CVS Health Reviews in Rhode Island | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Systems Analyst"

Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Coventry, RI
    Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Coventry, RI

I worked at CVS Health as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company growth and success speaks for itself

Cons

very low compensation compared to market

"The cons outweigh the pros...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people work for CVS. Decent salaries.

Cons

Never knew exactly what was expected of you because the requirements of the job changed frequently. Upper management seemed to not care for their employees. Poor benefits, especially health and time off.

"Low Morale and Very Heavy Workload"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Cumberland, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Cumberland, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge company with name recognition. Opportunities to work from home.

Cons

This is really an abusive company to most everyone and morale is currently low across the board. Nobody has it good. It's a very hard company to work for whether you're a performer or not. Work hours are very long, and you are generally not rewarded for it.

The upside is that working here will make you appreciate your next position that much more. This is coming from someone who is a performer and doing well in the company. I feel bad for others who don't even have it as good, and have to say I'm embarrassed to work here.

Advice to Management

A nice word or some encouragement from time to time would go a long way. The risk now is that a large number of key people who know what they're doing and have good experience are unhappy and are looking to leave at the next opportunity.

It will snowball as the work piles up and the resources leave if you don't start taking care of your people.

4. "A big corporation"

Former Employee - Advisor in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Advisor in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lot of people in the Woonsocket corporate office. You get to meet and work with a lot of smart ones.

Cons

CVS has grown by acquisition of a lot of smaller companies over a period of twenty years. There is a culture of its own, but has a myriad of culture brought in from all these different firms.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and grow even bigger. Healthcare is poised for huge growth in the coming years!

"Impossible"

Current Employee - Store Manager In Training in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Store Manager In Training in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is not bad and there are flexible hours.

Cons

The job you are asked to do is truly impossible. As a manager, you will be given enough hours to ring people out at register. If you want time to do even basic things like stock your shelves, you'll have to do that somewhere outside of your normal 45 hour work week.

Many managers work 60+ hour work weeks. That's what you need basically to keep the doors open. I wouldn't recommend it for any long length of time.

Advice to Management

Staff stores enough so customers don't wonder if we're going out of business.

"Extremely political, toxic environment, gang mentality at work, no change in C-suite in forever. Unfair comp practices"

Current Employee - Senior Strategy Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Strategy Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to many businesses and industries within the same company.

Cons

Management is horrendous. No leadership development. Unfair compensation policies. Bell curve causing green talent to leave.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bell curve, it is costing you talent. Combine this with C-suite level reassignments every few years.

7. "CVS Health is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Director, Inventory Management in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Inventory Management in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Purpose Driven
    -Growing Industry
    -Assets of a Fortune 7 company to fund innovation and growth
    -Lots of great people to work with
    -highly collaborative culture

Cons

Sometimes the culture on the retail side of the business can be a bit conservative, but overall the culture has evolved a lot over the past 10 years and the trajectory and rate of evolution is very positive.

Advice to Management

-Institute a more comprehensive telecommuting policy.
    -Focus resources on the biggest / most important priorities and actively ensure that the leaders running point on them are free of other distractions and that they are adequately supported with analytics horsepower.

"Good experience for somoene just launching thier career, but not for a longer term."

Former Employee - Senior Director in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

• Fortune 10 Company right outside of Boston – reverse commute
    • Agile organization once a decision is made
    • Good organization for someone to launch their career – but don’t plan on staying.

Cons

• No one wants to own the decision-making process.
    • Excessive use of contractors for work and vendors for decisions.
    • Managers look out for themselves and do not develop their people.
    • You’re disposable if you haven’t been there for 10 years or not aligned with someone higher up – people's skills and applicable experience have no value. Very antiquated management styles.
    • Base salaries below industry average keeping good talent away, health benefits are considerably expensive, but stock options help make up for it.
    • With new market dynamics, outlook feels neutral at best.

Advice to Management

Would require a serious long-term plan to clean up your reputation of poor people management in the industry.

9. "Corporate has no idea what it's like to work at the store level and it shows."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Providence, RI

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liked my fellow employees, supervisor and store manager. We bonded through the hardships we had to face at this particularly stressful CVS location. Good job if you have a criminal background - some of my coworkers had records from 5/7 years ago. Many other jobs look back a lot further than that so CVS was a job they could actually get. Also there was no drug screening even though they sent an email saying they would... Druggies and criminals, here's the job for you!

Cons

Be ready to be forced to greet every customer like a robot as they walk in. Make sure to ask every customer if they need help or else you could loose your job. CVS sends out these surveys to customers that rate their experience 1-5, if they give you a 4 it's just as bad as a 1 and brings your entire store's score down. They then pit the stores up against one another and will have no hesitation in firing or moving your store manager to another location with little to no notice if these scores drop below an arbitrary number. I actually like working with people and helping out customers but being forced to say so many scripted lines was truly soul sucking. There's no way you can actually give good customer service to the person standing in front of you if you're simultaneously have to greet, answer phones and ask each customer at least 3 different scripted questions. If you sign up to be a cashier be ready to also become a stocker and unload trucks, possibly outside in heavy snow depending on your location. If you are part time they will schedule you 29.75 hours per week instead of 30 hours to make sure that you always miss receiving benefits by 15 minutes. They consider a 3% yearly raise an especially gracious gift while most of the staff receives nothing. We would constantly get conflicting instruction from corporate and the store manager. He would fire one employee suddenly for overriding coupons and then tell the rest of the staff that we should still override coupons in order to compete with the other CVS's in the district in scores. Corporate would tell us to almost never override certain coupons. Basically this guy would have us all override coupons just to be able to to have a reason to fire certain employees. Witnessed an employee get fired over a 10 cent gift card. A customer gave it to her because she had no use for 10 cents, when the employee used it she was flagged in the system and corporate loss prevention came down and interrogated her for over an hour about anything else that could be happening in the store (nothing was happening and nothing further was found). She was then let out the back door in tears and banned from the store.

Find a job somewhere else....unless you simply can't get another job, have a criminal background, are 15 and it's your first job or only other option is one of those marketing/selling pyramid scheme jobs than go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

It's extremely obvious that higher up coprporate employee has ever worked in a CVS. Please just put the top branches into work at a store for a week and it would give the entire company some perspective. I'd like to see dignity back in the work place. Don't force your employees to act like robots and score 100% on these surveys which are realistically unachievable. It's absolutely soul sucking to have to go by a script at the front register. Sometimes it sounds a lot more genuine and is actually more helpful to the customer if the employee can just be allowed to provide good service without having to go back to the "Anything else I can help you with?" script. The GOT Heart monthly evaluations are a joke. No matter how much you change your behavior or try to genuinely do better they come out the same and employees just completely find it a joke. We all just put generic responses to it every month because there's only so many ways you can phrase "make sure you call for back up when 3 customers are in line".

Also, quit ripping off the employees with the "employee discount" program. Anything on sale is excluded from employee discount which is usually 30% off for CVS brand and 20% everything else. If an item is buy one get one 50% off employees can't get just one item 30% off, if they buy just one item it's considered excluded from the employee discount and suddenly becomes full price. We constantly have to make sure that the item isn't on sale so that we can get some sort of employee discount.

10. "Could be better, could be worse"

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Providence, RI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody that works there is nice, I get a lot of hours

Cons

Disorganized, understaffed, few breaks, long hours

Showing 376 of 10,821 reviews