Cabela's Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

3.3
Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner
Pros
  • "Happy Customers Strong Employee Discount(in 97 reviews)

• "get to work with a lot of intelligent people that are passionate about the outdoors(in 76 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They want you to sell their credit card to everyone(in 95 reviews)

• "Now that it's owned by Bass Pro Shops all decisions and direction comes from Springfield(in 66 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cabela's and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great job

May 8, 2021 - NICS Compliance Outfitter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good discount, good food, good friends

Cons

Management, CLUB cards, Schedule conflicts

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Eh

May 3, 2021 - Footwear Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

It wasn't very hard work and pay is over minimum wage. You will also meet many interesting people here. One of my coworkers was a lead project manager for his main job and he just worked at cabelas for a couple hours a week to get the discount on fishing supplies.

Cons

If your team is made up of slackers and you are not a slacker, you are expected to do more. I once had to prepare the entire department for inventory. I had a partner, but his girlfriend would come in for hours and he acted like she was a customer so that he could "assist her". Management is absent lots of the time and you have to fend for yourself. Also, as a woman, many customers thought it was ok to touch me. This happened in front of management a few times and they did nothing about it. Or they didn't recognize that they needed to do something. One MAJOR con is the club card. You are expected to sell 20 a year, which isn't a big goal or a big deal. What is the issue is how much they hound you every hour of everyday about it. This also reminds me that you have to have a radio in your ear every second of the day. This is for communication which I thought was going to be great. Turns out they just want to do an announcement every five seconds about club cards.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place for part-time work

Apr 15, 2021 - Camping Sales Associate in Fort Mill, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I didn't work there for very long as it was just for the summer and I had to go back to school, but I really did enjoy working there. My boss was focused and direct but also cool and had a great sense of humor, and my coworkers were also interesting and respectful individuals that I enjoyed conversing with.

Cons

Unfortunately, after being acquired by Bass Pro, they started drastically cutting costs. During my time at Cabela's we were using iPods with a proprietary case and software used for scanning store items and other store-related tasks, and they worked very well and were very easy to use. However, Bass Pro has been trying to phase out the employee iPods and is replacing them with scanning devices from 20 years ago, and these devices are loaded with a special type of Windows that looks extremely similar to Windows 95. Suffice to say, these scanning devices are not nearly as intuitive and efficient as the iPods, but Bass Pro is implementing them in Cabela's stores because apparently they will somehow be overall less expensive, which I find dubious at best.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I just want to read the dang info idk why you're making me fill this out first

Apr 25, 2021 - Outfitter in Buffalo, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

really really really good discount

Cons

had a lot of weird coworkers

5. 5.0

Apr 28, 2021 - Cashier in Sun Prairie, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is a good place to work.

Cons

Trying to sell credit cards.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Perfect for retired.

May 3, 2021 - Sales Floor Outfitter
      Business Outlook

Pros

The discount is amazing. Its really the only perk about working there.

Cons

Credit Cards. All day. All they care about. Typical retail, customer base isn't bad at all, but always a few bad apples. Management isn't all that terrible, but our location goes through gms like jeans.

7. 4.0

Pretty decent

Apr 25, 2021 - Outfitter in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good hours and really good discount

Cons

Have to schill credit cards

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cabela's

Apr 26, 2021 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really warm place and inviting

Cons

Standing for very long periods of time

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Meh

May 8, 2021 - Department Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people to work WITH

Cons

Hours, schedule and pay is abyssal.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Terrible

Apr 30, 2021 - Machine Operator in Tooele, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and good co-workers.

Cons

Mandatory OT all the time Turn over rate due to that OT is astounding, it is not told to people up front. They show up for their first shift and told to pick a day to work OT. So you're either working 4 12s or 5 10s every week. Management has gone down the drain, they care more about numbers than their employees. Sometimes they schedule their people 14 12hr shifts in a row.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,528 Reviews