Cabela's Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to get extra hours or even get full time status (in 44 reviews)

• For part time employees more communication (in 43 reviews)

"Despite turmoil with merger, good place to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are very nice, talented people.

Cons

The executive leadership could not be worse.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people. They want to be their best for you, but the secrecy surrounding the merger makes it hard to get there.

2. "A lot of fun working here"

Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Lacey, WA
    Current Employee - Firearms Outfitter in Lacey, WA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount on Cabela's gear is outstanding. I love the environment. I'm around the things I love. The people I work with are awesome.

Cons

Hours can sometimes be an issue. Not everyone is awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep summit on Cabela's gear.

3. "Overall a great place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Outfitter in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Outfitter in Allen, TX

I worked at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Fun place to work
    *Co-workers are friendly
    *Great break room (inside and outside)
    *Feel like part of the team within your first week
    *Talking with customers often turns into a conversation rather than a boring sales pitch
    *Get to work with your hands
    *Get to test products all the time
    *Often get the opportunity to learn/improve outdoor hobbies while working
    *Great discount opportunities through the store and even better discounts through other sources that are only granted to employees
    *Great traditions
    *Most managers are nice and understanding
    *Got to wear jeans w/cowboy boots everyday
    *Opportunity to move up
    *Very easy call-in number for when you are running late, calling in sick etc. Call goes directly to a voicemail and you only talk to that.

Cons

*Schedules are made 3 weeks out, making it difficult to ask off for days in advance
    *Customers alway come in and try to hassle you for better deals, and then get mad at you when you cant because you aren't authorized. this happens a lot.
    *There is a lot to learn and it can be easy to forget/ignore after youre done with training
    *Customer theft is very high
    *Swapping shifts is very difficult if you don't have coworker phone numbers, which Cabelas doesn't give out, even for managers numbers. This is very frustrating and is the only business like this that i've seen operate this way.
    *Scheduling is all on paper and has no online presence, which is very inconvenient.
    *Management is "strict" on tardiness and how many breaks you take, however I must have fallen between the cracks because I often would clock in more than 5 minutes late and i ALWAYS took either long lunches or more breaks than allowed or both. But this was not the case for everyone so don't expect it.

Advice to Management

Management should be more open to letting employees explore other departments. I had been working in my department for my first several months and i learned it pretty well and our department was very understaffed. In my last months our department was overstaffed with over 8 people(which is a lot for a softline department) so i asked management for permission to start spending some time in a hardline department(departments with more revenue and experience). So for my last month or two i worked in this department, which was very understaffed, and i loved it had the opportunity to learn a new sport which i now love. Then through miscommunications with managers i was told to never go back to that department very rudely and head back to my overstaffed department which i had grown out of. One manager wanted me in the hardline department and my softline manager wanted me to spend more time in his department. so this blew up and resulted in them very rudely telling me to never go back to that department where i had now befriended all the employees in it and gotten comfortable in. This was just one of a few instances where management handled things poorly through their errors and i was fed up so i quit right then and there. Came back for one more shift during my two weeks and left early and never came back. The management became a real problem.

5. "Great Employment"

Current Employee - Ammo Outfitter in Tulalip, WA
    Current Employee - Ammo Outfitter in Tulalip, WA

I have been working at Cabela's (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation Commission Discounts Employees Hours.

Cons

None None None None None.

Advice to Management

None

"If you don't mind working for $10 an hr."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GM is great. Offers and provides food most weekends to the Outfitters -- this is not true for all Cabela locations. Full-time employees do have benefits, but you must stay on top of knowing about them on your own. HR will not be willing to inform you of them.

Cons

Management tends to be a 'boys club with fraternity-like environment." Hours are cut, as with any retail environment, during the winter months. But then added back when the seasons are good for hunting, fishing and camping. Says it is a family-type work environment, but that is not the case. Managers do not nurture and develop. Some people tend to excel quicker than others--its in who is the 'favored' person at the time.

Advice to Management

HR has no concept of true HR does. She dresses way too provocative, in my opinion, for an HR. In addition, speaks poorly of some of the Outfitters in front of others. Careful who you trust! When all men managers are in her office and the door is closed and nothing is head but laughter, very loud, for over 40 minutes, makes one wonder what type of work is truly happening. Or, is it a fun fest!1

"Working at corporate"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sidney, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sidney, NE

I worked at Cabela's (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice product discount if you've been there long enough. Strong relationships with the people you work with. Small town living with good school system.

Cons

As the focus turned to making Wall Street happy the management lost focus of what made Cabela's successful in the beginning.

8. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Club Outfitter in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Club Outfitter in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great store & products, nice people.

Cons

For part time employees more communication

Advice to Management

Make sure partimers get the same information as full timers

9. "Great Part Time Job - Love the Culture, Love the Customers"

Current Employee - Retail Outfitter in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Outfitter in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am employed seasonal part time. Which means I probably am the one with the least hours, but for me, I have a full time career and wanted to do something in my spare hours. I hear some grumbling from some outfitters, but I get where store management is coming from since I am an executive at another business with P&L responsibility. I get a lot of great pointers from both other employees and customers on fishing and hunting as well as hear their stories. They really try hard to treat customers with respect and do not mind you spending an hour talking to customer about their outdoor experiences. Great training and I enjoy being around other employees.

Cons

Hours and how they schedule is an issue. More or less paper driven. No online requests or swap that I know many service companies have for employees. I have not experienced it personally but some 'coaches' - department managers dont communicate well. As part time, I missed training sessions so I am a little light on latest things going on in the store. Appears the scheduling is done based on revenue and not need by department which is driven by Corporate and not the local store management. There have been weekends where only 1 person in fishing during the busy season when we should have at least 3 on the floor.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to request time off (electronic, vs paper) . Don't forget to train part-time folks that come in at night or weekends only. Bring staffing decisions to the store level. The corporate merchandisers should really be visiting the store and seeing what people are buying. Our store has had empty shelves since it opened with customers asking for the product daily and no way of knowing a shipment is coming in.

10. "Don't work there if you want a care"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

Pros

Good benifets and some good discounts

Cons

To many managers not knowing what they are doing

Advice to Management

Get there act together

11. "I enjoyed working for Cabela's."

Former Employee - Night Freight in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Night Freight in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, open, friendly, helpful management

Cons

Ended too soon. Was hired to open new location. after a year 14 of us were laid off.