Cabot Microelectronics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cabot Microelectronics Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Noglows
Bill Noglows

Pros
  • The work- life balance is superb as employees have an abundance of time off (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits (healthcare, 401K, stock options, tuition reimbursement) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • In R&D a full-time Lean Six Sigma role can be challenging with current (in 4 reviews)

• Depending on job type there is potential for significant time spent outside core hours in video meetings with colleagues in Asia (in 3 reviews)

1. "leader in technology"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Oswego, IL

I worked at Cabot Microelectronics (More than 10 years)

Pros

a great place to work

Cons

all projects are priority A

Advice to Management

Keep up

2. "Operations/Quality, Aurora, IL"

Current Employee - Procurement in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Procurement in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, challenging, and interesting work in the semiconductor industry. Terrific support from management, coaching/learning, caring, and risk taking are valued along with getting results. Company recently implemented 12 weeks paternity, combined with very generous vacation and 401k. Company is aggressively pursuing growth, opportunities for advancement for high performing individuals will follow.

Cons

Meetings are excessive. Depending on job type there is potential for significant time spent outside core hours in video meetings with colleagues in Asia.

Advice to Management

Engage the workforce on meetings best practices (agendas, punctuality, documentation, is there a real need?). Some leaders are doing this already, but it could be addressed in a more structured way.

3. "Family like atmosphere"

Current Employee - Operations Associate and Maintenance Technician in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room for career development if that's what you desire. Internal Six Sigma training is great and ample time is allotted for projects. Management is good at listening to feedback. Not much micromanagement if you're a productive employee. Coworkers are friendly giving the place a family type atmosphere. Good benefits (healthcare, 401K, stock options, tuition reimbursement).

Cons

The company is global but not that large. Not a ton of opportunities for promotion. At times it can feel as though you're waiting for people to retire or die in order to move up in the food chain even if you possess the education to back up. Work environment could be cleaner.

Advice to Management

Slurry factory could be a cleaner environment. Particularly the Dispersion (Mixer) Room. Better enforcement of 5S would go a long way with making the factory more efficient and presentable to customers.

"Good pay & benefits, but a long work week"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are growth opportunities, Six Sigma culture, fair compensation, 4 weeks vacation to start, and good benefits package. Despite a considerable amount of restructuring, lay-offs were kept to a minimum.

Cons

Poor work - life balance. There were a lot of extra hours expected and sometimes required. Staff were expected to check emails during weekends and off - time.

Advice to Management

Let employees have some work free time with their families where they are not expected to check their emails on the weekends.

"Not what it seems"

I worked at Cabot Microelectronics full-time

Pros

What it seems to the outside world: leader in the field, a modern company with good pay and benefits in an attractive location

Cons

Extremely poor leadership and human capital management in the R&D department. Constantly reshuffled teams, promoted competition rather than cooperation, high pressure and destructive (not constructive) criticism leading to high voluntary and involuntary turnover.

Advice to Management

None. Advice to prospective research scientists: do your research before deciding to join them, gauge turnover from LInkedIn, reach out to former and current employees and ask questions.

"Don't plan on a long career here"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Aurora, IL

I worked at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They seem to recognize that a high salary is about the only way they are going to attract people to this place, so if you are a survivor you'll do pretty well financially. Might be OK for new people to get your foot in the door of industry for a couple of years. I really did like quite a few of my coworkers.

Cons

I take a very dim view of the management here at all levels. It's not a happy place Basically they make life impossible for their R&D staff. If you do too much research, you'll be criticized for not spending enough time on development, and vice versa. Scientists constantly being let go or made to feel "lucky" they were just getting demoted or transferred to non-R&D jobs. Without me even asking, many people confided in me that they were looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Seriously reconsider the rank-and-yank culture. Some of that 30 year old equipment in the cleanroom (floppy drives? really?) is an embarrassment. You want people to work faster, give them the tools to do it and cut the presentations/meetings in half

"CMC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talented technical team at working levels.

Cons

Customers are unwilling to listen to process capabilities

"Great benefits; flexible work schedules!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules; excellent benefits; great people to work with! It is a smaller company, so it is easier to get to know your colleagues.

Cons

The cons are not much different than most other good places to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the necessary management training.

10. "Decent place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance was good. I got along very well with the Directors and Vice President in my group. They try very hard to be inclusive. The work was interesting as well as my job tasks. The VP and Directors were very flexible with no micro-managing. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

Some of the people in my peer level were very cut-throat however it was not tolerated by my VP.

11. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Scientist in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Scientist in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Cabot Microelectronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team members are supportive and respectful. There is high potential for growth in this Company. Lateral movement within the Company into other business units is also entertained.

Cons

Competitive and high pressure (could be pro or cons depending on personality type). I have no complains!

Advice to Management

Continue inspiring the employees by giving them creative space to continue and grow.