51% would recommend to a friend
(2138 total reviews)
Thomas L. Millner
53% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The people are great and you're really encouraged to go out and try products." (in 158 reviews)
- "The coworkers were great" (in 83 reviews)
- "Benefits are good" (in 65 reviews)
- "Flexible Hours are available at this retail merchant" (in 57 reviews)
- "Great employees and discount on branded products" (in 39 reviews)
- "Some of the management was poor" (in 199 reviews)
- "Low pay Management doesn't help or offer guidance when needed There is no balance of work and home life" (in 151 reviews)
- "These same managers do not consider promoting their employees but seem to get promotions for themselves." (in 79 reviews)
- "My upper Management came from Wal'Mart and Sams club, and also brought the same ideas." (in 36 reviews)
- "Poor communication and lack of room for upward promotion" (in 23 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Cabela's and is not affected by filters.
Found 2,138 of over 2K reviews
Updated Dec 6, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 2.0Nov 30, 2023Retail Sales AssociateFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSugarcreek, OH
Discount was amazing, 40% on cabela's branded merch. Not great on everything else. Sometimes they are flexible to work with you, depends on the managers you're paired with.
Upper management favors its own. If they do something that violates their rule book, no one actually gets in trouble. They call them up to the office to slap them on the wrist. But if a regular employee gets in trouble, its basically on until they can find a reason to fire you. Also, pay was outrageously different. One girl I knew wasn't even making $10/hr there and I started at just over $10. A new kid was hired on and they were immediately at $13.50, and it was their first job.
- 2.0Nov 29, 2023Human ResourcesFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Working at Cabela's was a great learning experience for me. I really enjoyed my schedule & I met many great people. This position opened a lot of doors for me so I am grateful for that.
I had an amazing manager/mentor who taught me so much, then they resigned & I got a new manager. My new manager would blame any and all department failures on me, to avoid taking any responsibility herself. My confidence went from being pretty high to very low during that transition. I wanted to learn from her & grow professional, but instead I felt like I was being used as a scapegoat.
- 1.0Oct 10, 2023Gun Vault SpecialistFormer Employee, more than 1 yearUnion Gap, WA
Great coworkers and great discount
Please, PLEASE fix the management problem (person) at this store. I thoroughly enjoyed my work but the atmosphere became increasingly toxic over the two years I worked here. Twice, there was a clean sweep of the gun counter where essential employees were fired in groups for no reason, leading to massive swings in responsibility loads. You cannot expect a non-management employee to effectively "manage" a gun counter AND vault with no pay increase, and you cannot operate 7 days a week, 12 hours a day with only one full time employee and two part-timers because you fired 5 people in the span of a week. It doesn't work, period. You cannot expect someone under management level to "suck it up" and deal with it until you get new hires in and THEN expect them to train all of them under strict ATF standards (NO MISTAKES) on top of all of your other duties. You are stressing your employees out and for retail pay it is not worth it.3
- 2.0Dec 4, 2023Distribution Center AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsTooele, UT
Don't really have any good things
Horrible manager Never get a day off during peak You will never see your family
- 3.0Nov 10, 2023Sales Floor/Softlines Team MemberCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearLacey, WA
Awesome coworkers and feeling of community, easy to understand/execute tasks, friendly customers and easy workflow within the computer systems.
Management is constantly negative, typically understaffed and not looking to hire, never goes over full training to the position tasks, targeting certain employees, does not listen to employee concern, inconsistent scheduling, passive-aggressive behavior.1
Cabela's Reviews FAQs
Cabela's has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 2,175 reviews left anonymously by employees. 51% of employees would recommend working at Cabela's to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
51% of Cabela's employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cabela's 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.