CVS Health Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"15 year manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. "CVS health"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very family oriented an very good training.

Cons

Always under staffed which makes it difficult.

"Store Manager Review"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (401K, Stock options, 2 Weeks Vacation, etc)
    Decent bonus opportunities

Cons

Constant changing of upper management (I have had four District Managers in 1.5 years)

NO WORK LIFE BALANCE (this is partially caused by cashier/shift manager issues), if no coverage can be found for a call out, Store Manager is required to stay late or come in on an off day.

Constant cutting of hours but workload is still high.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to work in stores for one week and see that cutting hours and increasing workloads while trying to keep metrics above targets is almost an impossible task. Store Managers have little say-so in stores anymore, micromanagement is strong.

4. "Good and Bad!"

Current Employee - Store Manager In Training in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager In Training in Appleton, WI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with some great people and was able to have a pretty flexable schedule depite having to work 2 nights a week, every other weekend, and some holidays.

Cons

Upper management was poor. Store managers either worked their butt off or did nothing. Overall i knew the only way i would progress up is if someone quit or got fired since it was clear that no new stores were opening up any time soon.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and be humble.

"Don't do it!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting great employees and customers.

Cons

Low scheduling budgets that leave gaps in the schedule in turn lead to unsafe work environments. Pharmacists will whine if they don't get their way. Front store is always left on the back burner to support pharmacy, even if it means we are the only ones up front for the entire day. Labor required by store manager to run a good store is around 60 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending 69 billion dollars on buying Aetna, set your stores up for success rather than cutting their hours.

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Florence, SC

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding and challenging job. Opportunity to learn something new everyday. Work with a great team who challenges themselves to be better each and every day. Many great programs in place intended to improve the guest experience

Cons

Poor labor model for stores. Large disconnect between well intended programs and actually being able to implement those said programs. Many great ideas but unfortunately the rubber doesn’t meet the road.

Advice to Management

Don’t write off employee feedback as “disgruntled worker”. We just want to succeed and improve the company.

7. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Northampton, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Northampton, PA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at all. Not one I can think of. Run and run fast! This is not a company that anyone with a work ethic would want to be a part of

Cons

Everything about this company is horrible. Professionalism, communication, work ethic, accountability, knowledge of how to run a store from managers to hire ups is non existent. Just run and run fast from this company

Advice to Management

There is so much advice I can give but it wouldn’t do any good.

8. "Store Manager in Training"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with pharmacists, nurse practitioners, and techs, reminding you that caring for people is the most important part. Nothing over 50lbs to lift, closest is a pack of 6 gallon waters, 48lbs. Simple focus of customer first, then product stocking. If you can get that down quick, it’s all easy. Stocking, payroll, smile.

Cons

No time to chat with Co-workers, repetitive tasking, and random hours depending on management at the time. There are no other cons that I have.

Advice to Management

Don’t overstock food department

9. "Tough but fair."

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Acted as a business owner, coach and mentor to a great team.

Cons

Red tape, constant pressure to attain results and limited training.

Advice to Management

Coach your colleagues more.

"CVS has been challenging and disappointing in equal measures."

Current Employee - Store Manager CVS in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager CVS in Allen, TX

I have been working at CVS Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

The relationships you make with your peers and teams are invaluable and long lasting. Your customers appreciate you and make your day enjoyable. Stores are neat and uncluttered.

Cons

High turnover rates due to non-competive pay. Payroll limits your ability to run store effectively creating a highly stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Do what you can to keep good employees like adding benefits, or more competitive pay. You can't always find someone who can do the job better for cheaper...