Cabela's Gun Counter Reviews | Glassdoor

Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "For part time employees more communication" (in 59 reviews)

• "Also, Cabelas has seemed to really enbrace their Visa credit card where management is constantly pressuring you to push which can be very annoying" (in 59 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Former Employee - Gun Counter in Kearney, NE
    Former Employee - Gun Counter in Kearney, NE

I worked at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee's are given great opportunities for discounts, Will gain knowledge

Cons

Management seemed to butt heads but all-in-all nice place of employment.

Advice to Management

RELAX

2. "How to Kebab your future"

Former Employee - Gun Counter in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Gun Counter in West Chester, OH

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Employees, great Atmosphere. Great Discounts, Was definitely more of a family work ethic and feel to the company, before corporate ruined the experience for a lot of Outfitters.

Cons

Corporate, Bass Pro Buyout, HR

Advice to Management

I was one of the original Hires for the West Chester Store in Ohio. We had one of the best Grand opening teams I have ever seen in terms of raw talent and drive. It was fantastic to be part of such an electric team and family. I keep in contact with some of my former employees and co-workers because the bonds we made there were that strong. Since opening Corporate has dwindled this fantastic store down to a literal smoking husk of what it once was. So many wonderful employees were cut loose unexpectedly due to Corporate re-assigning the stores Level in rank 1-5 rating. We opened as a 2 (2nd highest level in the company)- its now a 4 (2nd from lowest). We opened as a two rating due to sheer square footage and local order draws from frequently ordered zip codes in the area. I Scrambled to find my co-workers who were let go unexpectedly other jobs in the Cincinnati area in the Firearms industry. That's how much we all cared about each other. Corporate blundered during the months leading to our grand opening with a 2nd shop opening less than 40 miles up the road from us later that year, and that pretty much sealed the fate of both stores. As both locations were too close to be destination stations in their own rights, as the next closest was in Columbus. With the enormous lay-offs from grand opening on forward, and the recent Buy-out from Bass Pro, it has done them no favors. Employees have lost the rights to discounts on most all items, one of the main reasons to work for Cabelas. New Direction and management have made the store cut-throat and less inviting, and it shows on every employees face. It truly is a tragic story of a great company, being whittled down to K-Mart level retail.

Before the Buyout Cableas was definitely a place where if you could put the time in, and prove your worth. you could make a genuine career out of it. With all the variety the company had to offer previously it was truly magnificent. Now all those extra programs, Outfitter events, Hunt Expeditions and Guide Programs have left the building for good.

"Gun Counter - Lack of Leadership, Knowledge and Customer Service"

Former Employee - Outfitter - Gun Counter in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Outfitter - Gun Counter in Springfield, OR

I worked at Cabela's (More than a year)

Pros

Customers. Great people are attracted to shop at the store, and the products are very good. Beautiful stores which make for a great working atmosphere. Employee discounts are worthwhile, I suspect there were more than a few folks who worked there just to get the discount

Cons

Pay is low, and stays that way. That was okay with me, I wasn't doing this job for the money...but others might not be in the same boat.

A lot of people working at the gun counter were not really "gun guys"; many of them had only a few guns themselves, and really didn't know that much about the products. Management was even worse in this respect.

There was a curious thing I observed during the time I was there, that I never fully understood; the best, most motivated, most courteous, most knowledgeable employees were always the ones who management chose to let go. The guy that knew every gun backward and forward, and could explain the differences between the various models? The one who would guide the new shooter through the aisles, explaining the stuff he/she would need? The one who was eager and happy to pull a gun out from the counter or off the rack, regardless of whether the customer was looking like a serious buyer? That is the guy they'd put out the door, and save the ignorant, lazy jaw-jackers who treated the customers like annoyances or worse.

I'm not sure if it was a strategy on the part of management to eliminate possible rivals should their own incompetence be exposed, or if it was simply poor decision making and an inability to grasp that the guys who hung out with them in the gun safe area, slapping their backs and telling jokes, were actually their worst employees. But either way, it didn't take long for me to figure out that if a person was too competent at the job, they weren't going to last. Over the years I've met many other ex-employees who had similar tales to tell.

