CVS Health Reviews in Rhode Island | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IS Tech in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - IS Tech in Smithfield, RI

Pros

this is by far the best place i have ever worked. the people are friendly, management knows what they are doing. there is constructive input from everyone around me.

Cons

CVS runs a tight ship, this is of course to stay competitive.. other than that really have nothing bad to say about this company. It is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front lines and you will do fine. You dont have to take their advice and use it, just keep an open ear. I find far too often management makes decisions based on what they think and not whats actually happening.

2. "I was very pleased with my internship experience. It provided me a meaningful summer project."

Current Employee - Intern in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Intern in Woonsocket, RI

Pros

Family environment, competitive salary, meaningful work

Cons

Corporate culture makes it difficult at times to complete projects due to the number of managers that must approve of your work

Advice to Management

Overall, I was very pleased with my experience! Great work!

3. "Learned a lot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Greenwich, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Greenwich, RI

Pros

Promotes within the company for management

Cons

Extremely high expectations for the amount of hours they alott

Advice to Management

more hours

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Manager in Woonsocket, RI

Pros

Talented leadership
    Growth potential
    Review structure offers great visibility into how your performance is viewed by management

Cons

Bureaucracy
    Benefits were expensive
    Management needs to update with this times

"Lightning strikes twice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the second time in my life that I wake up and can't wait to get to work. I love the company, and my job.
    The corporate culture is sensitive to employee performance and genuinely committed to personal growth and success. There are numerous opportunities to learn more through the internal CBT system, LearnNET. The people are all open and friendly, and always open to new members, and will at least listen to new ideas, even when they are already committed to another plan.

Cons

can be confusing to navigate the culture
    can be frustrating learning the rules of how to interact
    remote management can result in managers being out of touch with whats going on, on the ground where the front line staff are.
    There is very little tolerance for expressing any judgement. Even a wrong tone of voice can get you a meeting with your manager/director/VP depending on your level. This can be frustrating. However, there is always an opportunity to change and improve, and anyone will help you to understand and adapt.

Advice to Management

having your manager in a different location can be a bit frustrating. sometimes it feels like my manager is out of touch with my responsibilities' challenges. as a result, I can never be sure if I have their support in my decisions. In addition, when my actions are comments on by others, sometimes, my manager jumps to a conclusion rather than ask me about the issue. My manager is inconsistent in the support, which make me hesitate to act, sometimes.

6. "Somewhere to grow and expand your career"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always Innovative and expanding company

Cons

Communication with in groups can be improved

Advice to Management

Transparency to employees can help team atmosphere

7. "Challenging and Rewarding opportunity at a Fortune 13 Company"

Current Employee - Recruiting in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging environment; Extenisve learning opportunities; Career growth and development; Positive corporate financial position; Commitment to health and well being of staff, community and partners; international presence

Cons

Lack of integration of separate business units; Slow to adopt emerging technologies and efficiencies; Work/Life balance; lack of partnership between internal business partners

Advice to Management

Provide better communication to front line staff; eliminate reliance on dated practices and technologies

8. "Great team, great leadership, great company"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Coventry, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Coventry, RI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and management. Great hours and plenty to do while working. Easy to stay busy and productive.

Cons

Sometimes the store is understaffed for busy hours/days

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits. Once you start here and find the right department you will probably never leave. Try to find a mentor to help lead you.

Cons

Once you get in the company it can be hard to move up. Network - and don't give up keep trying. You will find your way.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a gym.

"Hope to STAY at CVS"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, bonus, experience, opportunity to learn and grow. They take employee engagement seriously.

I have a great boss today (can't always say that has been true). Good bosses help make all the difference.

If you don't like where you are or are looking to learn something new, you can always move to another department or group. This company is so large, there's always opportunities to continue to learn and grow.

Cons

I'll start by saying I LOVE CVS and while I have worked here long enough to be able to document quite a few cons... none of this makes me appreciate the company any less. There are things in any company that could be improved. CVS seems to be dedicated to improve and continues to put a high degree of focus on their employee engagement scores and improving things. Here are some of the areas I have listed as cons:

Recent lowering of bonus % through 'harmonization' made the bonus program less competitive and could cost great candidates.

Being here at CVS for over seven years, I have had about nine different supervisors. There's alot of re-organization that happens on the IT side. That can be a real negative, since it takes time to build a relationship with your supervisor and help move your career along. If you keep getting reorg'd it's easy to get lost and frustrated with a lack of promotion / advancement, especially in the very large IT structure.

The number of females and ethic people at the VP / Sr. VP level is not nearly where it should be. There's a way to go there, although they are improving with recent promotions of women at the upper management positions. Need to keep focusing on diversity. It's painful to keep seeing great candidates overlooked for forty to fifty-something white men with less talent.

Promotion from within could be better... many times we get a new exec that brings a big list of people from their former company. More recently with CIO / CTO and VP of Programs all coming from Avaya have had an influx of people from Avaya taking over top spots under them. It's very de-motivating for those who worked at CVS and are worthy and deserving of those positions to be overlooked as they continue to bring in new people.

I agree with others that middle-management really needs training / improvement. I have only had one really good manager who could motivate people and really make individuals feel appreciated. The other eight or sp were not good managers at all. Since I was self-motivated, I made the best of it, but I could see some individuals become very apathetic and service suffered.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with Values in Action. Harmonization, lowering % of bonus dollars was a real negative. The competitive bonus program became much less so and may cost you some great candidates.

Do some training at the management levels. Their behavior can make the difference in productivity and performance of your employees and can also contribute to turnover.

Promote more from within - put some goals around it to Management. Make it known that qualified individuals will be able to climb the ladder.

Showing 402 of 11,580 reviews