Cactus Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2019

Found 196 reviews

3.4
Abhishek Goel

"Very friendly work place"

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

Great culture No hierarchical system, it is easy to approach your boss/ seniors Fun place to work. Thanks to the HR dept

Cons

in case of taking leave, no proper work hand-over process

Cactus Communications2015-08-27

""Laughable" indeed and not for US!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

Can't think of any. As a freelancer, I was able to part ways very quickly.

Cons

Completely agree that the fee scheme is laughable. Many of the manuscripts are in very poor English and will require of hours of work to make them publishable—and that will drive your earnings into less-than-minimum-wage territory! Also, many of the journals they are targeting for submission are very low quality. All around, it's a bottom of the barrel operation.

Cactus Communications2015-08-23
  3. "Editor"

I worked at Cactus Communications full-time

Pros

It's about cultural fit. The job offers flexibility. People are really nice and approachable.

Cons

Everything is constantly changing.

Cactus Communications2015-07-23

"Cactus"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

Interesting assignments. This is interesting side work, though the pay is not very good.

Cons

Some very strange ideas on how to operate. I was given a "test" (without my knowledge) in which I was asked questions about an essay I reviewed. I gave feedback suggesting that certain passages and words were better; the reviewer claimed otherwise and asked for revisions that I felt were less effective. Research while disputing these changes revealed to me that the article in question had actually already been published...

Advice to Management

Be more clear in expectations.

Cactus Communications2015-07-03

"Good part-time job for students; not something to live off of"

Current Employee - Freelance Academic Editor in College Park, MD

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

I gave this job 3 stars because as a student, it provides me with pocket money and I can do it from anywhere. Sometimes I learn about interesting topics, and the managing editors provide solid feedback so you can improve as an editor. The work is highly flexible. If you consistently receive good QFR scores, you receive assignments pretty regularly.

Cons

Depending on the difficulty and length of the text, you are probably getting paid minimum wage. The work can be quite tedious, and you are expected to re-edit for free. This job is good for part-time income, but it's not enough to live off of. I would recommend it for people who are in between jobs or students, but not as a full time career.

Advice to Management

The company should value its editors more highly by paying them for re-editing at least half of what they receive for a regular job.

Cactus Communications2015-04-13

"Creative Environment"

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

Great people, very creative, good work atmosphere.

Cons

Demanding clients, less than standard pay in the industry.

Cactus Communications2015-05-06

"Entry level freelance neurobiology/neuroscience editor"

Current Employee - Freelance Science Editor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

Work from home, gain experience with different journal formats, learn to be a better science writer and editor.

Cons

Infrequent assignments; pay scale is okay, but dependent on how much editing work the article needs; not as easy to communicate with managing editors as I would like.

Advice to Management

Increase ability for freelance editors to communicate with managing editors.

Cactus Communications2015-02-19

"Does not value talent"

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

- flexible hours which employees are able to set on their own and change as needed - control over amount of work (in terms of volume) - good hiring practices (thorough vetting of applicants) - good communication with new hires

Cons

- Extremely poor compensation. Laughable, really. Company is looking for highly qualified hires, but does not pay nearly sufficient for the credentials they are looking for (advanced degrees, commitment to perfection). I could not afford this job.

Cactus Communications2015-02-11

"Cactus Communications"

Current Employee - Freelance Editor in Trevose, PA

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

The managers are friendly and accommodating, and they are always willing to work with new-hires as they become accustomed to company protocols. The work is semi-regular, and can be done easily from home. Depending on the papers you get to edit, there are many opportunities to learn and expand one's experience.

Cons

The work IS only semi-regular. It's very good for a bit of extra money; however, it is not something that can support you as your ONLY source of income. Now, this may be unfair-- It could be that it takes time to build up a reliable inflow of papers to edit, and earn a higher rate per word for your work. In any case, as you do well, and build up a history of good work, you can get more work.

Advice to Management

None.

Cactus Communications2015-01-19

Cactus Communications Response

January 21, 2015President

I think you may be referring to this company: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cactus-Communications-Reviews-E475444.htm Not Cactus Sky Communications. We do not have any freelance editors. Thanks!

"Good experience, but not sustainable long-term"

Former Employee - Freelance Academic Editor

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

Freelancing for Cactus is a great way to build up experience if you're a skilled editor but need more experience under your belt. You get a wide and interesting variety of papers to edit, so you learn many new things! If you show a proven track record of deadline adherence and high-quality edits, they'll rapidly expand your workload offering and give you more challenging work. I was rapidly "promoted" during my short...

Cons

The amount of work offered to me quickly became overwhelming. I was often put in the position of having to turn down work or ask for extensions, as often the scheduling was simply not realistic for the amount and level of work required, and impossible deadline conflicts were common. Cactus was always happy to help with these conflicts, but it did sometimes become annoying having to push back so much. All freelancers are...

Cactus Communications2014-12-04