"My time at cabelas"

Former Employee - Gun Counter Associate in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Gun Counter Associate in Lehi, UT

I worked at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great discounts
    amazing people...most of the time
    if you love guns...then you'll sometimes feel like you are in a candy store

Cons

customers can be difficult sometimes
    make you work longer hours than planned
    overworked during holiday hours

Advice to Management

give the people more incentives to stay like time off or increase pay

"Look at a competitor first for gun sales"

Former Employee - Gun Counter in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Gun Counter in Omaha, NE

I worked at Cabela's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to talk about guns all day.
    The manufacturer discount is great.

Cons

This company is not competitive with benefits or pay at all.
    In omaha, I can just go to scheels and work gun sales there and make commission on every sale! The guys there make 15 to 20 dollars an hour.

Cabelas card only pays $1 if someone signs up for their visa, competitors pay $5 to the employee.

Cabelas has a tiered structure for their discount meaning you will have to work there for 7 years before you get the full discount which is cost + shipping. other competitors offer the same thing right off the bat.

Advice to Management

Shop around at your competition Tommy Millner ! Your compensation is lacking soo much that I cant afford to even use the discount, but I know you dont even care.

The reason you can hire or keep good employees is because your compensation is not competitive.

Tommy you shouldn't build so many stores that you have to fire off all you employees at corporate headquarters. To anyone reading this, it should be a sign of a very poorly run company.

6. "If you go to work for them make sure you get everything down in writing."

Former Employee - Gun Counter in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Gun Counter in Noblesville, IN

I worked at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work and the discounts are great the employees that you work with are nice. Not more to say

Cons

They will not work with your schedule if you are part time. Make sure you get everything down in writing.

Advice to Management

They need to train the interviewers better

7. "Has it's ups and downs, but there are a lot of good opportunities to further yourself in the company if you work at it."

Former Employee - Gun Counter in La Vista, NE
    Former Employee - Gun Counter in La Vista, NE

I worked at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be fun working here depending on who the managers are at the time. Discounts can be good if you use the provided website that trains you on products and gives you a discount after you learn about them.

Cons

It is a corporate company and it definitely shows. Providing "legendary customer service" seems more like a catchy line than the truth. Basic level employees are told to do things a certain way and when the customer complains a manager is brought over and does the opposite; this makes the lower level employee look like a jerk.

Advice to Management

Give people on the front line trying to make sales more flexibility when helping the customer. Even providing minor discounts to help someone who has been wronged is too difficult of a process.

8. "Great for retired people, not a career track."

Former Employee - PT Camping/Hunting/Gun Counter in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - PT Camping/Hunting/Gun Counter in Lacey, WA

I worked at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts
    Health insurance for non seasonal part timers.
    Fun products.
    Great technology tools to help you do your job.

Cons

Understaffed on the sales floor
    Publicly traded company concerned only with the stock.
    Will only give you a full time job if you have completely open availability. (No college students, you can't go to school and work full time.
    Forced to sell club Visa cards really hard.

Advice to Management

Staff the floor better!!!

"Decent Company in Regression"

Former Employee - Gun Counter Outfitter in Scarborough, ME
    Former Employee - Gun Counter Outfitter in Scarborough, ME

I worked at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting and helping people interested in the outdoors. Employee discount. Most of the other outfitters were good people to work with.

Cons

Being forced to hawk credit cards to customers and receiving very little compensation for our efforts. Anyone who isn't management is expendable, replaceable. Management at the store I worked at was mired in hubris; thought they were smarter than the outfitters that worked the front line everyday. I had issues with my legs (multiple surgeries) and asked for mats behind the gun counter and nothing was ever done.

Advice to Management

Stop being so paranoid in regards to your outfitters. Listen to what Gun Counter Outfitters say in regards to customers they find suspicious. These outfitters take pride in their work. Pride is all they have, because pay isn't commensurate to the knowledge and customer service some give. I am amazed how some poor employees are still there while amazing outfitters have been fired because the Quarterly Report looks better when there are less people on the payroll. The way Cabela's hires and fires was getting ridiculous when I left.

"Frustrating being managed by managers who have little or no management skill."

Current Employee - Gun Counter in Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Gun Counter in Dundee, MI

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to see & promote cutting edge sport and hobby items. Work with many interesting persons whom are knowledgeable about these products and there uses.

Cons

Poor management. Things are run by retail oriented business types from NE with no input from those who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your workers and appreciate that many have much more to offer.