimum needed to operate the store. This can be frustrating as well because if you ever want some extra hours its doubtful you will get them. Overtime is virtually unheard of. I dislike being scolded for accidentally working overtime.

Advice to Management

To be a little more understanding with overtime. I understand that overtime is expensive for the company but employees should not be terrified of being disciplined for working 5 minutes of overtime.

7. "CVS, the possibilities are endless!"

Current Employee - District Category Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - District Category Specialist in Columbus, OH

Pros

The benefits, but the company as a whole is great to work for.

Cons

Time alotted for scheduled tasks is not always realistic

Advice to Management

Could be a little more flexible with hours, we are not magicians

8. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great job, great people. Management always willing to pitch in and help. The pharmacy where I work is very busy, and when I started I was impressed by the way everyone pitched in to help get me trained. I have been here for 5 years, and I don't ever want to leave. I used to work at another chain drug store, but the atmosphere there was horrible, someone was always looking over your shoulder trying to catch you doing something wrong. At CVS, we have a lot of metrics and reports, but the way we use them is to help us provide better service to our customers.

Cons

Customers are sometimes hard to deal with, but they are not feeling well, so we take that into consideration

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Pros and Cons for Part-time CVS Employees"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I enjoy working with the public and like working at CVS. CVS matches money put into and retirement IRA

Cons

I like working AT CVS, not FOR CVS. CVS does match your contributions to an IRA. But, for the most part, part-time employees get few benefits from this company. I was really excited when I saw a posting for scholarships for CVS employees's children - until I looked closer and it was only for full-time employees. We get no paid vacation and our employee discount is not good. I worked for Osco before CVS bought us out and we accrued vacation hours and receive a very good employee discount. CVS is just making more money off of it's employees instead of giving them a break.

Advice to Management

Please treat your part-time employees better - especially the ones who are loyal and have stayed with the company.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IS Tech in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - IS Tech in Smithfield, RI

Pros

this is by far the best place i have ever worked. the people are friendly, management knows what they are doing. there is constructive input from everyone around me.

Cons

CVS runs a tight ship, this is of course to stay competitive.. other than that really have nothing bad to say about this company. It is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front lines and you will do fine. You dont have to take their advice and use it, just keep an open ear. I find far too often management makes decisions based on what they think and not whats actually happening.

11. "CVS Pharmacy"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Lots of trainiing to know how to do your job correctly. Ability to run your store and come up with ideas to try out within reason without much red tape.

Cons

Like every other company Payroll is slim for what they require you to do. Stores would run smoother with a little more help.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more, and put a ittle moe staff in your stores. This wil improve service aand bring more traffic into the stores.

Showing 9,934 of 10,187 reviews