CWS Apartment Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
CWS Apartment Homes President Gary Carmell
Gary Carmell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • d say being closed on Sunday is a nice perk for office team members and they do give you a clothing allowance but it (in 5 reviews)

• They fly you to Texas which where the corporate office is and makes you feel truly apart of a great company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance is hard (in 3 reviews)

• High employee turnover (SAYS A LOT when long term employees leave) (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Pretty Amazing Place To Work - CWS Apartment Homes"

Current Employee - Special Projects Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Special Projects Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CWS Apartment Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Would you want to be empowered? Wanna work with REALLY caring individuals doing what you love to do. CWS believes in their folks and they look internally for the ones who are ready for their next step up. They also look for outstanding people with values similar to theirs that also have passion and skills to bring into the fold.
       CWS, from the bottom to the top of the company, believes, and lives, their core set of values. Here they are: A demand for excellence with a sense of urgency, a respect for people, requirement for profitability and sustainability, honoring our word and ethical dealings are paramount. CWS is the place! A Pretty Amazing Place To Work.

Cons

They make you enjoy coming to work. Treat you with respect, value and honesty. Provide a wealth of training. And here it comes......continual open communication and where what you say has meaning in the conversation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Aug 21, 2017 – Digital Marketing Director

Wow! What a great testimonial of your experience with CWS Apartment Homes. We love that you listed our core values and witness them in action every day. Thank you for being a CWS brand ambassador and... More

2. "Finding the Anomaly in the industry!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at CWS Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

This is a fantastic organization that cares about you which I feel is leaning toward the anomaly in the property management industry. They expect work but they appreciate it and reward it. There is a very strong sense of community and work family here. Great leadership to look up to.

Cons

Do not have actual "cons" to share, the only item that seems to be shared is that the company has some growing pains and the policies have trouble keeping up.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue listening to your employees and you will continue going in the right direction.

3. "Great Company & Culture"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CWS Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice company culture, benefits, vacation, some growth opportunities. Nice properties, awesome training program. They fly you to Texas which where the corporate office is and makes you feel truly apart of a great company!

Cons

Any cons I've had the company truly addressed. One they raised the commissions. The hourly rate could still be higher. Especially when employees couldn't afford to live on property without the 20% discount and it's still a struggle with the discount.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and the best is still yet to come!

4. "Unique, Supportive Work Environment"

Current Employee - Information Systems Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Information Systems Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CWS Apartment Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CWS is a company that supports and encourages its employees by stressing its core values. More than just words on the back of a business card, the CWS values drive every interaction between the 3 groups of people we impact: our residents, our investors, and our employees. When we all follow those core values, the resulting work place is one where the atmosphere is supportive, respectful, encouraging, and challenging. The company's focus on life balance, wellness and charitable giving (see our B.R.I.D.G.E. program) are examples of the values in action. Our corporate mechanism for recognizing positive contributions, YouEarnedIt, allows anyone in the company to recognize anyone else in the company by giving points that can be redeemed for gift cards. It's great to be able to recognize your supervisor.. and to want to! I'm about to start my 10th year with CWS and can't imagine myself anywhere else.

Cons

I really have not experienced anything negative. Sometimes the pace can be quite demanding but that is true anywhere you work.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on our values and in new technologies as you have been doing over the last 50 years. Developing the next generation of company leaders to continue the leadership trends of our founders should help us stay in business another 50 years!

5. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at CWS Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

Apparel card, rental discount, paid birthday off each year, monthly sales meetings, opportunities for advancement, good commission scale, flexible scheduling, growing company, follows values

Cons

LOTS of different departments that don't always communicate with one another, lots of work that seems like busy work with little to no explanation, health insurance isn't the best (you do get three different options to choose from), some favoritism within the company when it comes to promotions

Advice to Management

You are doing a GREAT job! Sometimes it would be nice if certain changes, new procedures, etc. were explained to more than just the CD's as they are not always the ones carrying out the tasks. Doing something everyday and not knowing the reason behind why you are doing it is not very rewarding.

6. "Don’t work here! Very disappointed"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at CWS Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately after my experience the only pro that I have is that I made some good friends and loved my team. Other than that I have nothing

Cons

Short staffing, lack of support from upper management, no positive feedback ALWAYS negative, doesn’t listen to what you actually need to make things work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Don’t talk to members of a staff unless everyone is present. Very unprofessional. Don’t pit employees against each other. Listen to feedback about what your properties need. We are the ones on site. The biggest thing you could do is say something positive! Working on site is tough. It’s what we do but it is a beat down when every time upper management comes on site there is nothing positive said to anyone. You aren’t the ones dealing with resident issues, daily work load, packaged, and trying to make sure everything always looks perfect. One resident can take up 2 hours if there is an issue.

"Beware honesty isn’t important from upper management. You will operate on a skeleton crew always as well."

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CWS Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely NONE, but I’d say being closed on Sunday is a nice perk for office team members and they do give you a clothing allowance but it’s sold to like they pay for them but you contribute $25 per paycheck so when you get that $550 gift card twice a year that’s not 100% from the company.

Cons

To many chiefs and not enough Indians. Literally once you learn of all the departments over this and another department over that department.

Advice to Management

Listen to your onsite team. Not someone sitting in office in Austin who argues over pricing, renewals etc.

A true leader will speak to staff that's sitting off the front door when you walk in and of all people it's the CEO of the company.

8. "Overall good company"

I have been working at CWS Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

Worked with some great people, made lasting friendships.

Cons

Regional Manager not too friendly

Nov 6, 2017 – Digital Marketing Director

Thank you for taking a moment to give us a review! We are glad to see you have created meaningful relationships with fellow team members. At CWS, we believe our people are one of our greatest assets... More

9. "Leasing consultant"

I worked at CWS Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, that's all.

Cons

Little growth opportunity, Work every weekend, required to wear high heels, you get secret shopped continuously.

Nov 6, 2017 – Digital Marketing Director

We thank you for taking a moment to fill out a review of your experience with CWS! It is great to hear you felt our benefits and compensation were competitive.

We are disappointed to see the... More

10. "Great Starting Company"

Former Employee - Leasing
    Former Employee - Leasing

I worked at CWS Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My first job in leasing started with this company. Almost everyone was friendly. A huge perk for me, we received an apparel shopping card. :-)

Cons

Leasing commissions could be a lot better. They only offered $50 per lease.

Sep 2, 2017 – Digital Marketing Director

Thank you for your review of CWS Apartment Homes! We are glad your first experience with the multifamily industry was positive, and we are happy to have been part of your professional journey!

We... More