CVS Health Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Hired"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Cashier in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Cashier in Vienna, VA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, good overall atmosphere, fun job; trusting employer. Very family like community. They encourage you to be your best

Cons

They try to force you into things and walk over you until you stand up for yourself and don’t let them. It prepares you for life but kinda sucks max

"Pharmacy Technician/ Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the leading community pharmacies in the US and growing.

Cons

Extreme imbalance between amount of work and number of employees scheduled to work at a given time.

Advice to Management

This is an advise to the company as a whole, please realize that you're only as good as the worth you give to your employees and employee satisfaction matters; employees are only going to be there as long as they're satisfied with their compensation of all kinds, and it's easy to get better compensation elsewhere when you're just focusing on CVS without regarding the employees that makes CVS!

3. "cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great discounts. Had friendly co workers.

Cons

not enough employees

4. "Bottle-line oriented; heavily focused on corporate achievement - corporate extends to PICs and Store Managers; stagnant"

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pharmacy duties and the opportunities to master various management; learning and understanding your patients' health history to serve them better. A drive to succeed (self-generated) in hopes of being recognized.

Cons

Heavily metric oriented that both fail at truly determining the tasks at hand (you can serve a 1000 customers with supreme customer service gain 2 to 3 good reviews, but all it takes is one person to rate me below a 5 and we lose major points that entire week/month.)

The company has a great plan towards leading people to a better quality of life and they push metrics to get us there, however, they seem to have no concept of employee happiness. Hours fluctuate far too heavy, no consistency where it matters, all the money they make is focused on Corporate, Shareholders, Pharmacists, medication purchasing and business diversification, i.e. purchase of Target, Rhode Island pharmacy chain, Aetna in play.

Management no pharmacists are interested in bucking the system, highly complacent and discouraging when I or others pursue opportunities to have a discussion with corporate managers concerning the issues at hand or to make one's case about a decent, pay raise I believe I have earned.

Industry in general doesn't seem to value the Pharmacy Technician position as the gate keepers see no value in increasing stronger responsibilities, licensing, certifications and clinical pay recognition. I think their view is "It's just a job any high school kid can do so..."

No Regular days off swaps with other peers, when you actually use a sick day it doesn't get processed into your pay for reasons I have yet to get any answers. DC law States every employee gets 7 days of paid leave a year I think, but it seems management circumvents that with a need for a medical note from doctor.

CVS is nowhere close to Fortune's 100 BCTWF and I am certain they can't be within S&P either. If they are it's a lie. Flat out. All corporate employees and Pharmacists getting paid $120K per year writing in.

Standing on one's feet for beyond 8 hours with no other support from a needed PT peer or rare help from front store.

...we tend to think that teamwork and the rewards from it supersedes money earnings, however, living in DMV, how do I give my best to company that has no provision of reducing my financial hardships because it doesn't want pay PTs a salary that allows them to truly care for themselves, their families and Patients?

With personal values and faith in Christ, that self ambition and motivation to see the silver lining goes only so far up until the reality of sleeping in your car during very cold night wakes you up in the middle of the night. You're forced to use the restroom in a bottle, running from 7 Eleven begging them to use their restroom only to keep hearing, "Its broken."

I can no longer invest my time with a company not interested in my wellbeing moreso than it's clientele. With over 20 years of customer service, I can adamantly state - if you truly meet your entry level employees' life needs through great work/life balances of time, career opportunities, solid training, appreciation and more, they will make the company soar in both business core values, business growth and company profits.

Payscale shows I am currently being underpaid nationally, but the pay I saw wouldn't change much because I can't afford the rents within the DC,MD,VA area. And that stretches further than Woodbridge, VA.

CVS is not a good company to work for at all.

Advice to Management

Study Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For and look deeply into the criteria by which they rate these companies by. Compare yourself honestly and change the overall business model currently being focused on, then create the necessary groundwork to highly improve these areas and watch us become better partners to make CVS a Fortune's 100 Best.

"Advancement based on performance"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair compensation. Nice benefits. Diverse work force. Ability to advance

Cons

Support staff and field management are driven by results.

Advice to Management

Long hours, productivity expected and adherence to all company programs.

6. "Shift Supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. Duties assigned are attainable.

Cons

High turnover. The PT hours business need to be reconsidered along with full health benefits.

Advice to Management

As long as employees qualify for ACA health benefits and food stamps, there is a problem. You're using the government to supply your benefits and that's not right.

7. "Pharmacy Tech"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Manassas, VA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, could be better.

Cons

Head pharmacist was horrible. He favored women all the time. Hours sucked and the training was too long

8. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Washington, DC

Pros

Good health insurance and 401k matching. Discounts with card after 90 days of employment

Cons

Depends on your coworkers. It can be difficult with bad technicians or easy with good technicians

9. "Shift supervisor"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Hollywood, MD
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Hollywood, MD

I worked at CVS Health (More than a year)

Pros

None at this time. And never will be.

Cons

Overworked, under payed, taken advantaged

Advice to Management

To all District managers. When there is a blizzard, and the National Guard says get off the roads and go home, don't stop your employees from living. Just saying.

10. "Less than a year experience with CVS Health"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary. very good benefits available to full time employees. Convenient locations with parking reimbursement. Opportunities for advancement available for anyone.

Cons

Management is irresponsible and unable to properly staff pharmacies. Often have to work overtime unpaid to pick up after mess.

Showing 203 of 12,036 reviews