Cactus Sky Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Cactus Sky Communications Reviews

Cactus Sky Communications President Peter Martin
Peter Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I'm having a good time."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Timonium, MD

I have been working at Cactus Sky Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a web developer at Cactus Sky. It's fast-paced, like breakneck speed, which isn't for everyone but if you are A.D.D like me it's fantastic. My co-workers are great (the ones I didn't like have moved along), YAY, because who likes getting stuck with people you don't work well with? The pay is good. For me the commute is fantastic and the people I report to are funny and easy to talk too. My creative input is considered even tho, really it doesn't need to be. My colleagues have talent and often surprise me with their concern for producing a solid product. And the Owner's mother is the greatest.

Cons

I don't really have any, however, it is really fast paced with deadlines, sometimes this creates stress for people. If other people's stress bothers you, this would be a con.

"The positive reviews"

Pros

Not too many here at Csd, lead igniter, testimonial builder or the other names Peter Martin uses.

Cons

The positive reviews were written upon request as a task by the owner.

Advice to Management

Close.

"Not an Honest Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Cactus Sky Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best things that I got out of working for this company was getting to talk to clients who were some really nice people and the few friends I made while I was there.

Cons

I have read through many of the reviews and felt it important for people that are looking to work for this company to know what they will be getting into. On the second week that I worked there, another employee told me, "do not expect this to be a forever job." At that time I thought this was just a disgruntled employee but as time went on, I began to understand this employees feelings.

Most employees do not last very long with this company. Most if not all positive reviews have been written by employees still at the company per the owners request.

This company expects you to work hard with unpaid overtime and no incentives. If you try to work at home because of a sick child or because you just gave birth, do not expect to get paid much if at all as you will be told that it is not possible that you worked that many hours and in most cases, you will end up fired because you tried to stand up for yourself.

I read the review where the person was speaking about the reviews just look like back and forth bickering, in general, showing both sides attacking. I can say that some of that is probably true but it is true that the owner is very egotistical and feels he never does wrong. He can tell an employee to do something one way for a client even though you know that is not what the client wants and you try to explain that to him but you do anyway to appease the boss only in the end to have him push blame on you and denying he ever told you to do this.

While I was there, a young man was going through the resumes when they were planning to hire another account manager. One of the processes was looking at pictures of the females online to qualify their looks. When one of those females left from the interview this person actually commented that she tricked him by having a much younger picture online and she will not be hired.

This is a small company and a couple of years ago that had more than half the staff walk out due to the way they were being talked to or talked down to, especially the females. Some very talented people have worked there but the talented ones do not last because they realize this is not the type of company you want your name attached to.

This company has been around for a long time so you think they would at least be established enough to afford an office space, which they did for awhile and just might now but at one point they were running the business out of their home because they could not afford the overhead.

Generally, I am not the type of person that writes things like this and it did take me a while to do so but I was told about a recent post from a person that was looking at Glassdoor to see how this companies reviews look and realized, I would not want anyone going through what I went through at that company. There is so much more I could say but I am going to leave it at this.

After reading this, if you think no place can be that bad then give a shot. As they say, live and learn.

Advice to Management

I really do not feel that any advice I would give to Management would be paid any attention so I am not going to bother.

"Run From This Company At Top Speed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Timonium, MD

I have been working at Cactus Sky Communications full-time

Pros

It is technically a business. So there is that. Aside from that, there are really no pros at all, in truth.

Cons

This could take all day. From reliably not being paid on time, to senior management who doesn't trust the people he hires, and has nothing short of a fleeting attention span, it is an absolute nightmare to work for someone like this. Employees are basically peasants, field hands, to the senior management. Good luck finding real live human being employees who are happy to be there.

Advice to Management

Spend less time writing fictional reviews on glassdoor and go learn some people skills. You have a good business idea that you do not know how to implement. That, should be your focus, not attacking those employees who are trying to help you.

5. "Excellent Company and Work Place"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bradenton, FL

Pros

I have worked with Cactus Sky and Peter Martin on and off for several years. This is a great company to work for! They are always on top of new technology in order to offer nothing but the best service to their clients! Clients deserve to be treated like human beings and not just money and at Cactus Sky, that is the treatment they receive, great treatment and quality work!
    Peter is also a very stand up guy. He does what he says he will do and does not just treat his employees as if they are his property no matter what. If you deserve a raise, he will do his best to provide one for you. If he promises you something, he follows through. That is a big plus in my book since I have taken jobs in the past where they make all these promises of great things during the hiring process just to watch it all get ignored.
    If you don't mind working hard while on the clock, multi-tasking and talking to great clients, Cactus Sky is the best place to work in my book.

Cons

The only cons I would say there ever has been is that Peter has a big heart and some employees continue or have continued to push and see how far they can go and how much they can take advantage, in general, how much they could goof off and get paid for it. Those people generally cause disruption throughout the offices. It is hard for Peter to discipline or have to fire people. I would like to add to all of those people of the past, stop blaming your short comings and life issues on working for Cactus Sky. Grow up, one person or one job does not equal destroying your life and just because your mad because Peter ended up having to take control of the situation does not give you the right to say all of the negative things you have said. I think you have forgotten all of the positive things Peter did for you. Sorry if you prefer to play games on your phone or spend the day on Facebook and not actually work. Welcome to adulthood.

