Cabela's Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cabela's President & CEO Thomas L. Millner
Thomas L. Millner

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to get extra hours or even get full time status (in 44 reviews)

• For part time employees more communication (in 43 reviews)

"Despite turmoil with merger, good place to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are very nice, talented people.

Cons

The executive leadership could not be worse.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people. They want to be their best for you, but the secrecy surrounding the merger makes it hard to get there.

2. "Overall a great place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Outfitter in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Outfitter in Allen, TX

I worked at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Fun place to work
    *Co-workers are friendly
    *Great break room (inside and outside)
    *Feel like part of the team within your first week
    *Talking with customers often turns into a conversation rather than a boring sales pitch
    *Get to work with your hands
    *Get to test products all the time
    *Often get the opportunity to learn/improve outdoor hobbies while working
    *Great discount opportunities through the store and even better discounts through other sources that are only granted to employees
    *Great traditions
    *Most managers are nice and understanding
    *Got to wear jeans w/cowboy boots everyday
    *Opportunity to move up
    *Very easy call-in number for when you are running late, calling in sick etc. Call goes directly to a voicemail and you only talk to that.

Cons

*Schedules are made 3 weeks out, making it difficult to ask off for days in advance
    *Customers alway come in and try to hassle you for better deals, and then get mad at you when you cant because you aren't authorized. this happens a lot.
    *There is a lot to learn and it can be easy to forget/ignore after youre done with training
    *Customer theft is very high
    *Swapping shifts is very difficult if you don't have coworker phone numbers, which Cabelas doesn't give out, even for managers numbers. This is very frustrating and is the only business like this that i've seen operate this way.
    *Scheduling is all on paper and has no online presence, which is very inconvenient.
    *Management is "strict" on tardiness and how many breaks you take, however I must have fallen between the cracks because I often would clock in more than 5 minutes late and i ALWAYS took either long lunches or more breaks than allowed or both. But this was not the case for everyone so don't expect it.

Advice to Management

Management should be more open to letting employees explore other departments. I had been working in my department for my first several months and i learned it pretty well and our department was very understaffed. In my last months our department was overstaffed with over 8 people(which is a lot for a softline department) so i asked management for permission to start spending some time in a hardline department(departments with more revenue and experience). So for my last month or two i worked in this department, which was very understaffed, and i loved it had the opportunity to learn a new sport which i now love. Then through miscommunications with managers i was told to never go back to that department very rudely and head back to my overstaffed department which i had grown out of. One manager wanted me in the hardline department and my softline manager wanted me to spend more time in his department. so this blew up and resulted in them very rudely telling me to never go back to that department where i had now befriended all the employees in it and gotten comfortable in. This was just one of a few instances where management handled things poorly through their errors and i was fed up so i quit right then and there. Came back for one more shift during my two weeks and left early and never came back. The management became a real problem.

"Customer Service Represenative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Cabela's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with , The on going education for your job to help you to succeed,

Cons

the late schedule ,and that the company shortly after I left had sold it to Bass Pro after telling employee's our jobs would not be effected and they were.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your employees, Don't tell them one thing when in reality it may not be accurate.

5. "Overall job experience is great although there are a lot of hurdles and red tape."

Current Employee - Associate Category Manager in Sidney, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Category Manager in Sidney, OH

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Atmosphere and work-life balance has been a true bonus of working for this company. Company discount is also generous if you have been there long enough.

Cons

Red tape and lack of clear concise business direction is a real hinderance while trying to manage the business week to week.

Advice to Management

Stay the course on new company objectives.

6. "thumbs up."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers are amazing to work with and definitely the best perk. Everybody makes an honest attempt to get to know you. The gig is constantly steady, making for fast days and the majority of customers are fun to work with. I was searching for just seasonal work at the time I applied, but as long as I can see a way to continue climbing the ladder upwards, I'll have reason to stick around.

Cons

Hours were cut drastically. 12 hours after Christmas was over, seasonal employees were laid off and pt employees were getting 12-20 hours a week. Hiring has yet to resume, leaving employees to cover multiple departments and positons.

Advice to Management

Rearrange! It breathes new life into sections that constantly carrry redundant stock. Example: I never could figure out why the "media center" was kicked out to no mans land. Could be a decent money maker is 99% of people could see it.

7. "An Unsurprising Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, MI

I have been working at Cabela's part-time

Pros

Coworkers are agreeable
    Good online discounts (3point5/Expertcity)
    Some ability to move to jobs within store
    Lots of work during holidays

Cons

Pay is low (McDonald's pays $0.50 more an hour)
    Hard to move into full time positions

Advice to Management

Give more bonus opportunities to warehouse employees that give support to store front employees

8. "Outfitter-Clothing"

Current Employee - Outfitter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cabela's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, fellow staff, in-store management.

Cons

Public company beholden to the whims of shareholders. Management often made decisions to minimize costs, at all costs (reduction in customer service quality), fewer hours, etc. in order to appease directives from corporate, even though this heavily lowered store morale and employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Take a more laid back approach to running the store. In training we're often told that "we sell fun", and management should take such notions into account.

9. "Cabela's - Small town life"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Designer in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Designer in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work on design with some of the best people in the industry.

Cons

Underpaid and company future is uncertain

Advice to Management

It is a small town and you can't use that to underpay people who are worth a lot more.

10. "Good Times"

Former Employee - Archery Outfitter in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Archery Outfitter in Allen, TX

I worked at Cabela's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The retail store smells fantastic. Always smell like roasted pecans or something. Also even at the busiest time of the year it is still very stocked and easy to help customers find what then need.

Cons

If you are temporary like I was no one wants to teach you how to do something because they figure well he will just be gone in a few weeks and all I taught him will be for nothing. So it can be difficult figuring out their confusing computer system's database and it's very old interface.

Advice to Management

By now having a clean and modern interface for the item lookup should be a priority because the old database is clunky and hard to use.

"Good culture, but trying to hard to be walmart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NE

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, great place to live and advance your career.

Cons

Corporate is kind of out in the middle of nowhere but I like it.

Advice to Management

Quit paying lip service to our original core values. We are not walmart and we need to value our retail culture like we used to. Our founder would be ashamed of how we treat our retail employees.