Advice to Management

Write people up then fire them if they do not correct their issues.

6. "Energetic, Rapidly Growing Communications Company"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Cactus Sky Communications full-time

Pros

As the human resources director, I have worked closely with all of the employees regarding their personal issues. The company has extremely flexible policies related to working from home and taking time off. We have employed several parents including single mothers and have been more than accommodating to their schedules and specific needs. Employee with children have been allowed to adjust their time to coordinate with school schedules. We allowed one employee to come in late and leave early in order to drop off and pick her child up from daycare. We allowed another employee to change her schedule from 9 to 5 to 7 to 3 to be able to get her children to and from school. We also allow employees to work from home when they need to. We have hired employees that have had health issues or disabilities that made it challenging for them to get to the office, so we provided them with projects and work to complete outside of the office.
    We pay extra attention to the needs of our employees. The office is always stocked with necessary supplies and when an employee makes a special request we do our best to get them the supplies they need as soon as possible. All of the computers are fairly new and equipped with top of the line programs including the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office. We want to make sure our team has access to all of the programs necessary to do their job to its fullest potential. Some employees are issued company laptops if their position involves working remotely from time to time.
    There is also a very positive company culture. Employees are more than happy to work together and go the extra mile. When it is someone's birthday everyone is treated to lunch and cake. We also try to celebrate special occasions to make everyone feel appreciated. There are performance based bonus incentives to reward employees for their hard work.

Cons

Some trust issues have arisen over the past few months. Past employees have taken advantage of our flexible policies and not completed outside work and also stolen company property. We have done our best to cleanse the team of these bad apples and our current team is very trustworthy and close-knit.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be more careful with new hires. Maybe a probationary period before the issuance of a company laptop. Our flexible policies is one of the benefits about working here so I don't think those should be eliminated. Trust is integral to any office environment and we have a good level of trust now that we should maintain.

7. "Fast Paced"

Pros

I enjoy being challenged constantly. Everyday I learn something I can use in my daily affairs. I had basic tech qualifications and specifically what to expand my knowledge in this area. I enjoy the nights, weekends and holidays off.

Cons

Past employees have been challenging.

"Very Progressive company that is on the move!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cactus Sky Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for a little over two weeks now, and some of the things I really like are: 1. positive work environment, 2. work with some great professionals, 3. company focused on delivering great customer service to clients, and marketing great products to our clients, 4 "nimble" company that can react fast to changes, 5. work - life balance

Cons

Have not come across anything at this time that I do not like.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, it can only get better!

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Cactus Sky Communications full-time

Pros

I worked for Cactus Sky for quite some time. Working there was a great experience. These days, most employers do not care about their employees and only care about themselves by paying low wages but treating the employee like they owe you their lives just because they gave you a job. It is not that way at Cactus Sky. Peter Martin is a great business owner that really cares about his employees! The only reason I left is because of a life changing experience that forced me into having to move from the area.

During my time at Cactus Sky, Peter and his wife treated my entire family like part of theirs. I went through a situation with one of my children and Peter was there with encouraging words and helped me through. To this day, I still feel that they are part of my family and we stay in contact.
    As far as the work environment goes, how many people can say that they work 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, can take an hour lunch and still get paid full time wages and good wages at that. Before the drama team started working there, everyone worked well as a team and the work got done. The company was growing so we needed hire on more people. Everyone that was already there thought the people that we had hired were going to be a great addition to the team but it turned out not to be the case. The drama team would come into work, pretty much when they wanted. Two of these people generally showed up around 9:30 in the morning but made sure they were out by 5 if not earlier. I believe this group also thought work was just their playground. They would be playing games on their computers or posting on Facebook when they should have been working then complain about how bad a customer was when the customer would complain about the work not getting done. Some would not even come to work just because they had the sniffles. A couple of these people did end up in the hospital when they had only been with the company a short time but Peter still paid them for those days off.

In all, after reading these reviews, I got extremely angry. Peter did everything to help these people out (I can tell who they are by the way they wrote their reviews). Yes, he did have to sit down with them and discuss focusing more on the work then on their Facebook pages or whatever else it may be but he is trying to run a business, not a daycare. I’m so sorry if it hurt your feelings because he felt he needed to discuss your actions at work with you but the company does not deserve these negative postings. In the end, I think Peter was too nice to this group and the group in turn just walked all over him.

In closing, I think that if you are looking for a good job with a great boss in the Bradenton area, Cactus Sky is the place to work. If you are looking for a great company that believes in providing their customers with the best work possible, hire them, they won’t disappoint.

Cons

There are no cons any longer since the drama team is gone.

"a misstep by accepting the position"

Pros

There are a lot of positive people will skill and talent that with proper leadership could be an effective and productive team.

Cons

The downfall is the owner has little no concern about the employees is simply self serving draining the resources of the company only to serve his ego and bloated idea of being above everyone around him. He is involved in legal battles and refuses to take responsibility for his shortcomings and the continually loss of clients.

Advice to Management

Humble yourself and realize that the success of your company is directly impacted by the morale that you build or destroy in regards to the people that work for you.

Cactus Sky Communications Response

Nov 5, 2014 – President

It is unfortunate that you had such a negative experience with the leadership at Cactus Sky. The company has been in business for 14 years and my door is always open and would have appreciated it... More